New a-Jays Four IPhone headset
Jun 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mp3

500+ Head-Fier
Just got a heads up on the new a-Jays headset.

[size=9pt]Swedish Jays has reinforced its new range of a-JAYS headphones with a-JAYS Four iPhone. This custom headset has been designed specifically for the iPhone 4 and comes equipped with a simple control with three buttons with a secure grip on one of the headphone cords.[/size]

[size=9pt]The buttons control
- Answer and termination of calls
- Volume
- Music and video playback (including pause and next / previous track)
- Recording of voice memos with compatible devices
[/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]a-JAYS Four iPhone has the superior sound of the a-JAYS Three, with a refined midrange for optimum voice transmission and is supplemented by a new, custom-built, silicon microphone. The headset features secure grip buttons and a newly developed, angled 3.5mm plug. It also has a flat, tangle-free cord and will be available in black and white.[/size]
[size=9pt][/size]

[size=9pt][/size]

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 10
Ok... So I got these a few days back. A day before the official UK/US launch I think (I'm in Norway)

Spent some time just enjoying the packaging (really neat 'cept for the lack of accessories) and the IEM's themselves, then let them burn in for about 40 hrs.

Sound is good, soundstage and such is excellent. Has got a bit of oomph (bass) when you turn it up, but it is not muddy. But I will leave the technical review to someone else.

I've been wearing these trying to wear these phones for the last 3 days, but I have found it absolutely impossible and infuriating. I've had bad phones in my time, but mostly I have only complained about SQ.

But these phones have been my worst experience, so bad in fact, that I'd rather go back to using my LG came-with-the-box earphones (I cannot begine to imagine how low these would score on any test).

So here's my complaint:

The flat cables look nice enough, but they are so wide that they tend to slip/flip over the ear once you start moving after having tucked them in behind the ear. For instance, putting on a hood is out of the question as that would move the cables. I believe this is because they are actualy so light that they (the cables) don't have the weight to hold itself down once bended and so it bends back over the ear easily (did that make sense?). This happens to me frequently when I am moving (when stationary they sit tight as long as I don|t turn my head too fast); the jacket I am wearing or the hood will graze the cables (at shoulder level) and they go flying off the ear and end up hanging and evt dragging the IEMs out (more on size a bit down).

Fitting can always a hazard with IEM's if you're unlucky, but Jays has sizs for everyone (probably). The tips come in various sizes and I found mine as soon as I opened the box. Problem is, when the damn things won't stay behind the ear it will hang straight down. And the Jays are so SMALL that they don't sit very well when there is something tugging on them (the cables!). Which brings me to another point of contention, the size.

My very first challenge with the Jays (apart from trying to fit the sillicone tips that were xtrasmall, HARD took me 15 min) was getting them in my ear. They're so small (see pic in last post) that getting a good grip on them to snugly fit them in the ear canal is a bit of a hassle, this is mainly due to the cables. For while you are struggling to insert them into the ear canal, guess what, the cable, because it is so light flips over your ear or falls out of place and you have to start over. The cables just arent heavy enough, it seems, to stay in place. Therefore it becomes a two-hand operation, one hand to keep the cable in place and one to insert the actual IEM into the ear.

AND THEN, when all else fails, you think 'alright, I'll just let them hang down, it's not as if they advertise them as behind the ear because they only work that way'. Wrong. Microphonics (due to flatness of cable?) becomes so crazy that you need to be in central tokyo or have the sound up by more than 60% to be able to ignore it (on my itouch 4gen at least).

I'm contacting the seller to see if I can get a refund or at least change them in for some other OEM (and I used to be a die hard IEM guy).

NOTE: Maybe I'm just being a turd, and I am of West-Afrikan descent so my ears are small compared to caucasian ones. But it still feels as if something isn't right here. I almost got the Phonak Audeo's last month but decided to wait it out. I wish I had gotten them instead, they must have a better grip on this 'behind the ear' thing.

But for a dynamic driver they sound descent... pfft.

Oh, and I forgot to add that they don't get along very well with my itouch4g. A small movement (reaching in and out of my pocket etc) will move the l-shaped plug and create this static sound (think: playing an lp, that 'kshshshs' sound - almost like there's water in your ear). WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?! That's why I'll get that refund.

Wheeew, what a bummer. Maybe there's a video tutorial on how to get it right somewhere! /wanders off angrily to find such a review/

- Chi

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 10
In my experiences with them (absolutely loved the SQ), I actually have to agree with what you just posted; wearing them is a nightmare in general. While I didn't get a chance to test the microphonic aspect of these earphones, I did notice how they simply refuse to sit in your ears nicely. The IEM goes too shallow and the flat cable makes it a further nightmare for the IEM to sit nicely into your ears. It took a lot of fiddling in order to just have it sit still in my ears when I was demo-ing them. I hate to see what would have happened if I was trying to use it in the public while I was on the move. I don't think they'll stay in my ears.

Having said all that, the problem with wearing these earphones came off a bit of a surprise for me. I have never gotten an earphone that's so difficult to wear. From my personal experience, my ears are very IEM-friendly... so, I'd hate to see some with a not-so IEM friendly pair of ears trying to wear these.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 10
Exactly, it's anightmare. Personally I have never had a problem with IEM's myself.

But so many problems converge on these IEM's that it's a travesty. Poor fit/weird cable combo, the weird static sound that I get on my it4 and the fact that just moving around with them is hard. All I have to do is put on a hood or, while they are on, just turn my head up (to look at the sky or something poetic) and they start twitching like mad and tumble off.

Aggh.

They are getting an e-mail from me.

Who wants to recommend a 'cheap' IEM that does alright in terms of SQ but WONDERFUL in terms of fit? (please, not skullcandy).

Cheers,

- Chi

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
So you think if you get another pair of foam tips, it will solve the problem of comfort and not staying in?

Say these, http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Tx-200/

Yes problems will be reduced by a lot since foam force them to stay still. I done that with most of my iems since i have fitting problems generally. I dont think you should buy them only to use them with foam tips though. First they cost a lot and second u will be limited with them. Especially the ones you linked affect the sound a lot.
If you really want to try them though and you live in Europe you can find them on amazon and ebay for 24 gbp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back