New ALO Rx - IEM only - Portable Amplifier Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #31 of 145
Quote:

Thank you 58.
Such a nice amp.  Too bad the thread's so unposted.

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the best amp in my arsenal to date, I guess because it's for IEM's only that it isn't getting the love it desrves,

I just ordered a Portaphile 627, so I will hear soon how they stack up against each other, but the 627 is compared to the Vorzugue PII, and the Rx makes the PII sound congested, so I will see, I have always been wanting to hear the 627, so I took the plunge,

the only other portable amp that I have an interest in will be the new Cavalli portable that is in the works, so I will be interested to hear how the 3 of them compare to one another, and then I will done for a looooong time, and in the end I am sure I will leave with the Rx!

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #32 of 145

Thank you 58.

I agree, more people really should try this little amp.

You have a Hugo right? Currawong mentioned the ALO Rx was comparable to the Hugo with IEMs. What's your thoughts between the Rx and the Hugo (specifically with the Angie)?

I'll do a comparison by tonight.  Bare in mind that the sourse format will be different i.e., co-ax>Hugo vs line out>RX.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #33 of 145
I'll do a comparison by tonight.  Bare in mind that the sourse format will be different i.e., co-ax>Hugo vs line out>RX.

Cant wait! Too bad it doesn't have a Line In to compare only the amps.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #34 of 145

:popcorn:

Obligatory popcorn emoji.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #35 of 145
  Quote:

Thank you 58.

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the best amp in my arsenal to date, I guess because it's for IEM's only that it isn't getting the love it desrves,

I just ordered a Portaphile 627, so I will hear soon how they stack up against each other, but the 627 is compared to the Vorzugue PII, and the Rx makes the PII sound congested, so I will see, I have always been wanting to hear the 627, so I took the plunge,

the only other portable amp that I have an interest in will be the new Cavalli portable that is in the works, so I will be interested to hear how the 3 of them compare to one another, and then I will done for a looooong time, and in the end I am sure I will leave with the Rx!

I assume the Portaphile is named thus because it uses the 627 op amps?  That's one of the choices for the UHA6, and I'd be curious to hear your impressions about it.
With the RX, I don't use my Leckerton, much now.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #36 of 145

popcorn.gif

Obligatory popcorn emoji.

I just tried X5G1 into the Hugo (co-ax) and RX (Line-out).  I think Currawong was right. 
Both are a definite major step-up from the HO of the X5; so much I don't use the HO anymore.
If all I had was the Angie, I mightn't keep the Hugo.  I DO think the RX is that good.  I love a snappy kickdrum and bass groove, and it gives me exactly that. 
I'm an older guy who's played in bands for a number of years.  So bare that in mind. 
The RX has, in my oppinion, made it unnecessary to stack the Hugo for portable listening.  The X5/Rx fits in the pocket of my tight-fittin' pants: they're all tight-fittin'.
That's my summary.  Hope it helps.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 145

I assume the Portaphile is named thus because it uses the 627 op amps?  That's one of the choices for the UHA6, and I'd be curious to hear your impressions about it.
With the RX, I don't use my Leckerton, much now.

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, http://portaphile.com/shop/portaphile-627/ will do, sposed to be here tomorrow,

YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, lol, I no longer listen to any of my once where top of the heap amps either, the Rx is the bomb for me, the synergy I get from my gear is astounding, takes my breath away, I use my ZOv1 for some extra umph in the low end, the clearity and extension that the Rx gives my music is wonderful!

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #38 of 145
I just tried X5G1 into the Hugo (co-ax) and RX (Line-out).  I think Currawong was right. 
Both are a definite major step-up from the HO of the X5; so much I don't use the HO anymore.
If all I had was the Angie, I mightn't keep the Hugo.  I DO think the RX is that good.  I love a snappy kickdrum and bass groove, and it gives me exactly that. 
I'm an older guy who's played in bands for a number of years.  So bare that in mind. 
The RX has, in my oppinion, made it unnecessary to stack the Hugo for portable listening.  The X5/Rx fits in the pocket of my tight-fittin' pants: they're all tight-fittin'.
That's my summary.  Hope it helps.

Cheers!

:beerchug:

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #39 of 145
Hi guys. I live in Portland, OR and recently visited Ken & Caleb at ALO. While there, I got to listen to the new Campfire Audio IEM lineup, which was very nice. My brief audition left me wanting more time with them. I also got to hear a couple experimental designs and got a tour of ALO HQ. Nice!

I had to leave before listening to any if ALO's amps, but Ken was kind enough to loan me a black Rx they had sitting around. I've been listening to it quite a bit over the past few days and am impressed.

