New Apple M1 Macbook Air, M1 Macbook Pro, and M1 Mac Mini - Audio
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #31 of 48
I'll be curious how this works out for audio, with the Toslink or Coax digital outputs. Does the OS recognize the digital output and let you manage it?
Hi, sorry it took so long to look back here, and answer your question.

I ended up returning the Apple M1 Macbook Pro before the cables arrived and before I could test the Toslink/Coax outputs. Everything else on the Hyperdrive Gen2 Thunderbolt3 docking station worked so well I trust their Toslink / Coax ports are awesome too:
https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-gen2-thunderbolt-3-docking-station

A couple of things gave me pause when deciding whether to keep the Macintosh M1 Macbook Pro or send it back as the return period got closer.

The 13" size of the screen in practical use was way too small for me.

I kept the Macintosh M1 Macbook Pro in a vertical stand with my Samsung S6 tablet and used the Hyperdrive dock display port output to my 27" 1080p 144hz monitor, and the Macbook synced up fine. But, when I tried to use the laptop on it's own, the screen size was annoyingly small. I'm used to 17.3" and 18.4" laptop screens. At worst a 15.6" work laptop screen. But the M1's 13" screen was simply too tiny for me.

The dumbest problem was Apple's Security - my AppleID kept getting invalidated every day - sometimes a couple of times a day - and MacOS depends on "phoning home" constantly using that AppleID. MacOS features would stop working starting at boot when my AppleID was rejected! At first, I thought it was a single event, but it continued constantly after it started.

I called Apple a number of times and they couldn't figure out what was going on. They wanted me to confirm my ID with my "iPhone" - and when I said I didn't have an iPhone, they were at a loss as to how to fix the problem.

I wasn't about to buy an iPhone just so I could stabilize my Apple ID! Crazy Bad Apple!

I would heartily recommend all the accessories I bought for the M1, especially the Hyperdrive equipment USB and Thunderbolt docks.

I do not recommend the Apple M1 with the too-small screen, or MacOS's reliance on "phoning home", or AppleID Security, or Apple Support for that matter - it is crazy that they couldn't fix a simple account validation problem. What a waste of time that all was. :frowning2:

Up until the unending AppleID Security annoyances began I was considering upgrading to the Apple M1 Macbook Pro 16"/17" when it came out, but now I am not interested in investing in Apple Macintosh hardware again until Apple fixes the AppleID account validation problems for us, non-iPhone users.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 48
Curious about the need for macs to "phone home". Will have to try some airgapped mac work to see if it's a general problem. There is a software package called Little Snitch that shows exactly what programs are trying to call out. Most people don't know that firewalls are largely for blocking signals that are trying to get in.

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #33 of 48
Curious about the need for macs to "phone home". Will have to try some airgapped mac work to see if it's a general problem. There is a software package called Little Snitch that shows exactly what programs are trying to call out. Most people don't know that firewalls are largely for blocking signals that are trying to get in.
In the current macOS for Apple M1 Macbook Pro the AppleID is needed to access macOS updates and application updates, and to access other Apple Services through Apple Cloud, Apple Store, Apple Music, Apple Movies, probably AppleTV, and the MacOS Control Panel System configuration where you set up your AppleID are all insistent to have your AppleID and won't work correctly - each complains all the time - if you don't have it entered - or if your AppleID is "locked", you need to unlock it to access Apple resources.

I tried disabling all of the Cloud and Apple services that are configurable and adjusted the Firewall to reduce the calls home. And, even though I have a perimeter firewall I could use to lockout phone home connections, I didn't see how it would help to get rid of the constant dunning notices on the Apple M1 Macbook Pro asking to phone home and verify my AppleID.

This constant AppleID lockout annoyance really got in my way of using the Apple M1 Macbook Pro, so I gradually stopped using it, and toward the end, the last week I had the Apple M1 Macbook Pro - after clearing the AppleID lockout once more, I left the Macbook Pro off and cold, no connections to any cables - and the day I was planning to return it I booted it up and got the "AppleID" locked notice, and I had to unlock it once more by logging into to https://iforgot.apple.com/ and confirming my AppleID via email one last time. I was then able to use the M1 to reset the software back to factory settings, box it up, and ship it out as RMA Return.

Also, I never get an Apple email warning me of unusual activity on my AppleID, I always discovered my AppleID was locked by accessing Apple Services on the Apple M1 Macbook Pro, the AppleID locking is happening internally to Apple.

