New AirPods 3rd Generation (2021)
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

angelom

Headphoneus Supremus
You can looking at the new specs in the Apple website or you can looking below.

I love the standard AirPods (AP) from the first day they releasing about 5 years ago. I still using my AP every day, specially for calls, podcasts and sometimes for watching a quick youtube video.

The new model (3rd generation) is having some interesting good things, with better battery life too. But for me, one aspect that is important is the size of the case because I often wearing in my jeans small front pocket. Using the virtual reality available when visiting the Apple website in my iPhone here is a comparison of the size of the AP second generation and the new 3rd generation model. The cases looking very similar in size. I'm very happy this isn't so big like the AirPods Pro case and that the earpieces don't having silicone tips either.

I'm receiving the new 3rd generation AP on Tuesday of next week.

IMG_2890.jpgIMG_2891.jpg

Audio Technology​

• Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking1
  • Adaptive EQ
  • Custom high-excursion Apple driver
  • Custom high dynamic range amplifier

Sensors​

• Dual beamforming microphones
  • Inward-facing microphone
  • Skin-detect sensor
  • Motion-detecting accelerometer
  • Speech-detecting accelerometer
  • Force sensor

Chip​

H1 headphone chip

Controls​

• Press once to play, pause, or answer a phone call
  • Press twice to skip forward
  • Press three times to skip back
  • Press and hold for Siri
  • icon_microphone__dp1b0akwqree_large.png

Say “Hey Siri” to do things like play a song, make a call, or get directions
Sweat and Water Resistant2
  • Sweat and water resistant (IPX4)

Size and Weight (Each)​

airpods_height_width__cu7zkndx4wae_large.jpg
0.72 inch (18.26 mm)
1.21 inches
(30.79 mm)
  • Height: 1.21 inches (30.79 mm)
  • Width: 0.72 inch (18.26 mm)
  • Depth: 0.76 inch (19.21 mm)
  • Weight: 0.15 ounce (4.28 grams)
case_width__dgu9wcz0t22q_large.jpg
2.14 inches (54.40 mm)
case_height_depth__cu78qoo2wl0m_large.jpg

1.83 inches
(46.40 mm)
0.84 inch (21.38 mm)
  • Height: 1.83 inches (46.40 mm)
  • Width: 2.14 inches (54.40 mm)
  • Depth: 0.84 inch (21.38 mm)
  • Weight: 1.34 ounces (37.91 grams)

Charging Case​

• Works with MagSafe charger, Qi-certified chargers, or the Lightning connector

Battery​

AirPods​

• Up to 6 hours of listening time with a single charge (up to 5 hours with spatial audio enabled)4
  • Up to 4 hours of talk time with a single charge5

AirPods with MagSafe Charging Case​

• Up to 30 hours of listening time6
  • Up to 20 hours of talk time7
5 minutes in the case provides around 1 hour of listening time8 or around 1 hour of talk time9

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 89
I receiving my AP3 one hour ago.

The difference in sound for music is very, very noticeable. The adaptive EQ of the AP3 is giving a more full, high quality sound than AP2 (and AP1). This is very more obvious in the bass response that now is more full, correct, excellent. This is making the AP3 a very good high quality pair of earphones. For me the difference in sound is very, very big, but this will vary for every person depending in the fit they're having originally in the AP. My AP in comparison are sounding very thin, almost like old small transistor radio.

The ('fixed' that I prefer) 'spatialise stereo' audio option (available only in AP3, AP Pro and AP Max, but not in AP1 or AP2) is excellent too. The sound difference from normal stereo isn't huge but is clearly audible, and this is a very good thing because the spatialise stereo isn't exaggerated or with very gimmick sound.

**Please don't ask me for comparing AP3 with APP (AirPods Pro) because I selling APP a long time ago. I returning too the APM (AirPods Max) a long time ago because I prefer my full size headphone b&o h95.

