New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Feb 10, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #1,096 of 2,814
The mini sounds fantastic!

Those of you who opted for the stepped attenuator, any regrets? I'm listening with my Utopia at low gain, positioned around 10 o'clock.

I'm at this point where I wish it was just a bit louder, but the next step up it becomes slightly too loud. Two steps up and it's way too loud. Would the potentiometer version have been ideal in this situation?

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,097 of 2,814

Those of you who opted for the stepped attenuator, any regrets? I'm listening with my Utopia at low gain, positioned around 10 o'clock.

I'm at this point where I wish it was just a bit louder, but the next step up it becomes slightly too loud. Two steps up and it's way too loud. Would the potentiometer version have been ideal in this situation?
I ordered the stepped attenuator but I don't think that is what I received!!

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,098 of 2,814

I dont think so. I had pontiometer on Violectric V280 and if gain was too high then steps were too big. Gain setting help more, unfortunately mini have only 2 gain settings. For headamp amps benchmark hpa4 volume control would have been perfect.

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,099 of 2,814

Those of you who opted for the stepped attenuator, any regrets?

Sounds great and no DACT regrets. I was apprehensive about getting the DACT but found it to be a non-issue. I don't have any volume concerns and use low gain with my LCD-X. Depending on the recording I usually end up somewhere between 10 and 1 o'clock. The increments between steps is completely adequate IMO.

Feb 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,101 of 2,814
Sorry to digress but is there a sound quality difference between the two volume controls?

One advantage to stepped attenuators today is that it can be dificult to find good quality multi-gang variable pots where each gang tracks precisely with the others (L/R balance). An ordinary potentiometer's L/R balance can change depending on where the knob is. That's not a problem with a stepped attenuator like the DACT.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,102 of 2,814
How come no modern amp uses Pentaconn 4.4.

The fullsize is so awkward.

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,104 of 2,814
I just received a Chord Qutest DAC from HeadAmp..................Holy Cow!!!!! :astonished:

Does GSX-mini need Chord Qutest? I am thinking about getting a solid state amp for my Verites.
I have Topping D90 (no money for qutest). It sounds good with my tube amp (T4). Does GSX-mini sound good with D90 ?

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,105 of 2,814
Does GSX-mini need Chord Qutest? I am thinking about getting a solid state amp for my Verites.
I have Topping D90 (no money for qutest). It sounds good with my tube amp (T4). Does GSX-mini sound good with D90 ?
You just got ECP T4. Why are you already looking towards GSX-mini?

You got some upgraditis problems dude

Feb 27, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,108 of 2,814
You got some upgraditis problems dude

(I’m thinking that might be a rhetorical question)
Who here doesn’t?

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #1,110 of 2,814
We've all been down that road LOL!

I'm not entirely sure that road has an end - beyond what might be imposed by financial constraints.

The hobby that keeps on giving and taking, not always in equal measure.

I'm also interested in the GS-X Mini, to compliment my tube setup. I've got a Naim DAV V1, but I'm interested to compare with other strong SS amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back