Crazy Apple. :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #34 of 48
I run a computer business and apple and their insane security bs is the single worst thing about their computers. It is costing people an enormous amount of money in support.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #35 of 48
The recent iOS upgrade including Ad Tracking Choice - now in a form much more significantly effective than any other before now, has gotten my enthusiastic attention!

I was a long-time consultant in Silicon Valley - retired now - and the one totally expected - and easily made personal contribution choice I had - was in avoiding a contribution to the whole "big data" collection of personalized information.

At one point I recognized that I did not want my personal technological expertise gained over the decades should not be leveraged to contribute in a bunch of huge "big data" projects designed to collect personalized datum - which became more and more difficult as the percentage of these "big data" projects focused on collecting minute personal data increased, to the point that their draw on industry resources caused them to affect the forward progress of technology outside of these invasive personal information collection goals.

And further, to avoid my personal contribution to the use this data collection to provide tightened control on personal choice through this concentrated collection of up to the second accurate personalized data. It was clear decades ago there was too much negative fallout from the follow-on capabilities this up to the second minute personalized data collection makes possible.

I also made every attempt in my personal life to not contribute to this data collection through employing data collection "blockers" associated with my internet usage, and shared such knowledge publicly wherever possible.

If Apple can continue this positive effort into the Macintosh OS - giving us the capability to opt out effectively from being bombarded with "personal" interest directed ads and other directed media, stopping the onslaught against our psyche - continually offering to sell me the same thing I just bought in the same or other forms - and stop all of the directly damaging bleeding of talent, investment, and technology creation and manufacturing capacity, we may actually get back to progressing technologically in areas that benefit us all.

If we look objectively at the vast mountains of useless crap these "engines of commerce" generate and induce us to purchase - to our own detriment by inducing us to act against our own common sense, perhaps this move by Apple will be the key to stopping this all "at the source" collection of the data that allows these egregiously unnecessary wastes of human and earth resources.

So, anyway, I wanted to mention this as it really is an amazing change in what Apple offers, it will probably get me to join back into supporting iOS, and if I do that I can get past the security bump that will allow me to tip me back into using MacOS.

I really hope this becomes the industry redirecting change I think it can become.

What I want to know is why did it take Apple so long to take action in this direction? As this video shows Apple have been "for" customer privacy from the "beginning" and Apple has seen "customer privacy" as one of their distinguishing values long term. I'm certainly glad someone(s) woke up at Apple and took the actions necessary to start making a positive difference.

Perhaps Apple finally got bored with "making all that money" and finally realized they needed something useful to accomplish for humanity with that "mountain of money". Good for them. :)

Apple vs. Facebook: Why iOS 14.5 Started a Big Tech Fight | WSJ

And, not to dilute that thought, but in deference to this thread being about the M1 Macbook, I find it amazing that the new iPads have as good of hardware with their M1 + 2TB storage as the Macbook M1 I returned - but of course as said in this coverage, the iOS is still limited by iOS in the iPad - so I can't do any more of the MacOS things I need in that new iPad... M1X Macbooks?

Colored iMacs? Let's Talk About Apple's 4/20 Event!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #36 of 48
I've had the M1 Air for a while and I haven't had nearly the problems you have with security. But then again I'm not doing nearly as much in the externals dept. Great little machine they just need to put a touchscreen on these things already and give us ports on both sides of the machine.

May 23, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #37 of 48
I've had the M1 Air for a while and I haven't had nearly the problems you have with security. But then again I'm not doing nearly as much in the externals dept. Great little machine they just need to put a touchscreen on these things already and give us ports on both sides of the machine.
I doubt it had anything to do with external hardware connected through TB/USB :)

And, it's not just me...and it's not just people without iPhones... how many Apple customers are simply suffering in silence with this problem?

Apple ID keeps getting locked - Apple Community
Apple ID keeps getting locked - Google Search

Wow, check this one out:
Apple disabling an entire Apple ID over an Apple Card payment issue is madness | iMore

Who has time to put up with that poor level of customer service from any company? Who would put up with that from Apple??

Not me, I returned my M1 before my return period expired. I got lucky. What could I have done if this happened to me after the return period had expired??

