New Audeze LCD-2
post-11896453
Post #1 of 3

Hellvis

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Just got a new pair of Audeze LCD-2...love them so far, questions:
1. Break in...is it true? Does 10-12 of white noise do the trick?
2. Best desktop tube amp (without selling and arm and a leg) ?...I like the warmth tube amps seem to give vs non-tube amps.

post-11897636
Post #2 of 3

Beyakusenn

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
1) It has not been proved yet that break in actually does influence the sound. It hasn't been disproven either, but I do believe myself that psychological burn in is a much more significant change. Everyone's brains adapt to new circumstances (new sound) over time.
If break-in does make measurable and audible changes in the sound, I wonder whether those changes can be interpreted as improvements. Maybe it's just a change in colouration.

2) I understand what you mean by the warmth of tube-amps, but not all tube amps have a warm sound signature and not all tubes have the same amount of harmonic distortion. A 'best' tube amp often depends on personal tastes unless you sell an arm and a leg and buy a set of Woo Audio WA234 MONO.
Some solid state amps have been designed to have similar harmonic distortion to tube amps. If I want extra warmth in my music, I use a self-made EQ-preset on Foobar2000. There are also parametric equalizers that can be modified to greater detail. Just look up how to equalize properly.

That's just my two cents. I am just one voice. Not everyone agrees with me, but I always try to be well informed and to keep an open mind.

post-11898970
Post #3 of 3

KG Jag

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
  Just got a new pair of Audeze LCD-2...love them so far, questions:
1. Break in...is it true? Does 10-12 of white noise do the trick?
2. Best desktop tube amp (without selling and arm and a leg) ?...I like the warmth tube amps seem to give vs non-tube amps.

There are entire threads here devoted to the LCD 2.  Included among them are threads discussing what amp drives this can well/the best.  You should take some time and check them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)