New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 27, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #407 of 2,814
As a current owner of a Gilmore Lite Mk 2, I'm really looking forward to reading some reviews!! Particularly interested in comparisons to previously said amp and some of the more popular competitive models, Mjolnir 2, Liquid Platinum and EC BW.

Jun 27, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #408 of 2,814
i think the ifi pro can is an apt comparison given its price and size....it is a fine amp BTW

Jun 27, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #409 of 2,814
The blue velvet pot is the RK27. The black beauty pot is the RK40, and the RK50 is just the best best volume control in the market

Thank you for that. I was never comfortable with the stepped DAC and the lack of fully granular control. Some googling refreshed my memory and I just finished re reading several posts from a number of years back on the Naim forum. While Naim acknowledged some channel balance issues (especially at low volume) with the Alps Blue they also found it to be the most MUSICAL and best sounding pot for what they look to achieve. As a result it is what they use in the totl $35K 552 flagship preamp (not in the Statement preamp though). So it seems that I have been listening to an Alps Blue in my Naim setup for the past 15 years :) No problems what so ever.

I might have to speak with Justin and discuss this further before my amp is shipped. Interesting that earlier someone posted it was Justins preference as well.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #410 of 2,814
with the Alps Blue they also found it to be the most MUSICAL

Wait the RK27 is more musical? Or it be more likely more musical than the DACT?

If so this is what I am truly after than! I need musical amps.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #411 of 2,814
I’m currently using ifi pro ican. Seeing if headamp mini would add different flavor.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #412 of 2,814
Well when you guys get your "musical" amps please post all impressions, thoughts, feelings and emotions so we can all discover the amp vicariously.
I have a GL Mk2, so not in a major rush to swap it out. All in good time.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #413 of 2,814
Wait the RK27 is more musical? Or it be more likely more musical than the DACT?

If so this is what I am truly after than! I need musical amps.

Musical or not it is an industry standard for audiophile pot. You guys should really look into the RK50....Sony is using that in their DMP-Z1. and Justin is using it in his BHSE....and once upon a time it was used in the TOTL Headroom amplifier, the Max Balanced amp.

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #414 of 2,814
Musical or not it is an industry standard for audiophile pot. You guys should really look into the RK50....Sony is using that in their DMP-Z1. and Justin is using it in his BHSE....and once upon a time it was used in the TOTL Headroom amplifier, the Max Balanced amp.

I read this and only heard two words..."audiophile pot." This should come with every headphone amp!

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #415 of 2,814

Well, I do not want to install that thing myself. Maybe I message Justin and see if he can install a RK40 or RK50 pot on my custom version? And it seems like the RK pots are the way to go. I am familiar with the BSHE volume pot. Just figuring out if the RK27 pot is musical now?...

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #417 of 2,814
Is all this talk about pot legal on Head Fi? I mean................volume pot!!! :grin::astonished:

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #418 of 2,814
Is all this talk about pot legal on Head Fi? I mean................volume pot!!! :grin::astonished:

Canada has legalize pot nationwide. A single person can walk around with 30 grams of weed! Thats batschiit amazing! LOL

''Pot is a silly traditional, political, establish tactic of the 1920s to late 2000s". :yum:

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #419 of 2,814
Different kind of 'pot" people! I understand that many of you do additional inhaling activities while listening to your very fine headphones system.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #420 of 2,814

The problem as I see it is the RK50 and it's associated cost.
Inside a $6K BHSE yes, even a $3K GSX MK2 yes - inside a $1800 GSX Mini? Not when the pot is almost half the cost of the entire amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back