New AT Portables: ATH-ES10 and ATH-WS70
Apr 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #121 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burma Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Morph , How is the isolation and soundstage on the es10? I'm trying to gage it using the Shure SRH 840 as a reference point. I would like to purchase a pair soon , so if anyone has some feedback would be much welcome.

Isolation isn't really good, fine for a walk or in the office but I don't think they work well in a bus/train/plane/etc.

Soundstage - so far not good, even IE8's beat ES10's soundstage-wise, however I remember that ESW9's opened up a bit after few weeks so I hope it will be the same with these.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #122 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Rideau,

How would you compare your ES10 with your W3 regarding frequency response ?

Also, are the ES10 warm enough to play jazz ? Especially brass ?

Overall, are they a real improvement over your W3 in terms of instruements separation, details, etc. ?

thanks !

MayaTlab I have not forgotten about you, just trying to put together some thoughts for you. At the moment I'm still burning in but I can tell you that the sound is warm; listening to Melody Gardot at moment. Vocals are nice and forward, the mids are right behind her and the bass is on the bottom
not overshadowing her. The soundstage is not that wide, but time will tell with the burn in. Over all right now the sound is smooth, detailed and the bass is nice and tight.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #123 of 159
I have had my ES-10's for about 3 weeks and I have not listened to anything else since. Burn in took a minute and frankly right out of the box they scared me but since about 30 hours I have been thrilled. They truly sound like full sized cans. The bass is not only more detailed than my ESW-9's but it's also faster and more rhythmic. They have a visceral bottom punch that I have not heard in any portable phone or IEM. For posters who asked they are incredibly "fun". As with the ESW9's however, they are not terribly environment blocking....so make sure you turn 'em up
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #124 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my ES-10's for about 3 weeks and I have not listened to anything else since. Burn in took a minute and frankly right out of the box they scared me but since about 30 hours I have been thrilled. They truly sound like full sized cans. The bass is not only more detailed than my ESW-9's but it's also faster and more rhythmic. They have a visceral bottom punch that I have not heard in any portable phone or IEM. For posters who asked they are incredibly "fun". As with the ESW9's however, they are not terribly environment blocking....so make sure you turn 'em up
smily_headphones1.gif

Raelamb, I agree with you on that. I like my ES10 so much I got rid of my D5000's and have not listened to my W3's at all. The ES10 are just really nice and portable; good looking also.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #127 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 70s are so sexy looking, but the overall comfort level makes me not want them anymore after researching

just bend the headband with your hand. just remember not to overdo it.. but my es10's are way more comfortable out of the box

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #128 of 159
popcorn.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #130 of 159
Where are you guys buying your ES10? I did a quick google search and found a relatively good price at $370 from Aiko trading company (seems legit)... but like all good prices with headphones there is the risk of being knockoffs.

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #131 of 159
AccessoryJack is a bit more expensive but I have never had any issues with them on my 2 purchases and I know other head-fi members have had similar success.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #133 of 159
At least, not yet.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #134 of 159
I got my Ws70 a few days ago and am enjoying them very much.  If anyone gets the chance, test out the shure 840 earpads on them.  I know they are way bigger, but just trust me on this and try it.  Take the ws70 pads off and hold the shure pads on and put the set on your ears.  The sound coming through drastically reduces the bass but significantly increases the stage and sound quality.

I swear on my life it sounds like a smaller sounding version of the Shure 840 with the m50 coloring and sparkle.  The balance from low to high is excellent and its got a much more fun and warm sparkle sound than the shure 840.  Again, not as wide or tall sounding as either, but a great fun portable set. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #135 of 159
Do not be deceived by the looks...the ES10's are simply brilliant. I have not used anything else since 50 hours of break-in. They are a full sized headphone in a portable design. Viscerally impactful bass added to the ESW9's creamy mids and highs. They also do not have the design flaw that caused me to send my ESW9's back 3 times to repair. HIGHLY recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back