New AKG Owner
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

drivelikejehu

New Head-Fier
First I would like to say Hello, and what an awesome forum you have here! I have been searching around for some time now and have found everything i've needed up until now.

Quick backround: I come from the world of iPod headphones and 128kbps mp3's. After listening to a friend's pair of 701's, I decided to re-rip all of my music in Apple Lossless and buy an entry level pair of headphones. I chose a pair of AKG 242 HD's for starters after some recommendation and tons of searching on this forum and others. So far I have been very pleased with them.

I 'burned-in' these headphones over the course of a few days with considerable breaks, using a variety music. These headphones have never been played at volumes over what I generally listen to (around 3/4 volume on my mac).

Now, on to the problem. From time to time I have been hearing a crackling noise. It mostly appears on mid-range guitar stums. I can hear it through both channels, though I will say it is more prevalent in the left. I have heard it on many tracks by a huge variety of artists, the most obvious example being Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven starting at 5:33. I have attached a 20 second (3.4mb) WAV file here:

http://www.velocityskateboards.com/mike/stairway.wav

I tried my AKG's (all on direct line outputs) on my computer, a friends identical 15" macbook pro, and my iPod all with exactly the same results. Here's the tricky part. I tried my "upgrade" iPod squishy in-ear headphones on all three devices again, and I still hear it! Now i'm leaning towards either a) soundcard or b) it's just supposed to be there on the track.

If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it greatly! I figure if anyone else can hear it, it's probably just supposed to be there. If no one else can hear it, I have a real problem with either my headphones or with my soundcard.

Sorry for the long first post!

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 14
Most probably an issue with the compression of the file making it distort. I hear it as well.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by maanster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most probably an issue with the compression of the file making it distort. I hear it as well.

edit! Welcome to head-fi! may your listening sessions be as long as your future upgradeatitis.

edit2: obviously I fail in clicking buttons with text on it, my apologies..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 14
Me 2 i hear it on my Ultrasone Pro 750.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by maanster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hm, I didn't think about compression. Everything I have been listening to has been Apple Lossless. Would this have something to do with it?

It does seem that with others hearing it is not a problem with my setup.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 14
Preferably use any popular open source ripper, they get more testing than any other kind.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by drivelikejehu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, I didn't think about compression. Everything I have been listening to has been Apple Lossless. Would this have something to do with it?

It does seem that with others hearing it is not a problem with my setup.

Do you hear it when listening directly to the CD, or only with the ripped file?

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you hear it when listening directly to the CD, or only with the ripped file?

Until now I hadn't any suspicions that it might be the ripped file, so im going to re-rip (*sigh*) my friends cd book again and see if it goes away. It may be awhile but i'll update when I get there. Thanks for the help so far!

Also, i'll leave that link up for another day or so then i'm going to take it down.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 14
i have the akg k272hd and i usually hear that crackling noise with lower quality files. good luck solving your problem.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 14
If you're hanging around here it won't be long until you get into FLAC and compression issues won't be an issue.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 14
I'm not sure how easy the new AKGs are to drive. My vintage AKGs clip out of my iPod. That could be what your hearing, although guitar strumming is not where I'd expect it. Does your friend have an amp for the K701. If so, try listening with the amp and see if it's still there.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how easy the new AKGs are to drive. My vintage AKGs clip out of my iPod. That could be what your hearing, although guitar strumming is not where I'd expect it. Does your friend have an amp for the K701. If so, try listening with the amp and see if it's still there.

It's not a driving issue. Other people including me hear it on that sample he gave us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back