NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Oct 3, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #1,621 of 2,884
Interesting. Would anyone categorize the 400s as having sort of a Grado sound? Or would that be more true of the he500?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

not like the grados at all. much smoother presentation. not treble-focused either. has a bit of that planar bass quality, though actually a bit dynamic ish with a more midbass focused bass region

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,622 of 2,884
I bought both Focuspad and Focuspad-A. It's Focuspad-A for me. Wow is all I can say. Deeper bass while keeping the mid and top end bite.

Focuspad killed the mid and top end bite. I couldn't hear the drum kit attacks. I like them to assault my ears like in a live gig.

Both pads definitely deepened the bass. It is noticeable. So no doubt you'll get more bass for either.

They differ in how they treat the mid and top end bite.

These are initial impressions. I am still excited so of course everything sounds great to me now. I'll let this boil over and listen when I am no longer excited. 
Then I can evaluate what the pads really do everywhere else.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,624 of 2,884
  I bought both Focuspad and Focuspad-A. It's Focuspad-A for me. Wow is all I can say. Deeper bass while keeping the mid and top end bite.

Focuspad killed the mid and top end bite. I couldn't hear the drum kit attacks. I like them to assault my ears like in a live gig.

Both pads definitely deepened the bass. It is noticeable. So no doubt you'll get more bass for either.

They differ in how they treat the mid and top end bite.

These are initial impressions. I am still excited so of course everything sounds great to me now. I'll let this boil over and listen when I am no longer excited. 
Then I can evaluate what the pads really do everywhere else.

Did you change only the pads? The recommendation I read was the change the pads and grills. The pads deepen the bass, but then the grills open the soundstage and highs.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,626 of 2,884
The grill mod certainly opens up the sound. You could also buy a pair from me :D

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #1,627 of 2,884
OK, I caved in. I removed the grills. It was easy using mobile phone plastic pry tool. The rings were plastic so my fear of scratching metal was unfounded. Thanks
to the grill mod guide telling me where the ring tabs were certainly made the removal safe.

The sound...oh the sound. Everything opened up. Top to bottom. More details. More accurate definition. Bass is now more defined much more complete.

I should really keep this open. But I still want to find an acoustically transparent grill. I feel insecure without one.

Grill mod plus Focuspad-A for me. Those who have the HE-400S, don't be stubborn like me. Do the two mods from day one.

Buy both pads and choose what you like. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,628 of 2,884
  OK, I caved in. I removed the grills. It was easy using mobile phone plastic pry tool. The rings were plastic so my fear of scratching metal was unfounded. Thanks
to the grill mod guide telling me where the ring tabs were certainly made the removal safe.

The sound...oh the sound. Everything opened up. Top to bottom. More details. More accurate definition. Bass is now more defined much more complete.

I should really keep this open. But I still want to find an acoustically transparent grill. I feel insecure without one.

Grill mod plus Focuspad-A for me. Those who have the HE-400S, don't be stubborn like me. Do the two mods from day one.

Buy both pads and choose what you like. 

Yay!!!

Try this thread for suggestions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,629 of 2,884
I also have been experimenting back and forth between the Focuspad and the stock pads for a few months - and wholeheartedly agree with you that the Focuspad just kills the midrange.  I found the sound to be thin, and a real step back in what i think is one of the best aspects of the HE-400S: the great presence and detail on vocals, guitar, piano (the Focuspad even seemed to decrease the "flow" of the music to me).  For my taste, defiantly not worth whatever extra low end HZs may be extracted with Focuspad.  That's unfortunate because the Focuspad is slightly more comfortable on my head and does look nicer (less of a lint trap).  I thought i had my rig all settled (with some great Surfcables running balanced to Ponoplayer) - but now you've got me wondering about the Focuspad-A and potential grill mod!  

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,630 of 2,884
Don't wonder. I am sure about the Focuspad-A's ability to push the mid/ upper treble attack/snap/bite that the stock pads lack. There is also no doubt that removing the grill improves detail from top to bottom. I'd keep these cans open without anything but i do not trust my movements. I might poke those delicate cables. So I've decided to add a grill mod.

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,631 of 2,884
Today I have been using the HE-400s through my Yggdrasil/ MJ2 ( Telefunken TK's) and the result is sublime. I have been jamming out to Dave Brubeck and Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus , wow these guys sound bloody great. These cans offer a lot of value for the money. These cans are definitely more natural sounding than the HE-400i. Furthermore the HE-400s tad more comfortable and the pads breathe more, so I can listen longer with out my ears getting hot. I hope everyone has good time jamming out.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,632 of 2,884
That is fantastic. Your experience certainly convinces me about the differences in sound preference. I also intend to use mine on tube gear. I have an APPJ hybrid speaker amp and a Sun Audio 2a3 clone speaker amp. APPJ sells a headphone adapter for the APPJ tube amp. On paper it says it can work on 2a3 set amps.  

As for jamming, well I am up at this hour when i am supposed to be asleep LOL. Keep us posted with your HE-400S adventures.

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,633 of 2,884
Here are reference pics.The black ring is plastic. It has 4 tabs. This is our main concern when removing the ring. I used a plastic mobile phone removal tool. They are found everywhere on Ebay or perhaps in your locality. Just insert the tool under the ring and pry off carefully. I actually used two of these tools. One pries from the inside, a second one pries from the outside so as not to break the ring tabs. This is overkill but I hate breaking things. So pry on inside, when you get a gap on the outside, pry ring away from the silver housing near the tab location. this way you move them away from the silver slots.

P.S. my fingers in the photos don't look like my actual fingers. Thank you camera lens distortion. I can assure you they are magnificent LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back