New AKG headphones K175, K245, K275
Oct 5, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #241 of 323
I've not tried it myself but how about some doughnut shaped shims out of some plastic or something to place over the mounting ring/lip to fill out. Like the hifiman pad mounting rings but without the mounting tabs.

Man, I should invest time into learing how to 3D model and buy myself a 3D printer.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #242 of 323
So i found a solution for the "floating pads" problem due to oversized rubber lips (oversized rubber lips sounds weird tho :smile:). It is simple yet very effective. I also added some padding to the headband (to add a bit more pressure from the top, releasing a bit of the clampforce.). The headphone now sits almost perfectly. Will see if it stays this way.

I'll post my results along with some images in a few days.

And yes, 3D printing really is something to consider. Have thought about it couple of times, but then again its really expensive, and all the plastic resources and all that.

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #243 of 323
@Corti Very excited to see your solution.

I just noticed u have k371. How do they compare to k245. I know they're a different category of cans but I'm toying with the idea of buying k371.

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #244 of 323
So here, as announced, is my "solution" now.
First picture is the unmodded situation (only with new pads). the pads kept slipping down so i had to readjust them every 15 mins or so. really annoying.

01_nomod.png

Second pic is what i used to counter this unbearable situation.
Top right is some leftover fabric used for making masks during the beginning of covid-pandemic.
below is some cusion i scavenged from the Sundara package to reinforce the headstrap.
At bottom of the pic is what i surprisingly found to solve the pad-slipping. Those are replacement shoelaces that were lazily lying around (of course unused).

02_utilities.png

Next is the laces that fit ridiculously well onto the groove. It's like they were made for that specific purpose :D And it doesnt even look silly, in fact i kinda like the contrast it gives. They neither slip inside nor do they fall off. Amazing.

03_front.png
:)
04_back.png

03 04

Last pic is after i "installed" the padding + fabric onto the headstrap which gives it some more stability from the top while also releasing a bit of clampforce as a result. This is still workinprogress, e.g. getting rid of the excessive bands holding the padding..

05_full.png

So yea, im pretty content with the results.
the headphones now sit really comfortable, i dont have to adjust anything. i even went to the supermarket yesterday and everything stayed in place.
:beerchug:

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #246 of 323
Just ordered myself a pair of the K245 to try out.

I had also been eager to see how these would do when they were first announced and was a bit surprised to see how quickly they were discontinued.

Nevertheless I'll be keen to see how these compare to my three favorite AKGs - The K400, K240DF and the K1000 which I still use regularly.

I can make some FR measurements to post if anyone is interested...

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Oct 30, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #247 of 323
Just ordered myself a pair of the K245 to try out.

I had also been eager to see how these would do when they were first announced and was a bit surprised to see how quickly they were discontinued.

Nevertheless I'll be keen to see how these compare to my three favorite AKGs - The K400, K240DF and the K1000 which I still use regularly.

That would be awesome. I saw the rtings fr and that's why I bought a pair. They supposedly have near perfect bass response, high frequencies a bit wobbly. Not quite as good as the Phillips SHP 9500, I got these on sale for $50. Might as well, right? I'd like to see if you get the same fr.

For the pads issue I went jank. I pulled the inner thin black wrap part off of the screen filter. It just kinda hangs loose inside the earcup. Can't see it, can't feel it. Stock pads too small so I cut some of the foam from the inside diameter so the pads would fit over my ears. Expanded foam + ears inside the cups means my ears are sitting about the same distance away from the speakers. I'm sure it changed the sound a bit but I can't tell a big difference, can't see it from the outside. Pads still fit like stock bc they're stock lol.

I do like the shoestring fix above that looks nice 😀

Oh one more thing- I bent the metal bands back to reduce clamping force. If you do that, bend it outward near the earcups. Don't bend it at the top, the spring strap doesn't pull out far enough. They're metal bands, no biggie.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #249 of 323
Yes, very interested. it would be great to finally have a reliable freq response measurement. this hp was the first time i eq'ed by ear instead of using an fr graph as a starting point. would be curious to know what i did there :D

having had them for a few months now, im still very happy with em.
The Bass is great for an open/semi-open. The soundstage is not huge but beautiful.. It is kinda heterogenous as if there was a second layer in the background with some certain tracks. i always notice this effect on these cans.
Timbre is not the best, but i have other phones for that matter. These K245 have become my go to's for electronic, wave and chill music with low-end emphasis.

