New AirPods 3rd Generation (2021)
Nov 16, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #77 of 89
Why didn’t you just run them in transparency mode? They are even better than the original AirPods for that use case. I use that mode with my APP more than I use noise reduction.

Yes, the transparency feature in APP is excellent, but the problem for me is that with IEMs the feeling that I have something inside my ears never is going away and this is why my ears never feeling really ‘free’.

With AP 1 and 2, and now with AP 3, the earphones are resting outside the ear canals. This is very comfortable (you quickly forgetting you have something in your ears) and your ears can breathing too, this is more healthy.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #78 of 89
Why didn’t you just run them in transparency mode? They are even better than the original AirPods for that use case. I use that mode with my APP more than I use noise reduction.
I think he doesn't like the feeling of the tip pushing against his ear canal which most IEMs give. It might be a thing with all IEMs in general (I'm not sure what other IEMs he's used in the past) or if it's specifically the APP's silicone tips (due to their shape, size, etc.). If it is specifically the APP, there's also the issue that tip rolling is quite difficult with it as well, so if the default tips don't fit well, you're kind of out of luck.

Edit: just realized he more or less answered this already.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #79 of 89
Yes, the transparency feature in APP is excellent, but the problem for me is that with IEMs the feeling that I have something inside my ears never is going away and this is why my ears never feeling really ‘free’.

With AP 1 and 2, and now with AP 3, the earphones are resting outside the ear canals. This is very comfortable (you quickly forgetting you have something in your ears) and your ears can breathing too, this is more healthy.
Ok. That makes sense. I agree with the comfort of resting outside your ear canals. I tend to prefer that too, but sometimes I want the extra clearness transparency mode brings.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #80 of 89
After 5 weeks, I want speaking about how happy I am with the AP3, really more than I thinking initially.

First is that I'm listening to music many more than with AP1 or AP2 because the sound is many better. Testing new music in youtube or other website quickly, or audio file a friend is sending me, is now many, many better, giving me better idea not only of the quality of the music but THE quality of the sound.

Second is that I'm usually using my AP1 & 2 principally for podcasts and calls every day for last few years, but now with AP3 I'm doing this too but with podcasts the sound with "spatialise stereo" on is really better, more realistic and immersive (podcasts are important for me). By the way, I don't like "spatialise audio" with music or even using Atmos music usually (when is possible), for me in general the music isn't sounding so good like in normal stereo.

Third, and this is completely not something I'm planning before, is that with the new Apple TV 4K the sound of AP3 with "spatial audio" is really great (with hbo max, netflix, amazon prime and apple tv), a big difference from normal stereo, and not only with AP3 but many more big difference with AP1 or 2.

AP3 now with more battery life, this product is better too. And I know this isn't my imagination but the AP3 case is charging more quickly with Apple's magsafe wireless charger than before with my AP2 wireless case. This is only a happy extra bonus.

I can definitely saying now that the AP3 is one of the very best products I buying in a long, long time.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #81 of 89
Oof, I don't remember when they released. But the battery issues for me happened before the APP were released. But I had my AP1 replaced when the battery issues got ridiculous since I needed them for the office :p I've also heard of some people having their AP1 last for ever while others had theirs last barely a year and a half in terms of battery longevity. Manufacturing tolerances could also have something to do with it too. I haven't had the chance to test the auto connect feature with my AP1 since it's been that long since I dusted them off. It does work very well with the APP and APM, sometimes too well.

No one really commented on the looks when they saw me with them in the office. Everyone asked if I liked them and how they sounded. When I responded positively and how perfectly situated they would be for voice calls, they started exploding in the office. By that same token, I have been caught wearing a pair of iSine 10 in the office, I did get asked about that.

Like you though, the convenience of the AirPods and realizing how convenient they were are what won me over. I immediately said that if Apple could make an IEM that was essentially the ADDIEM + AirPods, I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they were under 250. The APP more or less are that.
Do you still use the ADDIEM? It was my first Apple headphone and still use them from time to time, even though its bass shy / too bright presentation is not my piece of cake! Have you applied the additional impedance thing or just using them as they are?

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #82 of 89
Do you still use the ADDIEM? It was my first Apple headphone and still use them from time to time, even though its bass shy / too bright presentation is not my piece of cake! Have you applied the additional impedance thing or just using them as they are?
I honestly have no clue where mine are anymore. I’d have to dig them out. I did enjoy them quite a bit though since they kind of fit my preference of sound. I didn’t do the impedance thing though, I do remember those experiments being done though. I also remember getting a lot of flack for giving them an OK audio quality score when I get as reviewing them (review wasn’t on here, it was for an Apple-focused forum that’s not defunct).

