Neutral, Open Headphones between $1000-1500?
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

theaudiologist1

100+ Head-Fier
I want to upgrade from my neutral R70x'es but all the headphones in this range are either warm, or cold, like the HD800's having high treble peaks and the Hifiman headphones being warm, etc.

Anybody know a good headphone between $1000-$1500 ("almost-TOTL" tier?) that is as neutral as the R70x? I HEARD that the following are neutral:

1) Hifiman Ananda
2) Hifiman Aura
3) Focal Clear
4) Focal Elear
5) Audeze LCD-X

But I can't confirm if they are. Anyone know the best open and neutral headphones in this price range (one that's good in all genres?)?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 51
I had AD2000 in past which were kind of forward sounding and I also found less pleasent tonality against planars. Do not know how R70x.

Ananda - have ugly and plastic headband so overal build looks fragile unquality, for me it is no go. Listened them very shortly but it seemed fine though a little shouty sometimes in high frequencies (take it with grain of salt).
Clear - have great dynamics localisation technicality holographic, effort in reality but tones are thinner and mainly it has smaller soundstage, so no go for me for often longer listening but maybe with warmer components who knows, it has potencial, it is good headphone. Elear is warmer and not as good.
LCDX - universal across genres, easy drive, for many reasons it is good option, not as warm as other Audeze. Though I do not like Audeze comfort so no go for me but I had in long past LCD2 and I used to it. Many would desagree but for me X has best tonality from Audeze colection.
Arya - I did not hear but I heard many times HE1000 which is almost identical (from impressions Arya maybe a bit warmer), pleasent tonality, airy, grand soundstage, comfortable. So if you have good setup I am for Arya try them.
ZMF Auteur - from reading it seems popular option as regards neutral headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 51
Sennheiser HD600

I have to agree with @Deolum on this. Despite the low price they're killer. Spend the rest on an amp.

But this is without you telling us what kind of music you listen to.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 51
Sennheiser HD600
The R70x and HD600s, are basically the same tier, not really an "upgrade".

I have to agree with @Deolum on this. Despite the low price they're killer. Spend the rest on an amp.

But this is without you telling us what kind of music you listen to.

I already have a DAC/AMP. I listen to: Baroque, Classical, Romantic (Symphonies, Concertos, Violin, Piano, Cello, Organs), Rock (Classic Rock, Alt Rock, Metal), Electronic (Trance, House, Eurohouse, D&B). But 90% Classical Baroque and Romantic.

UPDATE: Cross out the LCD-Xes they're not good without EQ.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 51

I already have a DAC/AMP. I listen to: Baroque, Classical, Romantic (Symphonies, Concertos, Violin, Piano, Cello, Organs), Rock (Classic Rock, Alt Rock, Metal), Electronic (Trance, House, Eurohouse, D&B). But 90% Classical Baroque and Romantic.

I guess a pair of 800/800S with some judicious use of EQ will be far superb to the 600s for the classical music you mentioned. I like Audeze for classic rock, but they are not neutral so I don't have a recommendation there.

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 51

I've heard many headphones in the 1000-1500 € bracket and imo the HD600 is an upgrade to them. You should stop defining upgrade or not based on the price. That's why things like a Susvara exist.

However the HD600 is not ideal for your music.

Jul 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 51
I guess a pair of 800/800S with some judicious use of EQ will be far superb to the 600s for the classical music you mentioned. I like Audeze for classic rock, but they are not neutral so I don't have a recommendation there.
What about the HD700's? I heard they have a more neutral but similiar sound signature to the HD800's.
I've heard many headphones in the 1000-1500 € bracket and imo the HD600 is an upgrade to them. You should stop defining upgrade or not based on the price. That's why things like a Susvara exist.

However the HD600 is not ideal for your music.
My R70x'es are more neutral than the HD600s. And because they are the same tier, the R70x is better in some aspects and the HD600 in others, etc.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 51
What about the HD700's? I heard they have a more neutral but similiar sound signature to the HD800's.

My R70x'es are more neutral than the HD600s. And because they are the same tier, the R70x is better in some aspects and the HD600 in others, etc.

I don't know, I have not heard the 700s. For me the 800 (have not heard the 800S) is great for classical music if I use the parametric EQ on my RME to flatten the area around 6-10 KHz. The hot treble is gone and you're there in the concert hall or outdoor ampitheatre whatever.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 51

Why are your R70x'es the same tier? Because they're in the same price bracket? That's not how it works.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 51
I don't know, I have not heard the 700s. For me the 800 (have not heard the 800S) is great for classical music if I use the parametric EQ on my RME to flatten the area around 6-10 KHz. The hot treble is gone and you're there in the concert hall or outdoor ampitheatre whatever.
How do you EQ? I've never done EQ, specially after hearing audiophiles never use it. Doesn't it decrease sound quality? And can DSD be EQ'd?

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 51

HD-700’s are a no not neutral at all. I just sold mine as I’m started to thin things out. I would suggest the ZMF Eikons or Auteurs. I have always loved the Eikons from my Amps and Sound Kenzie and not so much the Auteurs but not horrible by any means and do like my Verite opens more than the the Verite closed so from it so IDK but ZMF is a very good to great headphone.

Jul 13, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 51
For 90% classical music you shouldnt discount the hd800 or hd800S. You can get a SDR modded hd800 which lessens the 6k spike, or an 800S which already has this stock. You mentioned you already had an amp but you didnt mention WHICH amp/dac. