Neutral sounding amp <$600 USD for DT880 600 OHM
Jan 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tangential

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a neutral sounding amp for some music tracking and mixing.  I am aware of the issues with using headphones for this purpose, but sadly, I live in an apartment with thin walls and really don't have the luxury of using studio monitors right now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think something primarily solid-state would be best as I'm not sure the warmth that tubes would necessarily be something I'd want for my purposes.  That said, I'm definitely open to tube options if anyone thinks that's the best route to go.   

I'll probably be connecting the amp to an RME Babyface.  Thanks!

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I'm looking for a neutral sounding amp for some music tracking and mixing.  I am aware of the issues with using headphones for this purpose, but sadly, I live in an apartment with thin walls and really don't have the luxury of using studio monitors right now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think something primarily solid-state would be best as I'm not sure the warmth that tubes would necessarily be something I'd want for my purposes.  That said, I'm definitely open to tube options if anyone thinks that's the best route to go.   

O2 , Lake People G103S/G109S . Should be On your budget . 

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 9
You'd probably be surprised at how little difference in sound there is between the "warmest and smoothest" tube amps and the most "cold and analytical" solid state amps.  Your headphones will yield orders of magnitude more in the way of coloration to your rigs overall sound signature.

In your place I'd probably get a M^3

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I am aware of the issues with using headphones for this purpose, but sadly, I live in an apartment with thin walls and really don't have the luxury of using studio monitors right now.

SVS Realizer - with the included Stax system is less than 1 month's rent in my city for something really big enough, well isolated to put a decent mixing setup in

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks everyone.  I will have to look into all of your suggestions.

Quote:
SVS Realizer - with the included Stax system is less than 1 month's rent in my city for something really big enough, well isolated to put a decent mixing setup in

This is actually extremely intriguing, but I think I'll have to relegate it to the future.  I'm also not incredibly keen on purchasing a company's first version of a new product as it seems like there are always some lessons to be learned once people start using them that are incorporated into future releases.  Thank you though for making me aware that such a thing even exists.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 9
The Realizer has been out for over 3 years, has had a revision to dual output, added HDMI interface

I'm sure considerable amount of possible 1st release bugs would have been found, fixed

the perfect is the enemy of the good - but waiting for perfect does save your wallet in the meantime

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Neutrality, perhaps O2. Or maybe you want to build a gainclone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back