Never owned an ipod, thinking of getting an iphone?
Mar 10, 2009 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mors

100+ Head-Fier
I've never owned an ipod, and my mobile contract is about to be up so I'm thinking of killing two birds with one stone.

I'm wondering though, how do you think the iPhone 3G compares to other flash based players like the Touch 2G and say the D2 etc?

Is the battery life ok if I would 'mainly' use it for texting and as a DAP?
Maybe the odd few calls and internet/email use.

Also, how does it pair with the IE8? I'm guessing with it being an ipod I would have the LOD option for the first time on my DAPs.

Lastly - I love the material that my Zune30 is coated in, I don't suppose you know if you can get a skin like it for the iPhone?

Thanks for any advice

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 21
you can get hundreds of skins available for the iphone, you'd literally be inundated with different styles to choose from.

battery life... make sure wifi is off, it sucks on your juice. and stuff like gps and maybe sticking it in airplane mode (hate that spelling), to make it last a marathon.

if you don't keep much music on your ipod, i'd say go for lossless music, you really can't go wrong with apple's lossless codec in terms of quality (plus it's the only lossless codec available (without jailbreaking) for the ipod/iphone.

don't know what internet explorer 8 has to do with this

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never owned an ipod, and my mobile contract is about to be up so I'm thinking of killing two birds with one stone.

I'm wondering though, how do you think the iPhone 3G compares to other flash based players like the Touch 2G and say the D2 etc?

Is the battery life ok if I would 'mainly' use it for texting and as a DAP?
Maybe the odd few calls and internet/email use.

Also, how does it pair with the IE8? I'm guessing with it being an ipod I would have the LOD option for the first time on my DAPs.

Lastly - I love the material that my Zune30 is coated in, I don't suppose you know if you can get a skin like it for the iPhone?
If storage is a priority then the iPhone is a big no-no with a mediocre 32gb of memory...

Thanks for any advice

If storage is a priority then the iPhone is a big no-no with a mediocre 32gb of memory...

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iPhone with 32GB memory out?!
eek.gif
Where did you get that from? ¬_¬

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Only 16gb at the moment. Probably 32gb in June. You can stream your music to the iphone using Simplify. Download the program on the pc side and and app on the iPhone. Works ok with lossless files when I have a good 3g signal. Sometimes the quality seems off. Still nice having access to your complete home library.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 21
Alot of other phones dont have 32GB anyway. But yes they can be expanded, iPhones cant. Make sure you understand what your missing out on the iPhone which is quiet substantial hardware wise. (Below average camera (2mp), require radio extensions, no MMS, no bluetooth "file" sharing, No Turn-By-Turn GPS and weak. No Expansion slots)

Cowon D2 will be much better as a musical device to power headphones etc.. Although i dont have issues with the sound coming out of my iPhone for my Ultrasone Pro 750 and TF10... Any IEMs or Buds would be fine or low impedance high sensativity headphones.

I still dont use my iPhone substantially as a musical device, I want the phone to last :p and the battery is not easily user replacable.

Battery life are fairly average for even 3G calls which can still suck alot of juice similar to Wi-Fi.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way I'm getting rid of my I-phone is when they offer an improved one.

Improvements probably not on features that other phones take for granted :p just hardware. Hopefully it will use the nvidia Tegra platform!

Still wont have the radio built in, fully featured bluetooth with file transfer, Copy and Paste, Dual Camera for 3G Video calls (ok maybe that one will be included, cant see how that would reduce itunes revenue)

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't know what internet explorer 8 has to do with this

I hope u just joking LOL. What he meant is Sennheiser IE8, not I.Explorer 8 lol

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 21
I personally own an iPhone. It's great for both phone, music, games and internet. Though if you use an amp, it might/probably will pick up data signals, which can get annoying but its cool. Jailbreaking it adds even more fun.... I primarily use it for the phone, internet and gaming use.

If you plan to put a lot of music on this, its probably not for you. But for everything else, its great.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 21
Thanks for all the replies people much appreciated
biggrin.gif

Regards to battery life - I would most of the time leave wireless off but 3G would be left on.

Regards to storage - I'm one of the few people that this isn't a massive priority for. I'm not a big believer of lossless on my DAP's as I can very rarely hear the difference between 320kbs MP3's and FLAC so I just don't bother. A 16GB iphone would be more than enough for me and MP3's I think/hope.

Camera/FM radio - Not really bothered about.

MMS missing - That's a bit of a bummer but I only send about 3 of them a year anyway lol

Does anyone own one of these and a D2 or a Touch 2G that it compares against?

I need to hunt down a 'Zune skin' jacket for it if I buy one!
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 21
Aslong as you dont do alot of calls the 3G only lasts about 5 hours.
For music is good sounds pretty decent very clear and great battery life.

Yes you wont able to send MMS at all. :p

Video playback would require convertion which is still needed for the Cowon D2 because of resolution support.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 21
As a DAP, it's very good. Not excellent. I find the interface is very easy to use, and I personally like iTunes on the Mac. The SQ is very good, but not excellent. I use a Tomahawk and while you get the occasional noise from the 3G, it sounds great.

However, as a convergence device, it's the best I've used. I had Windows Mobile phones and to be honest, while the HTC stuff may have more features, using them was a pain in the ass. I use my video out on my iPhone to TV to watch the occasional show, stream radio over 3G, play games, check the net, check my mail, make calls, GPS..in other words, I use it a lot. Your mileage may vary, but if you are looking for one device that does everything very well and easy, this is it.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 21
I use the wi-fi ,bluetooth,3g and listen to music occasionally look up something on the web and check my e-mail at least once and can get an 8 hour day out of the battery
but it is in the red at the eighth hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back