Here is 6 photos comparing the shapes and sizes of the earpieces and cases of AP2 & AP3:

Attachments

• IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 89

The difference in sound for music is very, very noticeable. The adaptive EQ of the AP3 is giving a more full, high quality sound than AP2 (and AP1). This is very more obvious in the bass response that now is more full, correct, excellent. This is making the AP3 a very good high quality pair of earphones. For me the difference in sound is very, very big, but this will vary for every person depending in the fit they're having originally in the AP. My AP in comparison are sounding very thin, almost like old small transistor radio.

The ('fixed' that I prefer) 'spatialise stereo' audio option (available only in AP3, AP Pro and AP Max, but not in AP1 or AP2) is excellent too. The sound difference from normal stereo isn't huge but is clearly audible, and this is a very good thing because the spatialise stereo isn't exaggerated or with very gimmick sound.

**Please don't ask me for comparing AP3 with APP (AirPods Pro) because I selling APP a long time ago. I returning too the APM (AirPods Max) a long time ago because I prefer my full size headphone b&o h95.

Here is 6 photos comparing the shapes and sizes of the earpieces and cases of AP2 & AP3:
My only problem with these is that they cannot be used by any means in noisy environments when for example I am walking in the city. Music misses frequencies because of the noise coming in. I think that ANC is important to enjoy music when you are out.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 89
My only problem with these is that they cannot be used by any means in noisy environments when for example I am walking in the city. Music misses frequencies because of the noise coming in. I think that ANC is important to enjoy music when you are out.

I understand what you are saying. For some people anc is very necessary and important. For me with AirPods (1, 2 or 3) is exactly the opposite. I don't want earphones with silicone tips going inside my ears and I want always hearing external noises because I use my AP2/AP3 always inside my home or inside a building/shop (bank, post office, etc.) and I want hearing my environment (telephone, door bell, a person speaking with me, announcements). This is allowing too that my ears are breathing more naturally and feel, like with AP2, very quickly that I have nothing in my ears. With my old pair of APP I never can feeling my ears are completely 'free'.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 89
I understand what you are saying. For some people anc is very necessary and important. For me with AirPods (1, 2 or 3) is exactly the opposite. I don't want earphones with silicone tips going inside my ears and I want always hearing external noises because I use my AP2/AP3 always inside my home or inside a building/shop (bank, post office, etc.) and I want hearing my environment (telephone, door bell, a person speaking with me, announcements). This is allowing too that my ears are breathing more naturally and feel, like with AP2, very quickly that I have nothing in my ears. With my old pair of APP I never can feeling my ears are completely 'free'.
Please use them little bit in a kind of noisy environment, like while walking in the street, and let me know if you feel you are missing frequencies due to noise. Because they say the AP3 are better than previous models in a way that they can somehow seal the canal a little more. It is true that there is nothing like the free ear sensation. if my music on them could be at least parallelly presented, together with moderate environmental noise, without masking, then it would be perfect.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 89
Please use them little bit in a kind of noisy environment, like while walking in the street, and let me know if you feel you are missing frequencies due to noise. Because they say the AP3 are better than previous models in a way that they can somehow seal the canal a little more. It is true that there is nothing like the free ear sensation. if my music on them could be at least parallelly presented, together with moderate environmental noise, without masking, then it would be perfect.

Ok, so I doing 3 tests for you: a) with a loud fan in position 4 (the more high setting), b) I playing cafe noise from youtube video, and c) traffic noise from a youtube video too.

In the 3 tests the AP3 is letting less external noise coming in my ears than AP2. The bass in AP3 is always audibly very/sufficiently good but obviously is less present than in quiet room. The AP2, specially in the coffee shop and street noise is sounding more/very bad and isn't enjoyable at all in any volume setting.

Is interesting too that the wind noise of the fan is more audible in the AP2, not only the noise of the fan in position 4 but the strong wind that is producing too. In AP3 you can hearing the wind noise of the fan but is clearly less and isn't affecting music reproduction really, even less when the music is little more loud.

PLEASE don't think the AP3 is a substitute for anc earphones/headphones because in this cases you must playing the music more loud for enjoyment, and this is normal, but with AP2 the more loud the volume is becoming very uncomfortable and is never sounding good in all frequencies (no bass almost and highs hurting my ears).

