New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,846 of 2,814
Well, I tried the Schiit Modius and both the RME ADI-2 FS with the Abyss and the Schiit Modius (which uses the same exact AKM chip as the RME) was less harsh and smoother. More transparent, if you will. I've definitely heard sharp dacs before even when isolating USB noise via toslink and the use of interfaces. Some headphones are extremely resolving and maybe come off too harsh on certain pairings. I've spoken to one person who was using very clean USBs and isolating them and he tried pairing the Abyss with the GS-X Mini and RME ADI-2 FS and got some HF glare as well. But anyway, I'll just use trial and error on this one. :relieved:

Edit: there's also a chance that I find the Abyss's sound signature to be a tad bright, but not by much. So maybe I am looking for a dac that is slightly tilted towards being warm. I have my Bifrost 2 which is definitely fuller and warmer but sometimes comes off a bit too smooth for my liking if that makes sense. A LOT of people yesterday and today (after I made my last post) have been singing the praises of the Chord Qutest dac because everyone seems to think that it's exactly what I'm describing and what I want. So I may go that route.

As I was reading the first paragraph of your post, I was thinking to myself "buy the Chord Qutest" and then I read the last paragraph! So, allow me to join the others with that recommendation. I received my Chord Qutest a couple of weeks ago and I really love it. I am returning my RME because I do find it to be a bit too sharp as well, especially with my HD800 and I also am not a fan of the internal headphone amp. The Qutest is brilliant and with the four filter options, it may be exactly what you are looking for.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,847 of 2,814
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, someone else commented that me mentioning the glare and brightness when using the RME with the GS-X Mini and Abyss to be a USB noise issue, but, I don't think that's the case. I also think that I meant to say sharpness, as you have said. It seemed to sharpen everything and that probably emphasized any pre-existing brightness that was already there. Since making my last post, a few people have been telling me to go Chord Hugo TT2 but that's quite a price jump between that and Qutest.

If you say that the Qutest eliminates the sharpness I was having with the RME, that's good enough for me. The Abyss on this pairing was not intolerable by any means but definitely felt that sharpness there that I wanted smoothed over a bit.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #1,848 of 2,814
I dont have any experience with the Abyss or the RME paired up with the mini, but I do have the Qutest and the pairing is wonderfully natural and smooth. I directly compared it to the Gungnir MB A2 and the Chord was the winner. The Gumby was a bit hazier/smoother and perhaps you could say more emotional with a bit more heft. The Qutest is more natural and on the detailed side but never fatiguing to me. The Qutest resolves all the information in a natural way that allows you to hear deeper into the stage.

I am using the mini to driver HE6 or Code LEX which can both be thought of as bright...but they sound ever so good.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #1,849 of 2,814
Qutest and Mini is a very good combination, indeed.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,850 of 2,814
Thanks for the input, guys. I've had a lot of conflicting dac recommendations.

Some people say they've tried the Mini + the X-Sabre pro for example and found it smooth while others tried the same combination and found it fatiguing.
Some said they've tried the Chord Qutest and love it while others have said that it has an unnatural timbre (granted, the people who told me this were not Mini owners)

The one dac that stands out as the #1 recommendation across the board is the Qutest more than any other, though. So I think that says something.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,851 of 2,814
I dont have any experience with the Abyss or the RME paired up with the mini, but I do have the Qutest and the pairing is wonderfully natural and smooth. I directly compared it to the Gungnir MB A2 and the Chord was the winner. The Gumby was a bit hazier/smoother and perhaps you could say more emotional with a bit more heft. The Qutest is more natural and on the detailed side but never fatiguing to me. The Qutest resolves all the information in a natural way that allows you to hear deeper into the stage.

I am using the mini to driver HE6 or Code LEX which can both be thought of as bright...but they sound ever so good.

I also have the Gungnir MB and totally agree with you...this is the best description I have read between the Qutest and the Gumby. I love both DACs but when I want non-fatiguing detail I go for the Chord.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,852 of 2,814

I had the A1 gumby. It had a little dull sound. It is like every notes were played at the same volume. But the pros are musical, tangible sounding and strange 3D effect. I don't know if everybody likes this type of sound

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,853 of 2,814
Have any of you tried the Mini using the DAC in the Marantz HD-DAC1? Were you happy with the pairing?

Edit: I probably would just use the Marantz through the winter if I wasn't thrilled with the combination, then I would upgrade the DAC. Thanks in advance for opinions

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,858 of 2,814
The GS-X Mini is an awesome amp and punches well above it's weight (and price). Those of you waiting for your orders will be very happy once they arrive. It has enough power to drive any headphone and its small size makes it perfect for a desktop/office rig.
Okay I'm convinced. Besides picking a color there's only one other thing I need to decide. While I do understand the differences in the volume controls offered, for those of us who intend to use it as a preamp also, is one of those controls preferred to the other?

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,859 of 2,814
Hey all, I wonder if anyone would be interested in a trade.

I have a complete set of polished black hardware (faceplate, volume knob, screws) that I do not need because I also have a polished red front. Would anyone be interested in trading? I would be most interested in the more unique colors like Green, purple, champagne, but let me know if you are interested.

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,860 of 2,814
Hey all, I wonder if anyone would be interested in a trade.

I have a complete set of polished black hardware (faceplate, volume knob, screws) that I do not need because I also have a polished red front. Would anyone be interested in trading? I would be most interested in the more unique colors like Green, purple, champagne, but let me know if you are interested.
I haven't bought one yet so I can't help you with a trade, but I have been curious if these are sold separately. Is the cost reasonable? Can I buy the knob by itself?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back