New Alice In Chains album!!! - Black Gives Way To Blue
Sep 16, 2009 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
Wow! I just found this on Amazon. It comes out on the 29th of this month. It's the first new album of theirs in 14 years. They have a new frontman now and supposedly his duets with Cantrell are excellent.

I just added this to my cart. (I'm also purchasing the new Mark Knopfler album which just came out yesterday and sounds like a refreshing change from his past few albums.)

41KwE8vxMcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm really looking forward to this album.

I've also heard the singer is quite good.

I'm most interested to see what their sound will be like, a call back to Grunge, or Alice's metal grunge? I mean cause that's the first grunge album then in 13 years? Cause Pearl Jam sorta went away from that...

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I just found this on Amazon. It comes out on the 29th of this month. It's the first new album of theirs in 14 years. They have a new frontman now and supposedly his duets with Cantrell are excellent.

I just added this to my cart. (I'm also purchasing the new Mark Knopfler album which just came out yesterday and sounds like a refreshing change from his past few albums.)

LOL! I just ordered both these albums myself a couple days ago
biggrin.gif
I LOVED Alice in Chains - hope the new record is good - I'm open to a Staley-less Alice, as long as the songs are good...

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Not to state the obvious, but there is not, nor will there ever be, a new Alice in Chains album.

This is a new band using that name. Jerry is great and all, but come on.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to state the obvious, but there is not, nor will there ever be, a new Alice in Chains album.

Staley was obviously a better vocalist but that's not to say these guys can't do something equally good.

By your rationale, Pink Floyd is no longer Pink Floyd because Roger Waters left the band. That's absurd. The Division Bell was a superb album.

Genesis is another example, although not as extreme. Peter Gabriel left the band after the first few albums. Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering were both done in the same year, and were the first albums recorded after Gabriel left. They were the best albums Genesis ever made. Phil Collins was a much better vocalist for Genesis. (That's not to say I don't love Gabriel's own stuff, because I do.)

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 16
Their SACD Alice in Chains The Greatest Hits, is a must have for any Cantrell fan. It's mostly unplugged and has topnotch typical AIC harmonies.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL this is absurd. The sound of the new album is pretty much still classic AIC although it feels generally slower, heavier and more crushing. The new vocalist has some similar qualities to his voice, but is no Layne Staley. That's not necessarily a bad thing because he complements the music in a different yet effective way.

Familiar, yet refreshingly different. Still very much Alice In Chains.

Oh... an Jerry IS Alice In Chains.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Also looking forward to this new CD. For Cantrell fans, definitely checkout Degradation Trip - Volumes 1 & 2, and Boggy Depot, Very Tasty stuff.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Finally got my copy. Generally pretty enjoyable record, but I have to confess nothing really jumped out at me as "wow, that's a GREAT" song. I need to play it more. The music is well played for sure, and it's definitely on the heavy side. Vocal harmonies are quite good. But none of the actual SONGS really grabbed me yet. Hopefully on repeat listening that will change.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 16
I just listened the first 3, and vow, amazing
my Blackgates are leaking ROCK,
Considering I`m not their fan, so dont care about their vocalist change
Finally some pure ROCK in 2009..

EDIT: YES, probably the best thing of 2009, it just kills the last Pearl Jam, but I have to check Black Crowes yet,

I like more the way it sounds, then the music itself, which is good anyway,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back