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #83 of 89
I honestly have no clue where mine are anymore. I’d have to dig them out. I did enjoy them quite a bit though since they kind of fit my preference of sound. I didn’t do the impedance thing though, I do remember those experiments being done though. I also remember getting a lot of flack for giving them an OK audio quality score when I get as reviewing them (review wasn’t on here, it was for an Apple-focused forum that’s not defunct).
It's a very good iem. Bass light for my taste but still really analytical and full of detailed presentation. I use it with foam tips and I really enjoy it. After some years I had bought the second version which I own now, with the then "new" volume/microphone rocket. Listening with them hi-res Apple Music through an Apogee One 24/96. Nice audio for sure!

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #84 of 89
It's a very good iem. Bass light for my taste but still really analytical and full of detailed presentation. I use it with foam tips and I really enjoy it. After some years I had bought the second version which I own now, with the then "new" volume/microphone rocket. Listening with them hi-res Apple Music through an Apogee One 24/96. Nice audio for sure!
I found them to be quite smooth and warm. It was an enjoyable sound signature for sure. I remember I did get another pair swapped out after I asked for new ear tips. Apparently at the time Apple didn't sell ear tips separately, so they had to swap out the entire unit. It was under warranty though.

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #85 of 89
I've spent a bit more time using these and I'm starting to notice some trends in how they behave. I'd like to ask you all a quick question.
As you may already have noticed, when you start to play a track for the first time, you may get an elevated / different bass response for a fraction of a second until the Adaptive EQ settles.

If you take a track that starts with a prominent bass (ex : Massive Attack's Girl I Love You, but pick any track that starts with bass), would you mind checking if you experience the same behaviour, as I do ?
A) Put the AP3 in your ears. Don't play anything for 10-15 seconds. Now start the track. Is the bass response elevated / different for a fraction of a second until Adaptive EQ settles ?
B) Now stop playback, and resume it within a 6 seconds window (no later). Is the bass response elevated / different for a fraction of a second until Adaptive EQ settles, or is it the same as the level it had already settled to when playing the track ?
C) Do the same stop / resume playback method, but this time wait for 12 seconds before resuming playback. Is the bass response elevated / different for a fraction of a second until Adaptive EQ settles, or is it the same as the level it had already settled to when playing the track ?

For those living in very quiet surroundings, do you notice a very faint, brown-is noise that lasts for 7s or so after you stop playback and resume when you re-start it ? You really have to be in super-quiet surroundings to hear it (for me as soon as my fridge starts I can no longer hear it, and it's fainter by a good margin than all ANC headphones' background noise that I've tried, so don't worry if you don't notice it).

Feb 14, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #86 of 89
I've spent a bit more time using these and I'm starting to notice some trends in how they behave. I'd like to ask you all a quick question.
As you may already have noticed, when you start to play a track for the first time, you may get an elevated / different bass response for a fraction of a second until the Adaptive EQ settles.

If you take a track that starts with a prominent bass (ex : Massive Attack's Girl I Love You, but pick any track that starts with bass), would you mind checking if you experience the same behaviour, as I do ?
A) Put the AP3 in your ears. Don't play anything for 10-15 seconds. Now start the track. Is the bass response elevated / different for a fraction of a second until Adaptive EQ settles ?
B) Now stop playback, and resume it within a 6 seconds window (no later). Is the bass response elevated / different for a fraction of a second until Adaptive EQ settles, or is it the same as the level it had already settled to when playing the track ?
C) Do the same stop / resume playback method, but this time wait for 12 seconds before resuming playback. Is the bass response elevated / different for a fraction of a second until Adaptive EQ settles, or is it the same as the level it had already settled to when playing the track ?

For those living in very quiet surroundings, do you notice a very faint, brown-is noise that lasts for 7s or so after you stop playback and resume when you re-start it ? You really have to be in super-quiet surroundings to hear it (for me as soon as my fridge starts I can no longer hear it, and it's fainter by a good margin than all ANC headphones' background noise that I've tried, so don't worry if you don't notice it).

I'm using the same song of Massive Attack that you suggesting for the test.

A) I don't hearing a difference for fraction of a second.
B) I don't hearing a difference for fraction of a second.
c) I don't hearing a difference for fraction of a second.

I'm in quiet environment but isn't "super-quiet" so I'm not hearing what you're hearing of brown noise.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #87 of 89

To all three questions I don’t hear any differences within a fraction of a second. If I shift the headphones (reposition then in my ear) while music is playing, I’ll hear a shift in tone then it’ll try to equalize within a fraction of a second (which is expected).

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #88 of 89
If I shift the headphones (reposition then in my ear) while music is playing, I’ll hear a shift in tone then it’ll try to equalize within a fraction of a second (which is expected).

I know this isn't important but for me is the same, BUT isn't taking a fraction of a second, maybe a second or only very little more long (definitely not 2 seconds that for me is very long)

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #89 of 89
I know this isn't important but for me is the same, BUT isn't taking a fraction of a second, maybe a second or only very little more long (definitely not 2 seconds that for me is very long)
It’s definitely not longer than a second for me. Maybe ¼ to ½ second for the adaptation to take affect. And that’s only with major movements with the AP3. Otherwise, if I don’t touch them and they shift under normal movement it’s seem less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back