New AirPods 3rd Generation (2021)
Nov 1, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #61 of 89
Thanks - looking forward to try - just placed the order (as you I come from and old gen 1, where battery lift isn't what it used to be)
Battery is probably the one thing I hate about the TWS AirPods line. The degrade within 2 years for the most part :/ Generally quicker too.

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #63 of 89
Battery is probably the one thing I hate about the TWS AirPods line. The degrade within 2 years for the most part :/ Generally quicker too.
Yes, I agree. So, far it seems like the APP is better in that regards, than the AP1 was for me. Fingers crossed.
I do think some of it also comes down to use pattern. I never used mine for full day meetings or Teams conferences but only for workouts. So, I almost never drained them completely and I think that could have made my AP1 last longer than average. It would be nice with a battery replacement option, but I guess repairing stuff is not how the world works today.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #64 of 89
I was looking into getting a pair of the AP3 or the Powerbeats Pro. Has anyone tried both of these headphones? If so, what is the consensus? I'm interested in the sub-bass in particular on both. I plan on using these to work out and listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop when I work out, hence the sub-bass question. I recall hearing the PB Pro have good sub-bass but was curious if the AP3 are as good or better. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #65 of 89
I was looking into getting a pair of the AP3 or the Powerbeats Pro. Has anyone tried both of these headphones? If so, what is the consensus? I'm interested in the sub-bass in particular on both. I plan on using these to work out and listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop when I work out, hence the sub-bass question. I recall hearing the PB Pro have good sub-bass but was curious if the AP3 are as good or better. Thanks!

The AP3 does have surprisingly good bass (for an earbud) but it doesn't go into the sub-bass region like the Powerbeats Pro (more of an IEM). The AP3 rolls off quickly below 60 Hz while the Powerbeats Pro are good all the way down to 10 Hz. Obviously it depends on the music (and the fit) as to how noticeable the differences are. I do have both and there is no comparison down deep.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #66 of 89
Two years isn't too bad...
If you think about costs to use, we have the AP1/AP2 is about 120-140 every 2 years (5.00-5.83 dollars/mo), APP is about 180 every 2 years (7.50 dollars/mo). It's not too bad, though if you could double the battery life, it should halve the power cycles which would cut the cost in half.
Yes, I agree. So, far it seems like the APP is better in that regards, than the AP1 was for me. Fingers crossed.
I do think some of it also comes down to use pattern. I never used mine for full day meetings or Teams conferences but only for workouts. So, I almost never drained them completely and I think that could have made my AP1 last longer than average. It would be nice with a battery replacement option, but I guess repairing stuff is not how the world works today.
I will admit that the APP seem to fare better in terms of battery longevity, though my AP1 was more or less launch day, though I did get a replacement pair eventually, it hasn't seen as much use so I never got to test the battery completely. It's also possible Apple's gotten better with having higher quality batteries in it.
So if you're looking for sub-bass, an earbud design tends to be inferior for that. You could boost it a little by using spatial audio or an EQ, but an IEM might be better suited for that. Though by that same notion it's not a guarantee, I remember the BeatsX rolling off quite early which was kind of a let down. The Beats Fit Pro also recently released, no clue how they sound though.

The APP does have better extension into the sub bass and overall better balance between the bass, mids, and treble (and even within the bass, within the mids, and within the treble). Though the linear sound signature isn't for everyone. If you don't mind going outside the Apple ecosystem there are a lot of cheap TWS that might fit the bill for what you're looking for as well like the Jabra 85t, Panasonic RZ-S500, etc. There might be more suggestions in the TWS thread on Head-Fi too.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #67 of 89
I think I feel the same way. I did not expect AP3 to be THAT good. Very pleasent sound all around. And they feel feather-light and sits tight in the ears.

I'm happy that you're getting more than your expectations with the AP3. I have now my pair for one week and playing a lot of different music and the AP3 is excellent like I saying for one week.

The spatialise stereo I'm only using with podcasts and I really like the difference in sound comparing with normal stereo sound. But with music (I don't streaming music, all my music files are local in my MBP or iPhone) I always preferring normal stereo.

The new MagSafe charging feature of the case I liking very much too because with the magnets now the position is always 100% perfect and is instant doing this (with AP2 I always needing checking the position is always correct and making sure nothing is very near the case or MagSafe in case they're moving a little and not charging correctly).

Is curious that I'm using more my AP3, now sometimes with my TV too because the sound is excellent and the fit is so comfortable. Like you, I'm hoping the AP3 is very good when I ordering from Apple, but not "that good".

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #68 of 89
If you think about costs to use, we have the AP1/AP2 is about 120-140 every 2 years (5.00-5.83 dollars/mo), APP is about 180 every 2 years (7.50 dollars/mo). It's not too bad, though if you could double the battery life, it should halve the power cycles which would cut the cost in half.

I will admit that the APP seem to fare better in terms of battery longevity, though my AP1 was more or less launch day, though I did get a replacement pair eventually, it hasn't seen as much use so I never got to test the battery completely. It's also possible Apple's gotten better with having higher quality batteries in it.

So if you're looking for sub-bass, an earbud design tends to be inferior for that. You could boost it a little by using spatial audio or an EQ, but an IEM might be better suited for that. Though by that same notion it's not a guarantee, I remember the BeatsX rolling off quite early which was kind of a let down. The Beats Fit Pro also recently released, no clue how they sound though.

