Never realized Glenn Gould hummed so much
Mar 24, 2006 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

raduray

100+ Head-Fier
Just received the Sennheiser 595's I got off eBay and am testing in on my favorite piece of music: Glenn Gould's rendition of the Goldberg Variations. I new that he hummed during this recording, but the clarity of these phones really makes me realize for the first time how much. I'm hearing detail I haven't heard before. These phones sound great and are very comfortable.

Source is my desktop playing 128-bit WMA source though my Creative 5.1 soundcard to a 30+ year old Maranz 1060 amplifier using the headphone jack.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by raduray
Just received the Sennheiser 595's I got off eBay and am testing in on my favorite piece of music: Glenn Gould's rendition of the Goldberg Variations. I new that he hummed during this recording, but the clarity of these phones really makes me realize for the first time how much. I'm hearing detail I haven't heard before. These phones sound great and are very comfortable.

Source is my desktop playing 128-bit WMA source though my Creative 5.1 soundcard to a 30+ year old Maranz 1060 amplifier using the headphone jack.

Congratulations on the new phones - I noticed the same thing when I heard him on LP - I thought someone outside my door was moaning. It was kind of creepy!

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Heh...it can be a bit annoying, especially through Etymotics.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had the 1981 version since it came out (can you say vinyl?). Subsequently got the CD and also ripped it onto my PC. I listen to it about once per week. I know it so well now that I just hum along with Glenn. I've also listened to the '55 version, but while a virtuous performance, it is just to fast for me. I prefer the more deliberare and lyrical '81 version.

Since my original posting, I've explored a few more of my favorites to get a better impression of the 595's. Listened to Cream's Crossroads and listening to Jack Bruce's bass lines makes me wonder about those who claim the the 595 is deficient at the low end. The bass sings. It is tight and distinct.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I saw Gould in a late lecture/performance where his eccentrities were in full bloom. He wore gloves and sat on a wicker chair. You can imagine the noise that wicker made as he played. It was louder in the hall than his humming. I don't believe that he ever recorded with a wicker chair.

He was discussing his fondness for Richard Strauss and gave, of course, an excellent performance of his demonstration pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back