New amp for my 650
Mar 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lpchouinard

New Head-Fier
deadhorse.gif
ALERT!

Ok i've just got myself some HD650 (upgraded from HD570) and wow, but now i have a feeling my iBasso D10 is not doing them justice... So i'm now looking for a desktop amp with a USB DAC. I'm about to pull the trigger on the NuForce Icon HDP and wanted your input on this combo before hitting the purchase button.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 16
You can do much better than the NuForce.  What is your budget?  That will help for making recommendations.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't have a pre establish budget but let say 500$ since it's to match a pair of 500$ cans... Also i'm looking for a all in one unit amp,dac,usb and even if possible the AC to DC powersupply.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Getting an all-in-one limits your options, especially at your budget.  If you are willing to split, you honestly can't do much better than this $500 budget:

DAC: HRT Music Streamer II = $150
Amp: Schiit Valhalla = $350

Total = $500

Done.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 16
interesting, I would have prefer a all-in-one but something this sexy can make me change my mind.

Now,how the dac compare on both the ibasso D10 and the Music streamer? Also I've never listen to tube before, lots of love/hate on this subject...

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 16
I know virtually nothing about the iBasso, but the HRT performs way above its price point.  Also, the Valhalla is a great match for the HD650s.  The tubes bring the cans to life.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 16
OK I said 500$, but it can be more if justified.

The HRT seems nice, but i still feel my D10 could do the job with Valhalla, if not I can later upgrade.

As for the 160DS it look amazing, but a few people here seem to have problems with them and being up North I have a feeling that the warranty will be a PITA to deal with. That being said, if it's the best all-in-one available I might give it a try.

One more criteria, it need to work under Linux (Ubuntu 11.10 64bit)

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 16
I already have a Sansui AU-517 (1977), yes it can drive the 650 extremely well, but I don't like the sound, missing some details compared to the iBasso D10. One more thing it's huge, this new rig will be installed at the office on my desk...

Gonna read some more on the 160DS

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 16
The size is the clincher. You need SS.  The Sansui and the Sweet Peach are not in the same universe. BTW it's old enough that the caps are probably bad. That could well be the cause of what you don't like.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 16
As for a unit that works over USB, well the closest recommendation at your price range is a Headroom Desktop, if you find one used. It will be more amp than dac, which is kind of the reverse of my personal preference (well amplified mediocre signal is mediocre), not that the DAC in the Desktop is mediocre, mind you. Another option would be the Micro AMP/DAC stack, which is about the same as the Desktop with regards to electronics but is a bit cheaper and uses minijacks and smaller pots and doesn't have the brightness filter. I used to own a Micro Amp with the same Desktop module and it was fantastic with Senns.

Unfortunately you are not using a Mac because If so then Apogee Duet 2 is a nice choice. I personally trust Apogee's competence more than most small sized "audiophile" boutiques like Nuforce and especially portable equipment. The headphone out is more than sufficient (I even used 94db AKG as well as high impedance HD600). If I used Macs more I probably would have chose the Apogee over the Benchmark for it's size and simplicity. Both sound phenomenal.

Choosing a Duet means you get a huge source upgrade which for me makes all the difference. It's not a Weiss or Emm level source but then it's closer to those than the majority of stuff people rock here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back