The APP does have better extension into the sub bass and overall better balance between the bass, mids, and treble (and even within the bass, within the mids, and within the treble). Though the linear sound signature isn't for everyone. If you don't mind going outside the Apple ecosystem there are a lot of cheap TWS that might fit the bill for what you're looking for as well like the Jabra 85t, Panasonic RZ-S500, etc. There might be more suggestions in the TWS thread on Head-Fi too.
I have a set of ADV M5TWS wireless that sound incredible for the price of $150. They need foam tips and don't fit into the charging base with them on so that's a pain but for the money they're...money...LOL

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #69 of 89
FWIW: Just received the AP3 and wow - didn't expect this. Big sound and very comfortable. Way better than AP1. Almost like open back HPs :wink:

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #70 of 89
FWIW: Just received the AP3 and wow - didn't expect this. Big sound and very comfortable. Way better than AP1. Almost like open back HPs :wink:
Yeah I noticed this too. There is a bigger driver and it makes a big difference. I'm quite excited to see them implement this driver into airpods pro and it will sound much better. I compared the Airpods 2 to 3 to pro and very impressed by the airpods 3 bass.

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #71 of 89
Just received the AP3 and I am genuinely impressed. The sound is so deep, full and detailed that I could not believe it's coming from so small units just hanging on the outer part of your ear. You can really wear them for ever without feeling you have something in your ear. No pressure, no silicon, no pads, no weight. Surely city noises may cause the well known auditory masking, but on the other hand the open nature of the AP3 offers a new quality in the sound perception. You feel that sound is not produced within your head but around you, coming from outside. Yes, I believe it is a more natural way to listen, by allowing your ears to breath without blocking them, even with the "negative" effect of listening in parallel many different sources. I think that even music gets a new meaning this way. Also due to the lack of any seal, in combination with the adaptive eq, the bass as well as rest frequencies remain always fully consistent. As much as you may move, frequency response remains always intact. To me at least, all in ears including the APP, lose their seal after some time, which as a result causes the annoying weakening of low frequencies to the right or left ear. Nothing like that can possibly happen with the AP3 since there is no seal, thus they produce the same-stable response by just sitting on your outer ear, however your head may move. Ear is not feeling pushed so it does not fight to kick anything out of it. At the bottom line, yes I miss ANC when walking in a noisy city but it is a more natural and open way to listen to music. The bass is really impressive for an open earbud with zero seal, much better I think than on the APP. Finally I realised that with ANC or transparency on, which is how I was only using the APP, I never possibly allowed adaptive eq to operate. So it may indeed cause some differences in the audio quality.

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #72 of 89
Just received the AP3 and I am genuinely impressed. The sound is so deep, full and detailed that I could not believe it's coming from so small units just hanging on the outer part of your ear. You can really wear them for ever without feeling you have something in your ear. No pressure, no silicon, no pads, no weight. Surely city noises may cause the well known auditory masking, but on the other hand the open nature of the AP3 offers a new quality in the sound perception. You feel that sound is not produced within your head but around you, coming from outside. Yes, I believe it is a more natural way to listen, by allowing your ears to breath without blocking them, even with the "negative" effect of listening in parallel many different sources. I think that even music gets a new meaning this way. Also due to the lack of any seal, in combination with the adaptive eq, the bass as well as rest frequencies remain always fully consistent. As much as you may move, frequency response remains always intact. To me at least, all in ears including the APP, lose their seal after some time, which as a result causes the annoying weakening of low frequencies to the right or left ear. Nothing like that can possibly happen with the AP3 since there is no seal, thus they produce the same-stable response by just sitting on your outer ear, however your head may move. Ear is not feeling pushed so it does not fight to kick anything out of it. At the bottom line, yes I miss ANC when walking in a noisy city but it is a more natural and open way to listen to music. The bass is really impressive for an open earbud with zero seal, much better I think than on the APP. Finally I realised that with ANC or transparency on, which is how I was only using the APP, I never possibly allowed adaptive eq to operate. So it may indeed cause some differences in the audio quality.

So, you finally buying the AP3. I’m very happy you have a very good opinion.

Like I saying before, the fact your ears can breathing is a very positive aspect. And of course the great comfort AND the excellent sound.

(Maybe you can editing your post and separate all the text in paragraphs. This way is more easy for reading, specially because you’re mentioning different aspects of this and others IEMs)

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #73 of 89
So, you finally buying the AP3. I’m very happy you have a very good opinion.

Like I saying before, the fact your ears can breathing is a very positive aspect. And of course the great comfort AND the excellent sound.

(Maybe you can editing your post and separate all the text in paragraphs. This way is more easy for reading, specially because you’re mentioning different aspects of this and others IEMs)
Uh oh, grammer police sighting!!!

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #74 of 89
The AP3 definitely is everything I was hoping for. Soundwise, I have nothing to complain about for the purpose of having music during exercise.
I went for a run today and it was raining outside. It was nice not having to worry about the water. I am wearing a hardshell running-jacket and when it rains I take the hoodie over my head. If I had used my APP (on transparency mode) the noise from the hoodie scratching the grills on the APP was always amplified in my ears making it impossible to hear the music. With AP3 and its open design that is no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back