New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 22, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #376 of 2,814
@purk what is a good DAC to go with the GS-X Mini?

I am considering between Yggy (a little too big for my desk), Matrix X-Sabre Pro (not sure if I enjoy the Sabre sound), and Chord Qutest (it lacks XLR output) but each has their own short coming.

I don’t have the Yggy version 2 but have the version 1 and the Matrix Pro is better for anything DSD. For PCM, the Yggy is better. The Matrix is a whole lot easier to live with however. It’s is fraction of the size compared to Yggy.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #377 of 2,814
I don’t have the Yggy version 2 but have the version 1 and the Matrix Pro is better for anything DSD. For PCM, the Yggy is better. The Matrix is a whole lot easier to live with however. It’s is fraction of the size compared to Yggy.

I see. I don't listen to DSD or MQA at all.

All my sources are PCM and from my desktop computer...

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #378 of 2,814
Then go with the Yggy if you have desk space. The DSD playback on the Matrix is awesome however. I really enjoy mine.

Jun 22, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #379 of 2,814
Will try using Hugo 2 with mini when time comes to get one. Because can use SE input, output balanced. Thus no need (immediate) to get another dac which would output balanced.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #380 of 2,814
Hi guys, tried doing some searches but wondering if in general the GS-X mini is considered an upgrade over the GS-X mk2. I understand the ability to convert unbalanced to balanced, but that is not a concern I have, so would one be better than the other with the HE-1000 v2 or SE, LCD-series headphones, HD800 etc.?

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #381 of 2,814
I tend to take that Mini and Mk. 2 exist to cater to a slightly different market.
If you need something smaller, practical and want to get more from your single ended source then get a Mini.
They are both based on dynalo circuit after all.

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #382 of 2,814
If you want to drive the Susvara the GSX MKII extra power should be your ticket over the mini. The mini slightly warmer tone should be better with something like HD800 and brighter headphones.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #384 of 2,814
If you want to drive the Susvara the GSX MKII extra power should be your ticket over the mini. The mini slightly warmer tone should be better with something like HD800 and brighter headphones.
Unfortunately, the GS X MK II was mentioned as a bad alternative to drive the Susvara, in the Susvara thread. Several said it was too bright of an amp with not enough weight in the low end to be a good pairing.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #385 of 2,814
Unfortunately, the GS X MK II was mentioned as a bad alternative to drive the Susvara, in the Susvara thread. Several said it was too bright of an amp with not enough weight in the low end to be a good pairing.

I based my experience with HEK1000 V2 and GSX mkii. The Susvara very very nice out of the gsx mini IMO but I wonder if it will sound even better on beefier amplifier.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #386 of 2,814
I based my experience with HEK1000 V2 and GSX mkii. The Susvara very very nice out of the gsx mini IMO but I wonder if it will sound even better on beefier amplifier.
I heard the Susvara out of the mini at CanJam and it powered them just fine. Some have said that the mini is warmer sounding though and that may be the reason that pairing sounds better than with the GSX MK II.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #387 of 2,814
ya but i disagree but then again i didn't have dave and they didn't use my server. I think it came to preferences, i found sus harmonious while my hd800s won stage and response.
I find head fi as guilty as anyone to pigeon hold to save cognitive dissonance. So GSX mk2 is tonally high, false, or silver cables are sibilant, false...

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #388 of 2,814
I wonder how a warm dac with the mini will sound like? Anyone with a R2R dac try it with the mini? Or is that overkill for an already warm amplifier?

Anyone with Benchmark Dac 3 or Brooklyn DAC+ tired it with the mini? Also RME-DAC?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #390 of 2,814
I'm thinking about getting this amp. What makes this amp so special? What does volume control upgrade produce for the extra money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back