New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #32 of 248
Is there a storage box with the 8XX, and if so, does it have a foam cutout interior or the original satin-type material?

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #33 of 248
How many units in this original run? I saw it posted but can't seem to find it now.

Huge fan of my SDR HD800. Tough call, though, as there is quite of bit of competition in this range. A Zmf headphone to pair with my auteur? These? Try the Borealis? I guess the best way to look at it is we're spoiled for great choices.

Exciting drop, congrats on the collab :)

And @jwbrent had a great question as well...what kind of packaging will we be expecting?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #34 of 248
How many units in this original run? I saw it posted but can't seem to find it now.

Huge fan of my SDR HD800. Tough call, though, as there is quite of bit of competition in this range. A Zmf headphone to pair with my auteur? These? Try the Borealis? I guess the best way to look at it is we're spoiled for great choices.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #35 of 248

And @jwbrent had a great question as well...what kind of packaging will we be expecting?

I recall reading 3,000 units.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #36 of 248
It used to say 3000, but they took that number down.

In the comment section of the product page, drop employees stated that they had updated information from sennheiser saying that 3000 would be too high of an expectation for production to handle by the stated November shipping estimate.

We don’t know what the pre-order number limit for 2020 will be haulted at, but it will be lower than 3000.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #37 of 248
I live in CA, so Drop will charge sales tax, about 8%, so we’re up to almost $1,200 and a long wait. New HD800S stock is selling for $1,399 shipped, and if I use an out of state dealer, no tax. And no wait.

If I were to sell the included 4.4mm cable, there’s almost no cost difference between regular stock and the 8XX other than the Drop credit. Yes, I understand it has the new tuning, but the wait is an issue for this got-to-have-it-now audiophile. 🤔

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #39 of 248
@Sennheiser
Drop officially said they won't entertain out of warranty services. Meaning if your 8XX dies after 24 months, you are left on your own to try to find someone to fix it or deal with it yourself.
I'm guessing you guys wouldn't also be bothered with any warranty/outside warranty services since this product once sold is under the responsibility of Drop and Sennheiser will just take the cash from the collab and wipe your hands clean from this?

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #40 of 248
Going by history of drop it will be available for immediate shipping after November at same price.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #41 of 248
@Sennheiser
Drop officially said they won't entertain out of warranty services. Meaning if your 8XX dies after 24 months, you are left on your own to try to find someone to fix it or deal with it yourself.
I'm guessing you guys wouldn't also be bothered with any warranty/outside warranty services since this product once sold is under the responsibility of Drop and Sennheiser will just take the cash from the collab and wipe your hands clean from this?

Isn’t it standard for products outside of warranty, from any company, to lose free repair and replacements?

Am I missing something with your criticism?

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #43 of 248
Isn’t it standard for products outside of warranty, from any company, to lose free repair and replacements?

Not talking about free repair/replacement. As elira mentioned, you can't even pay them to service/repair your product.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #44 of 248

I rarely buy things over $1000 but I think an extra courtesy in the headphone industry is to allow for pair repairs, I guess that is what allows companies like Hifiman to compete with companies like Monoprice (1yr vs 5yr)

So really Senn nor drop aren't doing anything egregious or out of ordinary but that is the problem.
Correct me if I am wrong but Senn will service the regular HD800/S
So there you lose actual value

Second, this is a brand new design, I won't speculate on the reliability but Occam's razor here.
I think we can say for a consumer without any given info by Senn/Drop have to worry about reliability.

These two factors compound to a ratio that anybody may try to quantify and calculate differently as we all try to calculate risk and until we have information on reliability I think we can all agree most people are considering the actual cost of the product vs the HD800/S to be more per dollar than it would seem

However for anyone concerned about 2 year warrant I offer to you a glimmer of hope if an extra year helps; a PSA I wrote on the matter and it certainty applies here.

"https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/the...e-your-credit-cards-extended-warranty-policy/
Many credit cards offer an extra 1 year warranty on purchases, in fact many of you may have CC's on this list and purchased headphones without knowing you have an extra year of warranty."

If 3 years (and more than likely if it makes it or even gets replaced will go on for more, 4+ etc) is enough of a investment to buy I say go ahead

All products eventually become to costly to repair, almost all get updated and replaced, I think one of those is more likely to be the factor vs it breaking, Senn isn't known for bad quality products, the fact they are in on the tweaks really gives me confidence. If the extra year helps you buy then just make sure to confirm with your credit card company!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back