1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by Rhamnetin, Jul 8, 2018.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. buzzlulu
    I had the Luxman here for an extended demo. I'm now waiting for my GSX preorder to arrive. I have higher hopes that it will be the one.

2. Icenine2
    And how was the Luxman? Steve Gutenberg loves it and states it’s the best.

3. buzzlulu
    Someone made an interesting comment on the Luxman thread - that Steve Gutenberg also said the Sony Z1R was the best headphone for studio monitoring. I am not disparaging the Z1R (I own and like it) however I think the posters questioning of Gutenberg gives pause for thought.

I am going to hold off on my thoughts of the Luxman until I have a chance to audition the new Headamp IN MY SYSTEM. I had the chance to demo the GSX at NYC CanJam and liked it. It will be something different in my system as it will be slotted in with my two channel digital and vinyl sources - both considered to be amongst the best in existence (see my signature). I know what my Mjolinir amplifier/ Stax 009S does and how it completely gets out of the way and allows these sources to shine. The GSX - wire with gain - should do the same. Once I hear it I will post comments on the Luxman.

4. Icenine2
    Excellent. Please do. I have my doubts with Luxman. I might get a chance in a few weeks to listen with one

5. buzzlulu
    Out of curiosity what are some of your doubts?

6. ksorota
    Looking forward to hearing impressions from CanJam Singapore!

7. Icenine2
    The design of the amp has it packed tightly. I’d love to read what Kevin Gilmore would observe. I prefer clean design of Justin’s amps. Also the cost. How do they justify that cost? Granted w/Headamp you bypass the middleman which is great.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2019, at 6:12 PM, Head-Fi.org <notifications@mail2.head-fi.org> wrote:
    [​IMG]

Icenine2
    Excellent. Please do. I have my doubts with Luxman. I might get a chance in a few weeks to listen with one
    Out of curiosity what are some of your doubts?
    View This Thread Unread Subscribed Threads
    Please do not reply to this email. You must visit Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org to reply.

This message was sent to you because you subscribed to the thread New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini at Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

[​IMG]
    Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

8. Icenine2
    The design of the amp has it packed tightly. I’d love to read what Kevin Gilmore would observe. I prefer clean design of Justin’s amps. Also the cost. How do they justify that cost? Granted w/Headamp you bypass the middleman which is great.

9. Fatdoi
    Quite rare to see Japanese audio gears not filled to the brim

10. buzzlulu
    Actually when you get a chance to play with it, to hold and feel it, the build quality easily justifies the cost. And, like you said, it is stuffed to the brim with circuit boards and components. The sheer amount of components and boards easily justifies the cost as well.

There are clearly different design philosophies at work - one (the GSX) is quite spartan on the inside. The Luxman is definitely different and crammed full. Not passing judgement - simply commenting on what is going on inside both units. Based on the case and sheer amount of components in the Luxman it's double the price of the GSX is warranted.

I liked what I heard at CanJam when I listened to the GSX and have high hopes on its performance once I can slot it into my two channel system and use my sources. I know what the KG designed Carbon does in my system - WOW! If the GSX will do the same and let the goodness of my sources pass through I will be EXTREMELY happy

11. Syik
    I am in the market for a SS amp that can drive my HE-1000 V1 well, so I had auditioned most of the headphone amps (with my own source and headphones) available at Canjam this year. For GSX mini, it definitely drives HE-1000s with authority, showcasing how much these headphones can shine. The mini's distinctive traits are fast, transparent and highly detailed, very similar to GSX mk2 that I had auditioned at the local dealer two months ago. GSX Mini is definitely the most impressive among all amps I had tried on in Canjam, Schiit Ragnarok, Violectric V281, SMSL VMV P1 (still in dev), Focal Arche, Questyles and a few other one-box solutions.

Still debating whether I should go for MK2 or Mini.....

12. buzzlulu
    The primary reason for me going with the Mini vs. the MK2 is the ability of the Mini to accept a single ended source and internally convert it to balanced out. The MK2 will only accept balanced inputs - not single ended.

commtrd likes this.
  13. Arniesb
    You will regret if you dont buy Mk2 after some time...

14. lentoviolento

an smsl su8 dac have balanced outputs and measures extremely well, costs 200 bucks.. if you can afford it take the gsx mk2! it's probably the best ss amp and it is a beauty too!!!

15. ksorota
    Would you suggest being a used MK2 rather than a mint at the same price?

What about only single ended use?

Thanks in advance

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last