That would be awesome. I saw the rtings fr and that's why I bought a pair. They supposedly have near perfect bass response, high frequencies a bit wobbly.
what fr from rtings are you talking about? i cant find any.. do have a url?

Didn't realise they were discontinued. The price on amazon has just rocketed. Was waiting for the to drop to £49 again
for me they are worth 100+$, that is if you either feel comfy enough with the stockpads or willing to swap pads for bigger ones.

ps and off-topic: @tdogzthmn my 6xx's just arrived 2 days ago. Kudos, keep up the good work there at drop :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #250 of 323
for me they are worth 100+$, that is if you either feel comfy enough with the stockpads or willing to swap pads for bigger ones.
I've got the K275s and love them but had to change the pads, the vibrations from the drivers on the edge of my ears was too irritating. I fancy the k245s for an easy to drive open back, more for hearing ambient room noise around me than the open soundstage.

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #251 of 323
I've got the K275s and love them but had to change the pads, the vibrations from the drivers on the edge of my ears was too irritating. I fancy the k245s for an easy to drive open back, more for hearing ambient room noise around me than the open soundstage.
Yea, i have a piercing on my left ear helix. when that gets cramped thats really uncomfy..

they are truly easy to drive from any (smart)phone, and the possibility with open backs to be able to hear surroundings, especially outdoors is very nice indeed. great for running aswell. one downside is, when mounting bigger pads the headphone will become fairly weighty, exceeding 300g which is a bit unpractical, due to not-so-perfect weight distribution. also the self-adjusting mechanism will get strained with time. do you notice this with your closed-back 275's too?

i dont think they will drop below 50£ . retailers will probably sell their last units and thats gonna be it. but you never know..

edit: i saw that u said drop to 49£ again, thats interesting, meaning they were at that price at some point..

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #252 of 323
I look forward to your measurements. The issues should correlate closely with the impedance curve I posted back in post #204 of this thread, with raggedness from roughly 1.6kHz to 5kHz. These are all directly related to the diaphram's dimensions and poorly damped termination of the diaphram's edge. 2" diameter = ~5kHz and 6.2" circumference = ~1.6kHz. Add in an undamped reflection off the back of the cup and you have a real mess in the lower trebles. Which is a real pity because, as others have noted as well, with better pads, the tuning of these phones below 1kHz is superb, among the best dynamics I've ever heard.

And the stock pads don't help. They block some of the tuning ports. What we need are 95mm dia. velour pads with 62mm holes and dense foam. But nobody makes such a thing.

I've lessened the 5kHz peakiness a bit by adding a small disc of felt behind the driver inside the cup. I think it can be improved even more by selectively blocking a few of the holes around the diaphragm's perimeter. But I haven't had time to play with it lately.

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #253 of 323
Yea, i have a piercing on my left ear helix. when that gets cramped thats really uncomfy..

they are truly easy to drive from any (smart)phone, and the possibility with open backs to be able to hear surroundings, especially outdoors is very nice indeed. great for running aswell. one downside is, when mounting bigger pads the headphone will become fairly weighty, exceeding 300g which is a bit unpractical, due to not-so-perfect weight distribution. also the self-adjusting mechanism will get strained with time. do you notice this with your closed-back 275's too?

i dont think they will drop below 50£ . retailers will probably sell their last units and thats gonna be it. but you never know..

edit: i saw that u said drop to 49£ again, thats interesting, meaning they were at that price at some point..
No piercing but irritation at the same point anyway!

It's the Brainwavez XL microsuede pads I've got and yes, they do add a bit of weight and can slip down a bit but it's still much better than stock pads.

Yes, until very recently Amazon UK had it for £49. I hesitated as I was also considering the X2hr as they look like they would let in more ambient noise than the k245. Probably should have ordered the k245s when the price was low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back