New 24/192 dac from china-nice!
May 2, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #1,201 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
it's difficult because i'm sure you don't want to read through the long tenuous zhaolu threads, but for us who have been following these for a long time, this question has really has been answered endless times. try searching in the threads. it's a unique circuit the zhaolu is using. if you search opa627 or 627 or dual or something like that hopefully you'll find a good description. i'm afraid i've forgotten most of the details

I would not be posting if previous posts had answered my questions. All you can get from the other posts is this:

A) Browndogged 627s work (fully populated).
B) Dropping a 627 into a slot won't work (I remember people putting it in the middle slot, not the sides).

No one has said anything like this: "I took a browndog adaptor, populated IC1 with a 627 and left IC2 empty. It did not work." That is my question.

May 2, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #1,202 of 1,341
bah, Zhalou 2.0 with the headphone amp upgrade aint coming until June!!!!

I dont think I can wait....

May 2, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #1,203 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
bah, Zhalou 2.0 with the headphone amp upgrade aint coming until June!!!!

I dont think I can wait....

biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #1,205 of 1,341
Right now Im in need for a good DAC. Ive looked and read about both the Zhaolu and Dieden Great March. Even though there are price difference, are we looking at significant sound difference too? Eddie offers them both and right now the upgraded version of Great March looks fine. What are the impressions on the new 2.0? Are all the upgrades available except the headphone upgrade? Has the 2.0 improved over the 1.3? Because I've been waiting to try Zhaolu DAC for quite some time now but I have a M3 to power my K701. Since the 1.3 versions are nowhere to be found, are the new 2.0 w/ upgrades upto par with the fully upgraded 1.3 (excluding the amp upgrade)? Should I just wait until the fully 2.0 comes out in a month or two?

May 3, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #1,207 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
Right now Im in need for a good DAC. Ive looked and read about both the Zhaolu and Dieden Great March. Even though there are price difference, are we looking at significant sound difference too? Eddie offers them both and right now the upgraded version of Great March looks fine. What are the impressions on the new 2.0? Are all the upgrades available except the headphone upgrade? Has the 2.0 improved over the 1.3? Because I've been waiting to try Zhaolu DAC for quite some time now but I have a M3 to power my K701. Since the 1.3 versions are nowhere to be found, are the new 2.0 w/ upgrades upto par with the fully upgraded 1.3 (excluding the amp upgrade)? Should I just wait until the fully 2.0 comes out in a month or two?

You can find the Zhaolu 1.3 here:

http://www.buyoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...AGE=1&curr=USD

May 3, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #1,208 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by salmon
Does Zhalou upsample to 24bit or just oversample?

D1.3 oversamples. I believe 2.x is also. Now for upsampling that would require another chip and I havn't seen that mentioned so I would assume no.

May 5, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #1,209 of 1,341
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but apparently Eddie will also offer mods for the unit. Here is the email I received:

Upgrade headphone amp $38.83US ( running with higher current with mosfect like an proper amp.)will be available at the end of this month.
The D-2.0 with ad-1852 cost $109US which is quite good over all and D-2.0 with CS-4398 cost $162.33US is warmer and thick at vocal better performance .Basic free upgrate (2pc Lt-1057 and du-2000 cernamic ) as promotion.
The Mod one will be $55US extra .
I replace 2pc at power supply ,Elna bi-polar caps at saound stage and os-con at D to A part .
Shipping cost will be $56US by EMS.
I will able to ship by 19th with double boxed for the box is making now.

May 5, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #1,212 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
The D-2.0 with ad-1852 cost $109US which is quite good over all and D-2.0 with CS-4398 cost $162.33US is warmer and thick at vocal better performance .

I think this is relatively speaking. I wouldn't consider CS4398 warm at all. Only thing is 1852 in the D1.3 wasn't really cold either. So either both are a little cold or both warm. Sorry if this is confusing. I'm talking out loud.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #1,213 of 1,341
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I think this is relatively speaking. I wouldn't consider CS4398 warm at all. Only thing is 1852 in the D1.3 wasn't really cold either. So either both are a little cold or both warm. Sorry if this is confusing. I'm talking out loud.
biggrin.gif

also.. changing the left and right opamps affect the sound a lot, so you can tune the character of the dac's to your liking very easily.

May 6, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #1,214 of 1,341
oh yeah, i swapped out the stock rca's to WBT Nexgens and silver wiring a couple days ago on my modded 1.3. burning it in now, but so far so good
biggrin.gif
i only listened to it with around 5 hours on burn, but already its sounding really nice. a little bright since its new, but in no way harsh.. i'm seeing more depth and air - nice carvenous soundstage. gone is the itchyness and glare that i thought was in the recordings, smooth and natural now - very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
. can't wait til it hits the 150 hour mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back