New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #16 of 2,814
The math wouldn't add up exactly to that specific example but I think you get the overall point; the profit margins on the GS-1 seem surprisingly low to me. Compare the GS-1 for $750 to similarly priced portable amps from RSA. Also things like seeing very similar power transformers and Alps RK27 volume pots in amps over 3x the cost.
No worries, and yes I do get your point. I apologize and admit I reacted a little at the idea that most companies would charge double the price. While I suspect that you are right that they perhaps made less profit margin, I would be shocked if they could charge half. In electronics, profit margins are typically not nearly as high as people think, a 50% margin would be quite high, but perhaps in the personal audio marketplace right now there are higher margins. I understand that at the heart of things you were simply trying to be complimentary to the value the amp represented to you, and that you appreciated the company wasn't in your mind trying to wring out every possible penny of profit, fair enough. Cheers.

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 2,814
This amp is probably the most exciting thing on my radar at the moment. It's probably going to be a tossup between this and the ECP Torpedo 4 which unfortunately just got priced in higher than I expected at $2200. I'm interested to see whether its voiced closer to the GSX or the Gilmore Lite.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 2,814
This amp is probably the most exciting thing on my radar at the moment. It's probably going to be a tossup between this and the ECP Torpedo 4 which unfortunately just got priced in higher than I expected at $2200. I'm interested to see whether its voiced closer to the GSX or the Gilmore Lite.

I don't think either amp has much in the way of voicing. The Dynalo circuit is meant to be as transparent as possible, although it is true that one can still use different input FETs to achieve a different, more voiced sound. I always got the impression though that HeadAmp went for maximum transparency and uncolored sound.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #20 of 2,814
I don't think either amp has much in the way of voicing. The Dynalo circuit is meant to be as transparent as possible, although it is true that one can still use different input FETs to achieve a different, more voiced sound. I always got the impression though that HeadAmp went for maximum transparency and uncolored sound.

I agree with the overall aim of Headamp designs but have you heard both amps? I would personally take the Gilmore regardless of price as I find the GSX to be a touch too neutral with very slight peaks in the 4khz & 6khz regions. I listen to a lot of badly mastered music (as does anyone listening to modern recordings) and do find the more expensive amp to be slightly fatiguing. The Gilmore Lite, while certainly not V-shaped or excessively coloured, is a slightly more relaxing listen with less emphasis on the upper mids and rounder bottom end. Please note I am not in any way saying that either amp is at all warm, slow or "tube-like". They are slightly different takes on the same transparent, SS sound and I know which one I prefer.

Technology marches on, Justins tastes and hearing change as he gets older, different DACs (and thus chains) become more popular. I'd be surprised if 2 amps built 10 years apart sounded exactly the same even if the circuit design is essentially unchanged. I'm excited what the designer has to offer as someone near the top of his game with another decade of experience.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 2,814
I agree with the overall aim of Headamp designs but have you heard both amps? I would personally take the Gilmore regardless of price as I find the GSX to be a touch too neutral with very slight peaks in the 4khz & 6khz regions. I listen to a lot of badly mastered music (as does anyone listening to modern recordings) and do find the more expensive amp to be slightly fatiguing. The Gilmore Lite, while certainly not V-shaped or excessively coloured, is a slightly more relaxing listen with less emphasis on the upper mids and rounder bottom end. Please note I am not in any way saying that either amp is at all warm, slow or "tube-like". They are slightly different takes on the same transparent, SS sound and I know which one I prefer.

Technology marches on, Justins tastes and hearing change as he gets older, different DACs (and thus chains) become more popular. I'd be surprised if 2 amps built 10 years apart sounded exactly the same even if the circuit design is essentially unchanged. I'm excited what the designer has to offer as someone near the top of his game with another decade of experience.

Yeah I think those sound character differences are just the result of the power supply differences and perhaps the GS-X Mk2 being fully balanced. But I wouldn't know for sure.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 2,814
This will be a killer amp. So glad that Justin decides to bring it back and make it even better!

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 2,814
Also for reference, the new one looks quite a bit bigger than the old. Here is the original:

1.JPG

The original GS-1 is still in the very top tier of single ended headphone amps for those who don't know. If you find a used one for a good price, don't hesitate.

What you think is a reasonable good price? Is there a mk2 version of this available as well?

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #24 of 2,814
What you think is a reasonable good price? Is there a mk2 version of this available as well?

Seeing as how it was $749 and they've been discontinued for some time now, I'm thinking no more than $550. Granted it will outperform most sub $1500 amps I think.

There was no Mk2 (this new amp could take up that name, or GS-X Mini), but there were upgrades available for it. There was a DACT stepped attenuator upgrade and I believe some other upgraded related directly to the amp boards themselves (Dynalo+ modules). Not sure what the Dynalo+ modules actually were though.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 2,814
Seeing as how it was $749 and they've been discontinued for some time now, I'm thinking no more than $550. Granted it will outperform most sub $1500 amps I think.

There was no Mk2 (this new amp could take up that name, or GS-X Mini), but there were upgrades available for it. There was a DACT stepped attenuator upgrade and I believe some other upgraded related directly to the amp boards themselves (Dynalo+ modules). Not sure what the Dynalo+ modules actually were though.
If you have the GS-1 MK1, you can upgrade to the Dynalo plus modules. Just need to contact Justin and buy two modules.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 2,814
I am guessing between 1.5 to 1.8k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back