New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 8, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,809

Rhamnetin

Headphoneus Supremus
A new dynamic amp from HeadAmp is inbound, the GS-X Mini. Here is all known information about it.

Official update on 10/5/18

Official Product Page

It is a balanced solid state headphone amplifier based on the class A "Dynalo" circuit designed by Kevin Gilmore (read more) which is one of the best headphone amp circuits ever designed, the same basic circuit used in HeadAmp's flagship GS-X Mk2 and also the Gilmore Lite Mk2.

This new amp is able to convert single ended input into balanced (it hasn't been stated just how it does this yet, but these days Dynalo builders are using the "Super Symmetry" design as Nelson Pass calls it).

• $1,795 with Alps Blue volume pot, $1,995 with DACT stepped attenuator
  • Ships Q1 2019, up for preorder as of 10/5/18
  • Has RCA and XLR inputs as the photos below show
  • Has preamp functionality and two gain settings as the photos below show

dI7a2De.jpg

gs1mk2-front.jpg.9e315250d71b3e3d4e528c6111db3b51.jpg

gs1mk2-back.jpg.65c0e9f0c0e7574cb7f0161ba5ea10da.jpg

I will continue to update this thread with more details as they are announced. It has been a long time coming. I would say the original GS-1 still surpasses pretty much every solid state headphone amp below $1,200-1,500, it was surely missed.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 2,809
I will be watching this thread. Good stuff!

GS-X Mk2 is the only SS amp that has really had me interested in any SS amp. I have been close to purchasing one.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 2,809
Also for reference, the new one looks quite a bit bigger than the old. Here is the original:

1.JPG

The original GS-1 is still in the very top tier of single ended headphone amps for those who don't know. If you find a used one for a good price, don't hesitate.

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 2,809
it's about 1" wider, dimensions are very close. Currently, i am not sure if this will be a GS-1 mk2 or a GS-X mini. It is a little of both, and also some stuff that is entirely new.

The DACT will be an optional volume control, same as on the original GS-1. The parts are currently being powder coated, but when I have them back I will take a picture of the original vs new side by side.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 12, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 2,809
it's about 1" wider, dimensions are very close. Currently, i am not sure if this will be a GS-1 mk2 or a GS-X mini. It is a little of both, and also some stuff that is entirely new.

The DACT will be an optional volume control, same as on the original GS-1. The parts are currently being powder coated, but when I have them back I will take a picture of the original vs new side by side.

Thanks for the reply. I will edit the thread title to better reflect the undecided name of this amp.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 2,809

So glad to see the GS-1 (or GS-X mini) come back! The original was one of my favourites!

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 2,809
Dear HeadAmp - will you please consider making a power amp version without the volume control? Since many DACs these days have the volume control, I think it makes a sense for the power amp version which would benefit from the reduced components/cleaner signals.

Nice quality looking inside by the way. I'm subscribed!

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 2,809
In hindsight, it's hard to believe the GS-1 was $750. Most other companies would build an inferior version of the amp and charge double. Now that price range is pretty much a void as far as solid state amps go.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 2,809
In hindsight, it's hard to believe the GS-1 was $750. Most other companies would build an inferior version of the amp and charge double. Now that price range is pretty much a void as far as solid state amps go.
Not to be whatever, but could you provide an example of an amp with very similar parts, total bill of cost that retailed for double.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 2,809
Not to be whatever, but could you provide an example of an amp with very similar parts, total bill of cost that retailed for double.

The math wouldn't add up exactly to that specific example but I think you get the overall point; the profit margins on the GS-1 seem surprisingly low to me. Compare the GS-1 for $750 to similarly priced portable amps from RSA. Also things like seeing very similar power transformers and Alps RK27 volume pots in amps over 3x the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back