I'd like to echo a lot of the sentiments others have expressed. I've found the Rx to be just on the warm side of neutral, detailed, coherent, and spacious. It's size is nice - quite small. I really, really like how it's geared specifically for IEM, affording the listener great travel on the volume pot. Speaking of which, the volume pot is a nice size, is textured to ensure a good grip, and is very smooth but not overly easy to turn. So far so good, right?

What would I change? I'm actually not a fan of the perforated sides. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I'm afraid the openings will allow dust to accumulate inside the amp. And personally, I'm not really into the red glow look. I'd prefer the sides were just solid. But this is a minor niggle.

So far I've used it with BA, Dynamic, and Hybrid IEM. I'm not sensitive to hiss and haven't been bothered by it with the Rx, and I've been impressed by how much travel I've gotten out of the volume pot with all of them. I don't have any super-sensitive IEM, though.

In any case, great job KenB! I hope more people give the new Rx a listen and join in on this thread.

And guys, give the Campfire Audio IEM a shot. They sound great, the build quality is epic, and they're handmade in my town. Big thumbs up!!!

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #40 of 145
Hi guys. I live in Portland, OR and recently visited Ken & Caleb at ALO. While there, I got to listen to the new Campfire Audio IEM lineup, which was very nice. My brief audition left me wanting more time with them. I also got to hear a couple experimental designs and got a tour of ALO HQ. Nice!

I had to leave before listening to any if ALO's amps, but Ken was kind enough to loan me a black Rx they had sitting around. I've been listening to it quite a bit over the past few days and am impressed.

I'd like to echo a lot of the sentiments others have expressed. I've found the Rx to be just on the warm side of neutral, detailed, coherent, and spacious. It's size is nice - quite small. I really, really like how it's geared specifically for IEM, affording the listener great travel on the volume pot. Speaking of which, the volume pot is a nice size, is textured to ensure a good grip, and is very smooth but not overly easy to turn. So far so good, right?

What would I change? I'm actually not a fan of the perforated sides. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I'm afraid the openings will allow dust to accumulate inside the amp. And personally, I'm not really into the red glow look. I'd prefer the sides were just solid. But this is a minor niggle.

So far I've used it with BA, Dynamic, and Hybrid IEM. I'm not sensitive to hiss and haven't been bothered by it with the Rx, and I've been impressed by how much travel I've gotten out of the volume pot with all of them. I don't have any super-sensitive IEM, though.

In any case, great job KenB! I hope more people give the new Rx a listen and join in on this thread.

And guys, give the Campfire Audio IEM a shot. They sound great, the build quality is epic, and they're handmade in my town. Big thumbs up!!!

Thanks for chiming in with your impressions Nikolaus. Told you it's a sweet little unit. There's just something about it that has a very good synergy with my IEM that it competes very well with my full sized setup.

Too bad you couldn't listen to a Studio Six while you were there. I hear it's mind blowing! I'd love to hear the Campfire IEM line, but no where to audition around here. Good to hear positive things about them from you as well! It's a whole different step from amps to IEMs and I wish Ken well in the venture.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 145
Oh, I'll stop by again @x RELIC x. Ken was such a nice guy, and surprisingly enough we share a plant science background. I'm not one to take advantage of his generosity, so after playing with the Rx for awhile, I'll stop by and drop it off. Who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to listen to some other up & coming ALO products while I'm there...

As far as not being able to audition the Campfire Audio gear, I feel your pain. That's the bummer about being an audio addict in North America. It would be great if we could convince Ken to engage in a tour or loaner program similar to Fiio or Oppo. As long as the tour members are properly vetted, it should be safe and allow word of mouth to spread on how good they are. 

How about it @KenB? I've arranged tours before and would love to help get the word out on the Campfire Audio gear!

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #42 of 145
Wanted to listen to my IEMs with the DAC-19 but with my HA-1 amp section I hear ground loop noise (only through my IEM), so I hooked up the ALO Rx to an RCA to 3.5mm cable and guess what....... Probably some of the best music I've heard yet!!

nmatheis, If anyone can organize a tour it's you! :wink_face:

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #43 of 145
Oh stop @x RELIC x 
wink_face.gif

But seriously, I'd love to organize a tour for ALO and help get the word out about the CA stuff. It was great, and it was cool to discover that some of the work is done just down the street from where I grew up and that ALO HQ is just down the street from where my wife lived when we met. I love it that they're keeping all of the production work local instead of farming it out overseas. Kudos to ALO for that!

I've got to get a good desktop setup one of these days...

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #44 of 145
Oh stop @x RELIC x
 :wink_face:

But seriously, I'd love to organize a tour for ALO and help get the word out about the CA stuff. It was great, and it was cool to discover that some of the work is done just down the street from where I grew up and that ALO HQ is just down the street from where my wife lived when we met. I love it that they're keeping all of the production work local instead of farming it out overseas. Kudos to ALO for that!

I've got to get a good desktop setup one of these days...

I'm trying to figure out how to get this in my pocket....... :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back