It looks like a lot of people are suffering from Apple ID verification failures, but apparently, it doesn't matter to Apple, as Apple are making so much money that a few thousand(?more?) suffering customers make no difference to Apple Support. :moneybag:

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #38 of 48
Interesting, I ran across a followup to the article I linked in my last post, so Apple doesn't disable AppleID's for Apple Card missed payments, Apple disables AppleID's for money owed situations - no matter what the payment method:

"The situation arose because the trade-in process was left unresolved, and Apple was following its standard procedures in matters of money owed; this is not anything specific to the Apple Card. When an account is marked as in bad standing, use of Apple ID services is restricted; things like Apple Music or App Store purchases. iCloud is wholly separate and is not disabled at all. You can read Apple’s full statement on the matter after the break."

Apple confirms it does not hold your Apple ID hostage due to missed Apple Card payment
https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/03/apple-card-apple-id-unrelated/

If Apple puts restrictions on AppleID for "money owed" situations, I would assume an extended "money owed" situation with an Apple Card would amount to the same situation with a disabled AppleID?

Reading the comments others have had similar problems with Apple and their payment institutions communicating, with months going by. Others point out the errors in Apple's response not being complete or simply convenient for their position. It would seem easy enough to get into a situation whereby through no fault of your own your AppleID could be disabled without easy or quick recourse.

My return went smoothly and my refund was quick, so I have no complaints. :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #39 of 48
So devices unrelated to the device will be disabled if you don't send a trade-in back in?

You TRUELY do not own your apple devices.

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #40 of 48
M1 Macbook is the best computer I've ever owned.

Recently got a MacBook Air M1. What are everyone's thoughts on the 3.5mm audio port? Can't find any information on the internal DAC. Is it worth getting an external DAC?

...minus this, I found the audio out produced interference. I've been contemplating taking it in, but I only ran the line as a test and doubt I'll use it again, so weighing my options...

3.5mm audio on my Mb Pro was fine, but preferred the external DAC I bought, plus I'd much rather USB-out than the 3.5mm port

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #42 of 48
I never thought I'd want to 'upgrade' from my 2014 Macbook pro, with proper HDMI, optical out, SD card reader, and 2 x proper USB A connections.

But, it's starting to slow down drastically when playing Roon, with multiple Chrome tabs open and running Adobe Photoshop + InDesign.

I've just pulled the trigger on an M1 Macbook Air with 16gb of RAM and 512gb storage - it seemed like a no-brainer in terms of savings over the similarly-specced Macbook Pro 13-inch. I just wish there were more thunderbolt ports. I guess I'd better get researching on hubs/docks while I wait for it to arrive...

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #43 of 48
I never thought I'd want to 'upgrade' from my 2014 Macbook pro, with proper HDMI, optical out, SD card reader, and 2 x proper USB A connections.

But, it's starting to slow down drastically when playing Roon, with multiple Chrome tabs open and running Adobe Photoshop + InDesign.

I've just pulled the trigger on an M1 Macbook Air with 16gb of RAM and 512gb storage - it seemed like a no-brainer in terms of savings over the similarly-specced Macbook Pro 13-inch.
I just wish there were more thunderbolt ports. I guess I'd better get researching on hubs/docks while I wait for it to arrive...
Congratulations on your new M1 Macbook Air :)

For my short time with the Macbook M1 Pro, this Thunderbolt 3 Dock worked out great:

HyperDrive GEN2 16-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock — Latest Generation Titan R – HyperShop.com
- Upstream TB3 40Gbps, 85W PD (for TB3 host)
or USB-C 10Gbps, 85W PD (for USB-C host)
- Downstream TB3 40Gbps, DP1.4, 15W (for TB3 device)
- Downstream USB-C, USB 2.0, 15W (for USB-C device)
- DisplayPort 1.4
- USB-C 10Gbps 5V/1.5A
- USB-A 10Gbps 5V/900mA x 2
- USB-A 5Gbps 5V/900mA x 3
- USB-A QC 3.0 18W
- Gigabit Ethernet
- MicroSD/SD 4.0 UHS-II 312MB/s
- Digital Coaxial Audio
- Optical Toslink Audio
- 3.5mm Audio Jack
- DC 180W

It looks like it is back in stock for order...I would imagine more TB3 docks have come out since - I haven't been tracking new TB3 dock releases - but the HyperDrive GEN2 16-Port TB3 dock has a good mix of ports and power to measure up to.

Please post what you find!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #44 of 48
Using an M1 Mac mini as a music server, replacing a 2010 model. Even stock - using iTunes though a Aurrender spdif converter to a Naim dac - the M1sounds audibly better than the old one running Audirvana. All music from a 5TB hard drive at minimum 16/44.1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back