New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 27, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #392 of 2,809
I'm thinking about getting this amp. What makes this amp so special? What does volume control upgrade produce for the extra money?

That's a very strange way to ask for a recommendation. You might give a short list of your preferences and other gear, especially the headphones that you'll be using. But honestly, that would only help somewhat as only a few people have actually heard this amp in person. That would be @purk , me and those who've heard it at recent headphone meets. Purk has spent the most time with the amp. I've known Purk for many years and I know his references very well and value his impressions above most anyone.

But it might be more prudent for you to wait till the formal reviews from various sources show up where you can get a diverse set of different opinions. Better yet, try to get out to a local meet and hear it for yourself. Hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way. Just trying to be helpful. Here is the link to amp and a few comments from the man himself:

https://www.headamp.com/order/headamp-gs-x-mini-balanced-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp/

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #393 of 2,809
I'm thinking about getting this amp. What makes this amp so special? What does volume control upgrade produce for the extra money?

This is the answer:

Why speical? Comes from a reputable famous company that build legendary gear like the BHSE amp.... which means the build quality is excellent.

Volume:

The standard volume control is a Alps RK27 which is a standard in high end audio (they are what STAX uses in all of their amps including the T8000). The stepped attenuator option provides discrete volume positions (23 of them) with perfect channel matching between left/right and lower distortion/noise than a RK27 potentiometer.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #394 of 2,809
I contacted Justin about the (2) pot options on this amp. I had a theoretical concern over slight noise or ‘pops’ that could be potentially heard with either sensitive headphones (or iems)...when stepped attenuators are used (slight pop or nosie heard when the knob switch is turned to each fixed step).

He indicated that if that was a sensitive issue or worry for me...to go with the ALPS pot; & indicated that he preferred it over the stepped pot (even if that’s what’s being primarily ordered).

I was also on the fence about the fixed positions of the DACT pot vs being able to fully control the volume level at any point on the pot.

So...to each his own. I haven’t heard this amp. I have a Gilmore Lite mk2 & I expect an improvement over it...if nothing more than having the balanced circuitry baked into the unit (no matter your choice of single ended or balanced gear). It can be considered unique or ‘special’ in that regard...I guess.

Note: I am NOT implying that the DACT pot is inferior or a flawed option. I obviously have no indication that any noise will be heard from the DACT pot. I’m only sharing feedback for those toggling between the (2) pot options. Primarily folks that are uninitiated or unfamiliar with stepped potentiometers—like myself. Hopefully it’ll help others make an informed decision around pot choice with the amp.

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #395 of 2,809
Go with a special RK50 option if available. RK27 is an audiophile standard but RK40 and even RK50 are better!

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #398 of 2,809
Go with a special RK50 option if available. RK27 is an audiophile standard but RK40 and even RK50 are better!

RK27 option is only available. So should people get that instead of the DACT version?

What you think?

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #399 of 2,809
Which pot is the Alps Blue?

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #400 of 2,809
The blue velvet pot is the RK27. The black beauty pot is the RK40, and the RK50 is just the best best volume control in the market if you want continuous tracking that is. I personally would take a 48 stepped attenuators over an RK50.

I know that Justin only offer the RK27 and DAC-T option but for a cool sum of $1200 u May can get the RK50 in there if space is available.

Jun 27, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #401 of 2,809
The blue velvet pot is the RK27. The black beauty pot is the RK40, and the RK50 is just the best best volume control in the market if you want continuous tracking that is. I personally would take a 48 stepped attenuators over an RK50.

I know that Justin only offer the RK27 and DAC-T option but for a cool sum of $1200 u May can get the RK50 in there if space is available.

Yes, but if that option isnt available, which it is not. Than which one is better? RK27 or DACT? On the GSX Mini

Jun 27, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #402 of 2,809
For what it is worth, I own the GS-X mk2 with the stepped attenuator and have never once heard any popping noise or clicks when using it....I have used numerous ZMF headphones, HD800, and LCD-3
Not sure if it is the same attenuator used in the mini.....but to be honest, I would have no worries about this personally.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #403 of 2,809
For what it is worth, I own the GS-X mk2 with the stepped attenuator and have never once heard any popping noise or clicks when using it....I have used numerous ZMF headphones, HD800, and LCD-3
Not sure if it is the same attenuator used in the mini.....but to be honest, I would have no worries about this personally.

Now I'm curious. What is the actual bottom line benfits between the RK27 vs DACT? The sound isnt change right? Only the volume meter matching of volumes is better? Good for sensitive phones? That's the only benefit isnt it?

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #404 of 2,809
Now I'm curious. What is the actual bottom line benfits between the RK27 vs DACT? The sound isnt change right? Only the volume meter matching of volumes is better? Good for sensitive phones? That's the only benefit isnt it?

Perfect tracking all the time. DacT should sound cleaner and Pot can get scratchy and noisy if it is out tolerance. Stepped attenuators can have that issue as well if contact is dirty but it should not affect the sound. I always DACT when possible plus Justin’s price for DACT option is better than anyone in the business. Some vendors are charging $500 for A quad version of DACT alone.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #405 of 2,809
Thanks, DACT it is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back