NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #543 of 2,884
IMO the HE-400S and HE-400i are amazing headphones that sound similar but the HE-400i IMHO is clearly the winner. Sure the HE-400S has better soundstage and more of a V shaped frequency that's lively, but the HE-400i still wins in the quality. Think LCD-2 and LCD-3. The HE-400i has better quality of sound over quantity. I think everyone is putting too much hype around the new HE-400S. Hifiman is not stupid to make a better headphone that costs $200 less. I mean it is a matter of personal preference over more V shaped and neutral but when it comes down to quality HE-400i will always win. Please don't post inaccurate things to make HE-400i owners downgrade to the HE-400s.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #544 of 2,884
Upon further inspection my pair of 400s are indeed messed up. They drilled a new hole in the right ear cup because the screw did not line up with the prefabricated hole. I'm almost positive this has to do with the weird buzzing or loud vibrating noise I hear. It is on the right cup indicated by the R cable, bottom screw. Look at these pictures. I'm in just in utter shock that Hifiman would do something like this. I know they will make this right but I sharing my experience. I wonder how common this is? I covered my serial numbers up for some reason that's why there is white blocks of paper over them. There is the left side that is perfect and then the right side picture where you get a close up of the hole. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #546 of 2,884
  Upon further inspection my pair of 400s are indeed messed up. They drilled a new hole in the right ear cup because the screw did not line up with the prefabricated hole. I'm almost positive this has to do with the weird buzzing or loud vibrating noise I hear. It is on the right cup indicated by the R cable, bottom screw. Look at these pictures. I'm in just in utter shock that Hifiman would do something like this. I know they will make this right but I sharing my experience. I wonder how common this is? I covered my serial numbers up for some reason that's why there is white blocks of paper over them. There is the left side that is perfect and then the right side picture where you get a close up of the hole. 

Both sides of my 300 are like that. I think I've seen pictures of other hifiman headphones that have a hole like that. I thought it was standard. Maybe they make that mistake a lot 
blink.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #550 of 2,884
Just got mine. Almost immediately I felt compelled to do a physical comparison...

Which is the $300 headphone and which goes for 10 times more?

Wow. They look the same, therefore they sound the same?

wink_face.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #551 of 2,884
IMO the HE-400S and HE-400i are amazing headphones that sound similar but the HE-400i IMHO is clearly the winner. Sure the HE-400S has better soundstage and more of a V shaped frequency that's lively, but the HE-400i still wins in the quality. Think LCD-2 and LCD-3. The HE-400i has better quality of sound over quantity. I think everyone is putting too much hype around the new HE-400S. Hifiman is not stupid to make a better headphone that costs $200 less. I mean it is a matter of personal preference over more V shaped and neutral but when it comes down to quality HE-400i will always win. Please don't post inaccurate things to make HE-400i owners downgrade to the HE-400s.

Well, you say don't post inaccurate things but you also say HE400S has a v-shaped frequency, which it doesn't. Contradicting yourself, aren't you? Have you even heard the HE400S? 

Ps: I'm not saying it's better or worse than HE400i, that's up to everyone's own preferences.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #552 of 2,884

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Both sides of my 300 are like that. I think I've seen pictures of other hifiman headphones that have a hole like that. I thought it was standard. Maybe they make that mistake a lot :blink:

I wonder if all 400S are like that :mad:
If it make a buzz this is not normal at all, that looks like a QC issue :mad:.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #553 of 2,884
Buzzing is most likely caused by a hair or other fiber glued to the diaphragm, which is a well known QC issue for Hifiman.

Interesting thing about that extra hole is that it matches the correction location of the bottom hole on the left side. Almost as if they only manufacture the left side pieces, then drill an extra hole to make the right side. Instead of producing mirror image left and right pieces. Wouldnt be surprised if everyones right side looks like that.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #554 of 2,884
Can anyone who owns all three cans compare the HE-400S, X2 and HD650 from a pure comfort standpoint? Per the early impressions, it sounds like the 400S are relatively comfortable cans, but I'm trying to get some points of reference to determine where exactly on the comfort scale they fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back