1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by Rhamnetin, Jul 8, 2018.
First

Back
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Next

Last
  1. mixman
    Well I heard the mini successfully drive the Susvara at CanJam. So I do not see why it will not be able to drive an HE6 too.

2. purk Contributor
    Never tried the HE6 with the Mini but the Susvara sounded great without issues in the treble on the Mini.

3. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Well, I'm fully driving the Phi TC at about 10 o'clock on high gain, so plenty of room for the Susvara! And the TC's sound just phenomenal from the Mini.

4. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Well tonight is some Chris Botti (Impressions) played via Qobuz/Chord DAVE and my HD800S headphones and the GS-X Mini is simply brilliant! I'm using "low" gain and these headphones have never sounded better! The GS_X MK2 might be a bit more revealing of some of the inner-most details, but not by much. But what I am hearing is a bit more bass heft/presence and the treble is a bit smoother. Mids are just brilliant (as is sound staging).

5. mixman
    I know the mini has the power, so I am particularly interested in it's imaging and soundstaging abilities.

6. MacedonianHero Contributor
    In one word, both are "excellent". This amp is right there with the very best I've heard with the Phi TC and HD800S (the two biggest sounding headphones I own or have heard and they were not constricted in anyway with this amp).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  7. hccshin
    How about with ZMF Verite?

8. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Don't own them...sorry no clue. Anyone else hear this combination? (FWIW, my setup is on my profile page).

9. mixman
    Have a Verite and I suspect it should be fine with a mini as long as the amp is overly thick and lush sounding, which the mini does not seem to sound like. Now the Liquid Platinum and Verite was IMHO a bad pairing.

10. commtrd
    IMHO an amp should not sound "thick and lush" it should faithfully reproduce the analog signal streamed to it. So that if it takes an amp that colors and obliterates the sound so much that it renders "thick and lush" there are two potential problems there. First would be that the amp just sucks. Second would be the headphones suck because they need this ridiculous coloration to sound "right". Both not good scenarios at all.

Thankfully the mini does not do this and that is a very good thing. Got my mini on pre-order and Trevor at Norne to build me a new S3 balanced. Woot.

11. Wes S
    I love thick and lush! Different strokes for different folks. Neither of those products suck, that just don't have good synergy. Nothing wrong with a little coloration(life), to the sound.

12. justin w. Contributor
    Good news! The next batch of pre-orders will be going out in 7-10 days and now includes silver and (maybe) red orders but not sure yet. We'll be notifying those customers very soon

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
    Baten, nwavesailor and ksorota like this.
  13. JLoud
    I agree. Everyone has a preference. A product, whether a headphone or amp or something else, only “sucks” if it doesn’t match your preferences. This where comparisons come in handy. Variety is great.

Wes S likes this.
  14. commtrd
    Truth told, if there WAS some coloration imparted by the amp, I would much prefer it be on the warm lush side rather than the cold and sterile "solid state" side kinda like my old Schiit Mjolnir / Gungnir stack which could be a bit strident even shrill at times and was with LCD2c and LCD3.

Having said that, I think it is really nice to have the whole chain reproducing the music truthfully yet with just a faint touch of warmth for that gorgeous musicality such as the Audeze house sound tends to provide. That capability of getting down and touching your soul with that reproduction so clean and pure, staging and imaging such that you could swear you are in the venue, well that is just tits. That's what it's all about... why we go to these lengths for that experiential goodness that so enriches life.

Wes S likes this.
  15. MacedonianHero Contributor
    HeadAmp's gear is fast, transparent and super quick; but still very musical! The thing I love about this one is just how natural it sounds. I hear you on some amps being too thick and too warm, but being a reviewer I want to hear the upstream gear and the headphones and not the amp (unless of course I'm reviewing the amp :wink:). This amp has some real kick and drive sonically and I love listening to it!

commtrd likes this.
First

Back
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Next

Last