New amp sounds like trash...?
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lapzoo

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, I finally was able to plug my headphones into my new Schiit Heresy combined with the Schiit Modi 3. There is a huge amount of distortion, making it unlistenable. Modi 3 gets power from my PC, simultaneously getting the audio signal via USB (already tried different ports). This is awful, and I'm not talking a little distortion, there is yuge distortion. The FiiO K5 Pro sounds infinitely better. I must be doing something wrong...

20200713_200511.jpg

So what might be going on here?

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey folks, I finally was able to plug my headphones into my new Schiit Heresy combined with the Schiit Modi 3. There is a huge amount of distortion, making it unlistenable. Modi 3 gets power from my PC, simultaneously getting the audio signal via USB (already tried different ports). This is awful, and I'm not talking a little distortion, there is yuge distortion. The FiiO K5 Pro sounds infinitely better. I must be doing something wrong...

So what might be going on here?
Amp problems, solutions from Schiit: https://www.schiit.com/guides/amp-problems.

Ferrite noise suppressors are sold as both clip-on's, and as part of the cable. I recall all my Garmin GPS USB cables had a ferrite choke. Here's a selection from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+ferrite+noise+suppressors&ref=nb_sb_noss. Any electronic parts store should also carry ferrite chokes.

Before buyng the ferrite, try different cables you already have.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 5
My advice is to not use your pc as a power source for your dac.
Use a seperate power adapter instead.

That's gonna be the main reason for your bad sounding rig.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 5
FWIW I had the same experience with a Schiit Hel. It sounded so bad on first listen I was making steps to return it. I moved though, recently plugged it back in and something must have changed because it sounded perfect. Definitely go with the wiring advice from the posts above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back