NEW! AKG K812
Nov 3, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #978 of 990
I think we don't need another thread with pages upon pages of discussion about a headphone nobody has in their possession at the moment. 

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #980 of 990
So is this headphone as bad as Tyll and metal571 make it? On a german music equipment retailer it ranks on position 9 for studio headphones which is pretty high for a 750€ headphone. It got a lot of favorable reviews.
I know it's 2022 now, but I think your question is still relevant.

From the box they are quite harsh from treble, but they get better during time.

With SonarWorks they are as good as HD800's. They require good amping and 192k DAC to shine. As well as some spice to lighten up their presence, like SSL's 4K effect. From dynamics wise they are far better than HD800's in my opinion. A meaty boy.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #981 of 990
I would personally have kept mine if it hadn’t been for the piercing treble performance. I did own it for a good year and did not notice any difference in the way the highs sounded.
Afterwards though I was thinking that perhaps the harsh highs were down to the weird pads and that maybe a pair of velours would do the trick. It is however a lot of dough to spend on a headphone that I’m not even sure I can fix.
Then again peeps into a treble forward sound a la the Arya, DT1990, HD800S, ADX5000 and so forth will most likely adore the K812👍

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #982 of 990
I can not believe how far this thread goes back! My comments for them are piercing treble. I am a majot fan of most AKG, but these are just a tad too bright. But I guess I may not be the best to ask because I am a sucker for the 371s....

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #983 of 990
No piercing treble with the AKG k812 on any of my headphone amps. It's a wonderful headphone. I'm tossing up only keeping these and the Mysphere 3.2, they're both that good.

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #984 of 990
I would personally have kept mine if it hadn’t been for the piercing treble performance. I did own it for a good year and did not notice any difference in the way the highs sounded.
Afterwards though I was thinking that perhaps the harsh highs were down to the weird pads and that maybe a pair of velours would do the trick. It is however a lot of dough to spend on a headphone that I’m not even sure I can fix.
Then again peeps into a treble forward sound a la the Arya, DT1990, HD800S, ADX5000 and so forth will most likely adore the K812👍
Interesting..., i loved adx5000 and arya sound, but sadly 812 pro so rare in here

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #985 of 990
the AKG K812 is a highly underrated headphone. i am constantly surprised at how good this headphone sounds -- great bass, large soundstage, amazing detail and comfort. the headphones can sound bright after a while (maybe some EQ can help that) but does not detract from the overall listening experience. i also love the wooden stand. the stock cable is a bit low fi but can be replaced.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #987 of 990
Jul 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #988 of 990
K812 is easy to drive!

My basic DIY schema

1658848459397.png

but with some modifications - C4 1000µF BlackGate, R11 5 OHM, Burson V6 Vivid fully discrete single audio opamps and other mods.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #989 of 990
Hello!

I love my K812 and have never experienced siblance on them even though I am very sensitive to siblance on other headphones (Beyers and even the hifiman Ananda)

Everyone I have shown them to also have not had any problems with the highs on my pair.

I run them off a ibasso Dx300 anyone have any idea why others are saying they are sibilant or harsh?

I got my pair used so maybe burn in? Dac/Amp pairing?

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #990 of 990
Hello!

I love my K812 and have never experienced siblance on them even though I am very sensitive to siblance on other headphones (Beyers and even the hifiman Ananda)

Everyone I have shown them to also have not had any problems with the highs on my pair.

I run them off a ibasso Dx300 anyone have any idea why others are saying they are sibilant or harsh?

I got my pair used so maybe burn in? Dac/Amp pairing?
IMHO, the AKG K812 is one of the greatest headphones of all time. It's slightly bright, but certainly not piercing ALA Tyll's description. The K812 and Focal's Utopia are getting equal time at the moment (the Mysphere 3.2 is away being repaired at the moment). In the Utopia's lofty company, the K812 holds up very, very well and, if anything, I may slightly prefer the latter. But, then again, I think the Stax Sigma Pro is my favourite headphone. It certainly did piano more evenly than any other phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back