New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #346 of 2,809
I would choose better dac over better amp. Don't matter how good the amp is, if feeding it crap then that is what the amp is going to pass on. Since the dac is upstream of the amp, should be common sense that the dac is of utmost importance.

+1
Residing primarily in 2 channel land this is the mantra which dictates system building. Imho same thing for headphones.
The best amp in the world cannot make up for the music lost and not retrieved by an inferior turntable, DAC etc.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #347 of 2,809
+1
Residing primarily in 2 channel land this is the mantra which dictates system building. Imho same thing for headphones.
The best amp in the world cannot make up for the music lost and not retrieved by an inferior turntable, DAC etc.
Used to be in two channel many years ago where that was the mantra, but I have come to believe a balanced system is always the best. It makes no damn sense to have a Dave if you are listening to it on Sony 7506 headphones either. I know that’s an extreme example, but that’s just to illustrate the point I am trying to make.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #348 of 2,809
imho the mantra still holds.
No one in two channel land would recommend using a DAVE with a pair of Beats headphones.
They would, however, recommend perhaps spending 40% of your budget on the source, 40% on preamp & amp, and 30% on speakers. Just random numbers however just to throw some numbers out.

Spending $4000 on Utopia's and $400 to use a Mojo as a source - sorry.
Maybe $2000 on a Hugo2 and $2000 on headphones - same $4000 as above - but perhaps a better outcome?

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #349 of 2,809
imho the mantra still holds.
No one in two channel land would recommend using a DAVE with a pair of Beats headphones.
They would, however, recommend perhaps spending 40% of your budget on the source, 40% on preamp & amp, and 30% on speakers. Just random numbers however just to throw some numbers out.

Spending $4000 on Utopia's and $400 to use a Mojo as a source - sorry.
Maybe $2000 on a Hugo2 and $2000 on headphones - same $4000 as above - but perhaps a better outcome?
Was in the two channel world 30 yrs ago. Have learned a lot and one of the first things one should learn it that price does not always
= performance so that many of those formulas go out the window. Like many today hold the $1,699 HD 800 against many TOTL HP’s costing $4,000 or more. So since you cannot always use the formulas to go by cost, you have to go by performance and thus build your system accordingly.

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #350 of 2,809
+1
reality is different though. No dac will give bass, depth, dynamics like amp can give. im sure many guys would take T2 + Stax sr009 + Qutest over cheap amp + Sr009 + Dave.
HD 800 Same story Many guys would take stratus + cheaper dac over expensive dac + average amp.

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #351 of 2,809
reality is different though. No dac will give bass, depth, dynamics like amp can give. im sure many guys would take T2 + Stax sr009 + Qutest over cheap amp + Sr009 + Dave.
HD 800 Same story Many guys would take stratus + cheaper dac over expensive dac + average amp.

And some peeps are just gonna argue endlessly no matter what common sense indicates. The other side of COMMON SENSE would be to capability-match all the components of the chain much as possible to ensure the most faithful reproduction musically possible. Which is kinda the idea that was attempted to be presented I think... Of course would want to utilize the best amp possible, as well as the dac and associated cabling etc. But having a sub-standard dac and combining with a world-class amp is just not going to yield superior results. Is this a really difficult concept to grasp?

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #352 of 2,809
But having a sub-standard dac and combining with a world-class amp is just not going to yield superior results. Is this a really difficult concept to grasp?

+1

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #353 of 2,809
dac first then amp then HP.....the dac is the source if it is is subpar no matter what you do after it it will still be subpar...better amplification of a poor source doesnt change the poor source

Jun 11, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #354 of 2,809
dac first then amp then HP.....the dac is the source if it is is subpar no matter what you do after it it will still be subpar...better amplification of a poor source doesnt change the poor source

so now just like a gave a +1 to "commtrd"
here is a +1 to you as well!!!

nice to know there are a few on Headfi who just "get it"

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #355 of 2,809
Not gonna argue which is most important. But I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in first on dac, then amp and finally headphones. But total budget comes in. Set your budget and then start to build your system. You can always upgrade down the road. That's what I did. Or at least expanded. But whatever path works for you is the best one for you.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #356 of 2,809
Not gonna argue which is most important.
You can always upgrade down the road. That's what I did. Or at least expanded. But whatever path works for you is the best one for you.

I am going to try my existing DAC (it shall go nameless) first when I receive the GS-X mini.

There appears to be no shortage of new or used shiny audio objects out there to buy and, as far as I can tell, they are making more all the time!

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #357 of 2,809
For the love of all audiophilers is this forbidden amp out yet? Holy schiit...

I want to know some full impressions! Especially how it sounds with the HD800.

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #358 of 2,809

Based on their track record, you would normally need to add 12 months to their planned original released date.

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #359 of 2,809
Based on their track record, you would normally need to add 12 months to their planned original released date.

Omg lol. So guessing 2021 release date.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #360 of 2,809

Trust me, you will absolutely love it. I personally think it matches better with the HD800/S than the GSX mKii due to its very slightly warmer tonal balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back