NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Apr 15, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,341 of 2,884
Just got the 400s today.

For those of you with amps (which I expect is most of you), what gain settings are you using? 

High or low?

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,342 of 2,884
  Just got the 400s today.

For those of you with amps (which I expect is most of you), what gain settings are you using? 

High or low?

Use the gain that sounds best to you, start with low and if the volume is insufficient or the sound is lacking then try the high.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2,343 of 2,884
3 left in stock, use coupon code YELLOW15

254.15 ac / fs @  http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_98739_HIFIMAN-HE400S.html?coupon-code=YELLOW15

You'll see coupon entry in 'cart'.

I just ordered some after my order at amazon got messed up.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #2,345 of 2,884
  3 left in stock, use coupon code YELLOW15

254.15 ac / fs @  http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_98739_HIFIMAN-HE400S.html?coupon-code=YELLOW15

You'll see coupon entry in 'cart'.

I just ordered some after my order at amazon got messed up.

Wow this is a really good deal, isn't it? I havn't see them drop this low yet.

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #2,348 of 2,884

LOL! I saw Dylan's post and put those HIFI's in my cart... but then I started waffling and looking at the Audio Technica's and Fostex's... got back and the HIFI was gone... and then saw your post... glad you got the last one... great price!

So I'm now ordering the

Fostex TH500RP.... sale price $329 minus the coupon for $279... either one is a nice upgrade from my current cans....

also for those interested... over at B+H, they have the Fostex T50RP-mk3 for $139 plus a $50 mail in rebate... net $89 for them!

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,353 of 2,884
  HELP PLEASE

I received 400s just now and i noticed the cable is TOO SHORT and there's not a replacement into the boxe.
This is normal ?
Only 1.5m, unusable ......

As far as I'm aware most "audiophile" level headphone cables are intentionally short because owners don't want them getting tangled and being in the way - excess cable is always worse than lack of length due to the fact that, as said, you can just get an extension cord to achieve the desired effect. If it is stated there's only one cord coming with the headphones and that it is detachable I instantly assume it's less than 3 meters long unless otherwise specified, even more so seeing as the 400S are meant to be transportable (I wouldn't wanna walk around with an open pair of planars on my head but point still stands). 1.5 is plenty for me, anywhere between that and 2m is perfect for how I use headphones.

It does also state very clearly on the Hifiman website 400S page that the cable is 1.5m long as can be seen under specifications, if length is such a deal breaker to you to the point of it becoming unusable then it could've been avoided by being a bit more thorough.

Please take no offence to what I'm saying or as some snide "your own fault" thing, I just figure it's nice to be more informed for potential future purchases. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,354 of 2,884

As far as I'm aware most "audiophile" level headphone cables are intentionally short because owners don't want them getting tangled and being in the way - excess cable is always worse than lack of length due to the fact that, as said, you can just get an extension cord to achieve the desired effect. If it is stated there's only one cord coming with the headphones and that it is detachable I instantly assume it's less than 2 meters long unless otherwise specified, even more so seeing as the 400S are meant to be transportable (I wouldn't wanna walk around with an open pair of planars on my head but point still stands). 1.5 is plenty for me, anywhere between that and 2m is perfect for how I use headphones.

It does also state very clearly on the Hifiman website 400S page that the cable is 1.5m long as can be seen under specifications, if length is such a deal breaker to you to the point of it becoming unusable then it could've been avoided by being a bit more thorough.

Please take no offence to what I'm saying or as some snide "your own fault" thing, I just figure it's nice to be more informed for potential future purchases. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree with "audiophile" cables being intentionally short, I think its just the opposite, all my mid level and better headphones have long cables, 2.5-3m seems to be the norm.  For me I prefer 3m cables for my listening area, I have a table with my amps and DACs and a reclining sofa which requires a minimum 2.5m cable to reach.

Agree that buyer should have known about cable length, but don't like using extensions, can cause weight issues at the connection and could add impedance/resistance since most connections tend to add resistance.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,355 of 2,884
  I disagree with "audiophile" cables being intentionally short, I think its just the opposite, all my mid level and better headphones have long cables, 2.5-3m seems to be the norm.  For me I prefer 3m cables for my listening area, I have a table with my amps and DACs and a reclining sofa which requires a minimum 2.5m cable to reach.

Agree that buyer should have known about cable length, but don't like using extensions, can cause weight issues at the connection and could add impedance/resistance since most connections tend to add resistance.

My fault, thank you for pointing it out, said shorter than 2m when I meant to say 3, it has been corrected - that still qualifies as fairly short in my opinion compared to the cables some people use in living room areas etc (I listen to headphones at my home/work desk exclusively, beosystem in the living area hence my cable preferences).

You're right about the extensions though that's a good point, I'm admittedly not very knowledgeable when it comes to cables and connectors it just seemed like a relatively easy temporary solution if he really can't use the headphones, if I were to want/need longer ones myself I'd just have them custom made by Forza AW, Norne or any other well known skilled cable makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back