New and Kinda lost...
Feb 6, 2008 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Drexel98

New Head-Fier
Okay, I thought I was an audiophile until I stumbled onto this site and got slapped in the face by all I apparently don't know about serious audio quality through portables. So, I'm enlisting the help of you experts to steer me in the right direction as I seek to make my current set-up sound as best as I can. I'm currently using an iPod Touch with everything ripped at the highest bitrate that iTunes allows, and I'm predominantly using Shure SE530's and Ultimate Ears Triple.fi IEM's, currently unamplified. I am definitely considering a headphone amp in the near future and perhaps better cables, but where do I start to get the biggest bang for my buck (or several)?

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Rip to Apple Lossless (ALAC).

You might consider building your own headphone amplifier and cables. It might seem difficult if you've never done it before, but once you do it, you'll gain a lot of insight into the audio world. Several people have CMoy projects around here, which would be a good start in the ~$50 range. Cables are cheap to build as well, though if you want pre-built I'll recommend Blue Jeans Cable (or Monoprice, if you want super-cheap). BJC will custom build anything that they don't have listed on the site, for example a mini-mini cable; just send them an e-mail and they'll give you a price quote.

You may want to buy a portable line-out dock, since you won't want to plug a headphone amplifier into the iPod's headphone output--it would negate some of the benefits of external amping.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Would it make sense to use a cable such as the Qables to use the dock connector plug into the amp? That way I'm bypassing the headphone jack altogether. I'm in the process of re-ripping all my files..I'm gonna need a bigger hard drive in my PC...

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Your best bet would be an amp.

Those are good IEMs. You aren't likely to hear the difference between AAC 320 and Apple Lossless. No need to spend much on cables and docks. The amp is the one thing left to address.

Beyond that, work on tricking out your music in iTunes with smart playlists and explore new kinds of music.

See ya
Steve

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Any suggestions on which amp to start with, without completely crippling my checkbook or unduly angering my significant other? I've been looking at the iQube and the Headamp pico, but is there something else I should consider first?

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 12
You shouldn't need a portable amp for the IEMs; they are highly efficient and engineered to be driven by an iPod or other DAP.

If you want to maximize value, take a look at the less expensive full-sized headphones. Some bargains on the market are the Grado SR-60 around $70, the Sennheiser HD-580 refurbs around $180, the Beyerdynamic DT880 around $200 and the AKG K-701 around $250. Pair any of those with a quality desktop amp and you'll know why we hang around here. I'd keep an eye on the For Sale Forum for an amp - you'll save a lot of money and they're stable components.

Give some thoughts to vacuum tubes, would you? A lot of us are crazy about them.

Don't spend any money on aftermarket cables unless you're thoroughly convinced of their worth.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't spend any money on aftermarket cables unless you're thoroughly convinced of their worth.

Yep, you want proper cabling, but not $$$ cabling.

Some added advice.....if you are "kinda lost", I think the Cables forum is only likely to get you "lost-er"--the amps forum is where you need to be spending your time now, IMHO.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm a relative newbie also, but I have to say that adding an amp (in my case a Headroom total bithead) to my iPod-IEM setup really made a significant difference, even without a LOD (heresy!).

For short $$, I think it's definitely worth a go. I have been blown away at the difference!

Good luck & happy listening!

-gian

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 12
the mentioned headphones are 133 and 132 dB/ 1 Vrms sensitivity - no amplification required with iPod's typically giving 1 V rms full scale output

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...5/#post3809061

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...ml#post3818967

you may not need 30 dB attenuation, but 12-20 dB attenuation would probably lower the noise floor without seriously impacting dynamic headroom, and depending on attenuator choices, reduce the load (and resulting distortion) and extend low frequency response

the Headwize site is a very good archive of essential headphone information:
HeadWize Library - Articles and Multimedia

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 12
Sure, an iPod can drive the IEMs, but a decent amp sure makes 'em sound better!

The biggest differences I notice, as a recent convert, are in bass extension and control, soundstage definition, and significant improvements in detail. With HeadRoom's 30-day trial period, what's the harm in giving it a shot?

Peace,

Gian

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 12
I've decided to jump in. I just ordered a Qables Silvercab-Pro LOD and a iQube amp. I'll post impressions in a few weeks once I'm able to put the system through the proper burn-in and do some true head to head comparisons. I think a desktop amp is next, followed by some full-size cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back