NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #2,870 of 2,884
I picked up one of the four used units I saw available directly on HiFiMAN’s website recently, for the ridiculously low price of $119, and at this price, I’m not complaining! Definitely a little cosmetic damage but everything looks relatively good to me and they sound pretty great for $119.

I definitely noticed they roll off earlier in the sub bass region than my Audeze EL-8 open and my Focal Elegia. They are surprisingly driven decently off of the headphone out of a 2016 iPhone SE, particularly on Apple Music, where they are really loud one click below max volume, louder than Spotify on same track on the same phone at max volume.

I’m pleased for the price!
E9B6718B-DDA6-4DC1-8171-75446D172A9C.jpeg71CB5C71-12F1-4AB5-8B7E-0C07925C7244.jpeg

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,871 of 2,884
I picked up one of the four used units I saw available directly on HiFiMAN’s website recently, for the ridiculously low price of $119, and at this price, I’m not complaining! Definitely a little cosmetic damage but everything looks relatively good to me and they sound pretty great for $119.

I definitely noticed they roll off earlier in the sub bass region than my Audeze EL-8 open and my Focal Elegia. They are surprisingly driven decently off of the headphone out of a 2016 iPhone SE, particularly on Apple Music, where they are really loud one click below max volume, louder than Spotify on same track on the same phone at max volume.

E9B6718B-DDA6-4DC1-8171-75446D172A9C.jpeg71CB5C71-12F1-4AB5-8B7E-0C07925C7244.jpeg
That's a great price! Upgrading the cable will reduce the rollof and improve the sq significantly. I use Eidolic 4 braid occ and it sounds amazing with just ifi iDSD

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2,872 of 2,884

If you want better bass extension, consider buying a pair of the Focus pads. They made a lot of difference there!

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,873 of 2,884
If you want better bass extension, consider buying a pair of the Focus pads. They made a lot of difference there!

I'm not sure, but I may already have the Focus pads, as these I don't believe are the full velour just from the looks of it -- these are a used set so I'm guessing HiFiMAN didn't bother to necessarily make sure everything was "stock" perhaps?

IMG_1401.jpegIMG_1398.jpeg

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #2,874 of 2,884
I'm not sure, but I may already have the Focus pads, as these I don't believe are the full velour just from the looks of it -- these are a used set so I'm guessing HiFiMAN didn't bother to necessarily make sure everything was "stock" perhaps?

Yes, those are indeed the focus pads.

In that case, the bass response is already a lot better. It won't extend super low, but I found the overall presentation agreeable and musical

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,875 of 2,884
Yes, those are indeed the focus pads.

In that case, the bass response is already a lot better. It won't extend super low, but I found the overall presentation agreeable and musical

Yeah, it's not *bothering me* per se that it rolls off early down low, particularly since I had expected it, just that I noted that this common "complaint" is definitely merited. I found the sound signature very pleasing overall, so I'm not disappointed at all by any means. :)

If I want MOAR BASS, I'll pull out the Brainwavz Alara or even the EL-8. :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #2,876 of 2,884
Yeah, it's not *bothering me* per se that it rolls off early down low, particularly since I had expected it, just that I noted that this common "complaint" is definitely merited. I found the sound signature very pleasing overall, so I'm not disappointed at all by any means. :)

If I want MOAR BASS, I'll pull out the Brainwavz Alara or even the EL-8. :)
For a touch more bass put attenuation rings into the pads
Attenuation Rings.jpg
made from card stock or if you have hanging file holders that will work also. You will need to play with the size and placement to see what you like. You can find a bit more info on the TH-X00 thread, its where the idea came from IIRC

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #2,877 of 2,884
For a touch more bass put attenuation rings into the pads
Attenuation Rings.jpg
made from card stock or if you have hanging file holders that will work also. You will need to play with the size and placement to see what you like. You can find a bit more info on the TH-X00 thread, its where the idea came from IIRC
Thanks, nifty idea! :)

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #2,878 of 2,884
Just like this thread.... I had sort of forgotten and packed away my 400S. But I got some of the Brainwavz ear pads (ROUND XL EARPADS - MICRO SUEDE)
and now I listen to these phones all the time. They are currently on sale now for about twenty bucks and for me, these pads breathed new life into the 400S.

The bass is so much better, without screwing up the midrange. Honestly, I like the midrange better now. Just figured I'd share.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #2,879 of 2,884
I've bought these again recently. I only had fond, if hazy memory of the first pair I had.
Definitely glad I bought them again. These are a steal for around 200 (found a lucky open box for 150). The comfort is amazing (my favorite headphone design to date), sound is very balanced (replaced the stock pads with the ZMF Ori pads which fixes the bass roll off and further evens out the midrange a little bit) and replaced the cable with a better one. These are definitely staying. Technicality is good enough, great imaging and nice soundstage, with their great timbre and Supreme comfort, these will hopefully serve me well for some time. I prefer their tuning to pretty much any other Hifiman, including the Sundara (which is very uncomfortable to me). A little bit more presence in the lower midrange, a bit more dynamic slam and a bit more energy in places would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker by any means

Attachments

• 20220921_200638_HDR.jpg
    20220921_200638_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,880 of 2,884
I've bought these again recently. I only had fond, if hazy memory of the first pair I had.
Definitely glad I bought them again. These are a steal for around 200 (found a lucky open box for 150). The comfort is amazing (my favorite headphone design to date), sound is very balanced (replaced the stock pads with the ZMF Ori pads which fixes the bass roll off and further evens out the midrange a little bit) and replaced the cable with a better one. These are definitely staying. Technicality is good enough, great imaging and nice soundstage, with their great timbre and Supreme comfort, these will hopefully serve me well for some time. I prefer their tuning to pretty much any other Hifiman, including the Sundara (which is very uncomfortable to me). A little bit more presence in the lower midrange, a bit more dynamic slam and a bit more energy in places would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker by any means
I remember Tyll giving the 400s an endearing review, this just makes me wanna try one! For the price, seem to be a great bargain!

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back