New arrivals season for SMSL, TOPPING, and MOONDROP
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44
Manufacturers have traditionally targeted the mid-year for new product launches, and SMSL, TOPPING, and MOONDROP are no exception. So let's take a look in our crystal ball and preview what's coming.

1st
SMSL has established a solid reputation for providing music lovers with the best value and finest sound quality. Loyal customers will know that the SU-8 was once the most popular product on the market. It sold out completely, and now SMSL has developed a worthy successor, the SU-8s DAC, featuring high-quality performance at the same budget price of 359.99USD, with full MQA support. It will go on sale at 10:00 am on June 10 (UTC+8).

1.jpg
2.jpg

2nd
And while we're on the subject of the SU-8s DAC, on the same day SMSL will release a matching headphone amplifier. Compared with its predecessor, the SH-8s features a number of outstanding improvements. Look forward to a big surprise! In the meantime we can reveal that the SH-8s will go on sale for only $229.99. For comprehensive measurements, please check with Audio Science Review and other audio forums.
6.jpg

3rd
Another item worthy of mention is SMSL's new high-resolution digital player, SD-9. Beautifully designed with full-featured performance, this multi-functional digital player, like the DP5, supports almost all music formats. Full MQA is also supported. It will be announced publicly on June 10, and the pre-order channel starts at 10am!
SD-9 (2).png
1.png

4th
Seize this season, TOPPING is also about to release their two latest families. Let's turn to the new EX5 DAC/AMP gear first, a product of TOPPING and SHENZHENAUDIO collaboration. It features two ES9038Q2M decoding chips and supports MQA & LDAC. Currently, we have no pricing or launch date.
6.jpg

5th
But wait, there's more exciting news from TOPPING! Due to the AK chip shortage, the D90/D90MQA versions have been discontinued, and TOPPING is planning a brand-new replacement DAC provisionally called the D90se. It adopts the top-end ES9038PRO DAC chip, with other parameters remaining to be announced. Unfortunately, it hasn't been priced yet. Don't forget to follow their official Facebook page for the latest news.
D90SE-01.jpg

6th
At our end, we would like to introduce an intriguing IEM from MOONDROP, which has not been listed yet. It has appeared in various Chinese headphone/audio EXPO shows and numerous guests have auditioned it and given their testimonials. As a result of this valuable feedback, MOONDROP has micro re-tuned the IEM and made it even better! Recently they have dropped some hints on their social media channels, listing Variations and its 1DD+2BA+2EST configuration. Rumour has it that it's hitting the market around mid-June. We look forward to seeing it!
微信图片_20210608163918.jpg

Finally, thanks for your time and reading, as always, we'd love to hear any questions, comments, and suggestions.

Last edited:
ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 44
What would you describe some of the differences as?
SU-8S is a little sharper sounding in the treble than the SU-9. I was able to blind test pick out the SU-9 pretty easily every time. The SU-9 is still super detailed but is missing the SABRE "glare" that the SU-8S definitely has.

The SH-8S looks like a SH-9 but without the screen and uses a normal volume knob vs the relay system in the SH-9. I don't have the SH-9 anymore but I think it still sounds really good. It doesn't suffer from a lean clinical sound but compared to more expensive amps it can sound a little dry at times. I still think both the SH-9(from review reference) and the more expensive SP400 sound a bit warmer but for the price it gets a pass from me. Plus the SH-8S isn't slanted like the SP200 so wins all around lol

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 44
SU-8S is a little sharper sounding in the treble than the SU-9. I was able to blind test pick out the SU-9 pretty easily every time. The SU-9 is still super detailed but is missing the SABRE "glare" that the SU-8S definitely has.

The SH-8S looks like a SH-9 but without the screen and uses a normal volume knob vs the relay system in the SH-9. I don't have the SH-9 anymore but I think it still sounds really good. It doesn't suffer from a lean clinical sound but compared to more expensive amps it can sound a little dry at times. I still think both the SH-9(from review reference) and the more expensive SP400 sound a bit warmer but for the price it gets a pass from me. Plus the SH-8S isn't slanted like the SP200 so wins all around lol
Have you tested the SH-8S with sensitive iems?

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 44
Have you tested the SH-8S with sensitive iems?
Not super super sensitive IEMs but the DUNU ZEN I have picks up hiss fairly easily and it only picked up hiss on high gain at like 11 o'clock with no sound. At that volume if I played music I think it would of killed my ears haha. I don't have Andros anymore to do the true sensitivity test unfortunately.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 44
Not super super sensitive IEMs but the DUNU ZEN I have picks up hiss fairly easily and it only picked up hiss on high gain at like 11 o'clock with no sound. At that volume if I played music I think it would of killed my ears haha. I don't have Andros anymore to do the true sensitivity test unfortunately.
So, no hiss on low!
That is great!
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back