New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Aug 25, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #2,116 of 2,814
Those who have the Gsx Mini and any abyss headphone, is it worth getting the DACT attenuated version for the extra cash? Is there a discernable difference?

Aug 29, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,117 of 2,814
Considering this amp for pairing with the HD800s and Verite Closed. What DAC would you recommend?

Also, I am planning to have it on my desk next to my computer. I realize it runs hot to the touch. Is it also uncomfortable to sit next to due to radiating heat? This is an air conditioned room.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,118 of 2,814
Considering this amp for pairing with the HD800s and Verite Closed. What DAC would you recommend?

Also, I am planning to have it on my desk next to my computer. I realize it runs hot to the touch. Is it also uncomfortable to sit next to due to radiating heat? This is an air conditioned room.
With the GS-X mini I use the Ares II and now also Gustard X26Pro, that behemoth of a DAC also gets equally hot as the mini itself, so I did add some active ventilation fans to my stack. But if you only operate the mini on top of something that does not dissipate heat alot, you can use it without extra ventilation (did that before).
Stack.Random.jpg

Aug 29, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,119 of 2,814
With the GS-X mini I use the Ares II and now also Gustard X26Pro, that behemoth of a DAC also gets equally hot as the mini itself, so I did add some active ventilation fans to my stack. But if you only operate the mini on top of something that does not dissipate heat alot, you can use it without extra ventilation (did that before).

Thanks, makes sense. Looking at your gear list, I noticed that you have the Zen Can in addition to the mini and the Singxer amp. I realize that the mini is literally 10 times more expensive than the Zen Can, but did you ever compare them directly? I am curious as the Zen Can is currently the only amp I own and I’d like to have a better idea what I’d gain by moving up to the Singxer or the mini.

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #2,121 of 2,814
anybody know the signal input voltage limits? i got a dac have 18v xlr outputs wondering if it’s gonna be a problem
XLR shouldn't be outputting more than 4V. If your DAC doubles as a pre-amp, maybe set the output to a sane level to work with the GS-X Mini? What DAC is it anyway?

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,122 of 2,814
Thanks, makes sense. Looking at your gear list, I noticed that you have the Zen Can in addition to the mini and the Singxer amp. I realize that the mini is literally 10 times more expensive than the Zen Can, but did you ever compare them directly? I am curious as the Zen Can is currently the only amp I own and I’d like to have a better idea what I’d gain by moving up to the Singxer or the mini.
The law of diminishing returns will especially apply with most audio gear upgrades. The CAN is already a very good and powerful headphone amp and you could easily life with that as your only amp (if power requirements are not a limiting factor).

Opposite to many short-term reviews on the SA-1, I would categorize this amp as very neutral and transparent. The proclaimed 'warm' or "class-A" qualities are a bit overstated in my opinion, after having the amp running for several days you will not have this initial perceived boominess/warmish tilt any more, but that does not make the amp bad in any way, not at all. Sadly my SA-1 is still on its way back to China for replacement (did not power-up properly suddenly, hope the next will hold longer!).

When I had my VC around, I did use it exclusively on the mini with the Ares II. If you are susceptible to audiophile curiosity and money is not a limiting factor it might be justifiable to go directly to the mini (but he will also not sound 10x better than the CAN):smirk:. Otherwise stick with the CAN for now and decide later if you are really missing something. The SA-1 could be an upgrade in terms of power delivery and build quality and might be a minor step-up on transparency/clarity to the CAN. The mini has for me the best build quality, usability, finesse and XBass lite meatiness enabled by default:wink:.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt, there are also days where I just don't like my most expensive headphones on my 'best' amps at all, the human factor is such an unreliable part in the whole audio chain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #2,123 of 2,814
The law of diminishing returns will especially apply with most audio gear upgrades. The CAN is already a very good and powerful headphone amp and you could easily life with that as your only amp (if power requirements are not a limiting factor).

Opposite to many short-term reviews on the SA-1, I would categorize this amp as very neutral and transparent. The proclaimed 'warm' or "class-A" qualities are a bit overstated in my opinion, after having the amp running for several days you will not have this initial perceived boominess/warmish tilt any more, but that does not make the amp bad in any way, not at all. Sadly my SA-1 is still on its way back to China for replacement (did not power-up properly suddenly, hope the next will hold longer!).

When I had my VC around, I did use it exclusively on the mini with the Ares II. If you are susceptible to audiophile curiosity and money is not a limiting factor it might be justifiable to go directly to the mini (but he will also not sound 10x better than the CAN):smirk:. Otherwise stick with the CAN for now and decide later if you are really missing something. The SA-1 could be an upgrade in terms of power delivery and build quality and might be a minor step-up on transparency/clarity to the CAN. The mini has for me the best build quality, usability, finesse and XBass lite meatiness enabled by default:wink:.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt, there are also days where I just don't like my most expensive headphones on my 'best' amps at all, the human factor is such an unreliable part in the whole audio chain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Thanks for the very thoughtful reply — much appreciated!

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,125 of 2,814
Hibiki sds is a pure dac and it outputs 15vpp, it works fine with mini.but when i turn volume to the max i hear some funny noises.
The 15V output doesn't make sense at all. If it works with the Mini with the volume control at a reasonable level then you should be fine.

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #2,126 of 2,814
Those who have the Gsx Mini and any abyss headphone, is it worth getting the DACT attenuated version for the extra cash? Is there a discernable difference?
To me the biggest issue with the DACT is that it's only 24 steps so there's a pretty big jump in sound level between each step. That can make it difficult to get the volume level just right. I have the Alps pot on mine and it's great.

It doesn't put out nearly enough heat to be an issue there. While it's certainly warm to the touch, I wouldn't call it 'hot'. For me I consider something 'hot to the touch' if I can't keep my hand on it for any decent length of time. With the mini I can keep my hand on it indefintely.

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #2,127 of 2,814
Hibiki sds is a pure dac and it outputs 15vpp, it works fine with mini.but when i turn volume to the max i hear some funny noises.
I highly doubt it's output is more than 4-5V, if it's I'd consider it to be a bad design if it's not outright broken. Having said, not sure I see the point of cranking the volume to listen for noise? Every dac, amp, etc has some level of noise.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #2,128 of 2,814
I had an early delivery GSX Mini w/DACT and lived with it for a few months. I sent it back to Justin and asked him to pull out the DACT and replace it with the standard volume control. 24 steps is simply not enough imho. When I ordered my GSX MK2 last year I specifically requested a standard volume pot.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #2,129 of 2,814
Stack.Random.jpg
So the GS-X mini and Ares II pair well together? I have an Ares II and have wanted to try the mini.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #2,130 of 2,814
To me the biggest issue with the DACT is that it's only 24 steps so there's a pretty big jump in sound level between each step. That can make it difficult to get the volume level just right. I have the Alps pot on mine and it's great.

It doesn't put out nearly enough heat to be an issue there. While it's certainly warm to the touch, I wouldn't call it 'hot'. For me I consider something 'hot to the touch' if I can't keep my hand on it for any decent length of time. With the mini I can keep my hand on it indefintely.
Yep, that lack of steps was one of reason why i sell my GS-X mini, almost always was too loud or to quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back