New Apple Macbooks: Surprisingly Good Sounding
Oct 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
I thought I'd pop my head in here and just note that after a little time with the new Macbook (2.4 ghz edition) I'm quite surprised at how good its headphone jack is.

The rundown:
Very little noise from the processor or other parts. I think you'd hear them a tad with an IEM a little more, but with anything I currently have I hear black. I've yet to hear anything crackle-wise other than recording errors or intentional noises on my files.

Slightly bass heavy, but:

Surprisingly rich midrange with lovely warmth. On my DT 770-80, that's a welcome thing and this compliments them very nicely. Treble doesn't seem to be sibilant on recordings I've had problems with in the past.

Texture too is excellent. I like the way it renders sound a lot.

Anyway, I don't know if the new Macbook Pro shares this sound processor or amplifier, but I am really quite shocked by how good this computer sounds. My old Macbook Pro was an absolute mess when it came to audio of any kind. Nasty interference, and a totally unbalanced sound. Really welcome change of pace here.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 19

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Posts
742
Likes
11
Good to hear. I have played with them some but not on the audio side.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 19

osmo

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Posts
34
Likes
0
Yeah, I have also noticed an improvement. I purchased the Macbook Pro (entry level) last Wednesday so I have spent almost a week with it.

Another added bonus: I previously owned one of the white Macbooks and the fan was constantly running. The new Macbook and Macbook Pros hardly make any external noise.
regular_smile .gif
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 19

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Posts
886
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another added bonus: I previously owned one of the white Macbooks and the fan was constantly running. The new Macbook and Macbook Pros hardly make any external noise.
regular_smile .gif



Good to know.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 19

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have also noticed an improvement. I purchased the Macbook Pro (entry level) last Wednesday so I have spent almost a week with it.

Another added bonus: I previously owned one of the white Macbooks and the fan was constantly running. The new Macbook and Macbook Pros hardly make any external noise.
regular_smile .gif



Yeah, I can actually sit with it on my lap and play Spore or Warcraft. Both of which, by the way, play better than I'd expected on the integrated nVidia chipset.

I couldn't do that with my old MBP. It was far too hot to touch in most situations that involved even light computation or graphical stuffs.

Gonna move the rest of my iTunes library to my new Macbook and spend the day at work tomorrow listening to it. Pretty impressive so far.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 19

freckling

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 7, 2008
Posts
262
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I can actually sit with it on my lap and play Spore or Warcraft. Both of which, by the way, play better than I'd expected on the integrated nVidia chipset.

I couldn't do that with my old MBP. It was far too hot to touch in most situations that involved even light computation or graphical stuffs.

Gonna move the rest of my iTunes library to my new Macbook and spend the day at work tomorrow listening to it. Pretty impressive so far.



Do you own the new 2.4 ghz MB or 2.4 ghz MBP.

Apple seriously needs to rethink their naming scheme. Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, etc. So annoying sometimes.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 19

nghiasays

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Posts
141
Likes
0
All the profiler says is Intel High Definition Audio. Is there any other place I can check? I'm guessing the audio is apart of the nvidia chipset so I'm not surprised if it sounds better than the older models. I haven't played around with with analog out on the MBP but i'm loving the fact it does optical out.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 19

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2002
Posts
2,885
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own the new 2.4 ghz MB or 2.4 ghz MBP.

Apple seriously needs to rethink their naming scheme. Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, etc. So annoying sometimes.



Why? It's much simpler than before, with iBooks, Powerbooks, iMacs, Cubes, PowerMacs... Honestly, I do miss the "power" moniker but them I'm old and bitter and like my Firewire-ports. Boo hiss for the Firewire thing, Apple, seriously. Nice to hear the things sound good, at least.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 19

ozz

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
2,403
Likes
123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? It's much simpler than before, with iBooks, Powerbooks, iMacs, Cubes, PowerMacs... Honestly, I do miss the "power" moniker but them I'm old and bitter and like my Firewire-ports. Boo hiss for the Firewire thing, Apple, seriously. Nice to hear the things sound good, at least.


Firewire did not go away its just on the MacBook Pro.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 19

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2002
Posts
2,885
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firewire did not go away its just on the MacBook Pro.


I know. I (and a lot of other folks) simply have no need for a 15" on the go. You need to pay extra and you need to carry extra weight and it is bigger too. All for a port. No.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 19

freckling

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 7, 2008
Posts
262
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? It's much simpler than before, with iBooks, Powerbooks, iMacs, Cubes, PowerMacs... Honestly, I do miss the "power" moniker but them I'm old and bitter and like my Firewire-ports. Boo hiss for the Firewire thing, Apple, seriously. Nice to hear the things sound good, at least.


It's easier and simpler for me but if it ever comes up with any of my friends, it just gets annoying. "I bought a new apple laptop." "The macbook or macbook pro?" "Uhh, dunno, probably the pro" when in actuality it's most likely the MB. The annoying followup questions are what bother me the most.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top