Obviously ideally you must trying the AP3 before spending 200€ in your particular circumstance. I buying directly from Apple and you having 2 weeks for free return. Obviously I'm not returning my AP3. Maybe in Greece this is more difficult for you (buying directly from Apple or having a trying period with guarantee of money back if you aren't happy).

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 89
I'm receiving mine today. I really hope that they don't sound fuller than the AP1 as those were already way too bassy for their own good, even the EP's bass was better controlled and sounded better from that regard.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 89
I'm receiving mine today. I really hope that they don't sound fuller than the AP1 as those were already way too bassy for their own good, even the EP's bass was better controlled and sounded better from that regard.

The AP1 and AP2 have the same sound. You are the first person I see in many years saying the AP1 (or AP2) are "way too bassy" or even only "bassy" (without "way too". The frequency response graph of the AP1 very, very clearly showing that the AP1 isn't bassy at all, is the contrary actually, and this is one reason why everybody (me too) saying the APP is sounding better than AP1 or AP2.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 89

Great first impression! Based on your distant memory, how's AP3 sound quality compared to APM? I'm sure APM is better since it's more expensive, but I wonder by how much. Just a ball park figure is OK.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 89
Great first impression! Based on your distant memory, how's AP3 sound quality compared to APM? I'm sure APM is better since it's more expensive, but I wonder by how much. Just a ball park figure is OK.

I'm probably not the correct person for asking this question because the majority of the people (in APM thread) preferring the sound of the APM than APP. The APM is very good but for me the APP is more correct or better in sound quality. The APM for me is having little excessive sub bass elevation and the mids, and part of the treble, are a little veiled. From my memory, the AP3 is more like the APP but I can't comparing both because I don't have the APP anymore.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 89
Ok, so I doing 3 tests for you: a) with a loud fan in position 4 (the more high setting), b) I playing cafe noise from youtube video, and c) traffic noise from a youtube video too.

In the 3 tests the AP3 is letting less external noise coming in my ears than AP2. The bass in AP3 is always audibly very/sufficiently good but obviously is less present than in quiet room. The AP2, specially in the coffee shop and street noise is sounding more/very bad and isn't enjoyable at all in any volume setting.

Is interesting too that the wind noise of the fan is more audible in the AP2, not only the noise of the fan in position 4 but the strong wind that is producing too. In AP3 you can hearing the wind noise of the fan but is clearly less and isn't affecting music reproduction really, even less when the music is little more loud.

PLEASE don't think the AP3 is a substitute for anc earphones/headphones because in this cases you must playing the music more loud for enjoyment, and this is normal, but with AP2 the more loud the volume is becoming very uncomfortable and is never sounding good in all frequencies (no bass almost and highs hurting my ears).

Obviously ideally you must trying the AP3 before spending 200€ in your particular circumstance. I buying directly from Apple and you having 2 weeks for free return. Obviously I'm not returning my AP3. Maybe in Greece this is more difficult for you (buying directly from Apple or having a trying period with guarantee of money back if you aren't happy).
Thanks a lot Angelom! So, they are right, it makes better seal to the canal than previous versions due to the new AP3's shape. I will definitely try them out. I don't think I can order directly from Apple here, never done so. There are only resellers, so I order from them and waiting...Thanks again for your thorough info!

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 89
I am probably wrong (because I don't have the APP for comparing and audio memory isn't very good) but I think the AP3 is sounding a little better than APP, the sound is more clean, with less 'compression sound'. Maybe is the silicone tips in the APP with little mesh, or the AP3 driver is little different... or both...or is only my imagination and not very good memory! The important thing is that sound of the AP3 is really excellent.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 89
So, does that mean the new AirPods are open like the first version? Then I would consider them for running. I hate using APP for running because they are isolating too much.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #15 of 89
So, does that mean the new AirPods are open like the first version? Then I would consider them for running. I hate using APP for running because they are isolating too much.

Yes, open like version 1 and 2, but they go a little more deep in the ear but they are definitely nothing like APP or IEMs in that aspect that I don't like very much. This is one reason I love AP1 and AP2 and now more even AP3 because of improvement in sound and other aspects (battery and playback control specially).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back