Never Look a Gift Amp in the Jack....
Oct 9, 2002 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31
....Especially when it's a tricked out, JMT-built portable META42, inside of which includes the following:
  1. AD8620 op-amp
  2. Elna Cerafine 470
  3. WIMA 6.8µF/50v reservoir box caps
  4. Biased to Class A
  5. Alps Blue Beauty potentiometer
  6. Dual-stacked Elantec 2001CN output buffers
  7. Belden silver-coated 22g wire
I haven't listened to it yet, because I'm not sure which jack is the input, and which is the headphone output, but I PM'd JMT to ask him which is which, so I should know real quick.

JMT, thank you very much for this very unexpected, very generous gift. Unbelievably, JMT also made a META42 gift amp for Neil, my brother and Head-Fi's engineer.

JMT has made me, Jack, and Neil a herd of amps over the last year-and-a-half, and this is my second gift amp from him (the first being an Altoids amp that I keep at the office for use by me and some of my other officemates).

I can't wait to hear this one, and I'll post some impressions here on Head-Fi as soon as I get a chance.

A quote from the letter that accompanied the amps:
Quote:

I thought it rather odd that the administrator of Head-Fi was not keeping up with the latest and greatest portable amp that was sweeping the boards....

cool.gif

Thanks so much for catching me up, man.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 31
Wow, I have to hand it to JMT. He truly is an awesome guy(Thanks again for your extremely generous offer). It's guys like him that make head-fi the place it is.

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 31
Jon's a class act for sure.

Jude, my amp has 1/8's for input and output, both on the front panel, left to right, in & out. (Vol, in, out, LED, power sw)

Enjoy the amp !

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 31
Jude, congrats -- I have a META from Kurt that I've been enjoying this week as I've been laid up in bed with a nasty back injury; I think you'll really like that META
biggrin.gif

JMT, you da man!
notworthy.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 31
I am terribly sorry about your back injury MacDEF. Please do your self a favor, and get out of bed, and do some backstretches my friend. There is plenty of information on the Internet to show you good techniques. Do them slowly, and smoothly. Hope you get better. Good luck!

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 31
Congrats Jude! JMT truly is an amazing guy. If the world was full of people like him it would be a much better place to be.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 31
Jude, Neil, congrats on the amps dudes! Looking forward to reading the reviews!
Cheers!

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 31
i bet if you opened it up you could tell which jack was which. i haven't opened mine for a while (yay for plainview 9v batteries!), but i recall the pcb being marked rather clearly as to what was in and what was out.

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 31
Yeah, that'll work too. iirc(I'm not home), the output is around the center of the board, while the input is closer to the edge, you can also look at the trails going from the pot to the input to give you some hints.

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 31
That seems like it ought to be a gem of an amp, Jude! Tell us about it, please!!

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 31
Eric
I'm sure JMT was already quite secure in his title.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jude
I think I speak for everyone when I say I look forward to hearing your opinions of the amp. Sounds like it's basically the level A version. Was it PSU powered or battery? (or both?) My bet is that your previos JMT gift is about to enjoy an early retirement.

MacDEF
I'm telling you: any position not in the 52-card perv desk is bound to lead to serious injury. Stick to the basics, man.

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

MacDEF I'm telling you: any position not in the 52-card perv desk is bound to lead to serious injury. Stick to the basics, man.

wow, and you thought that Head-Fi was a place to get advice about headphones!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back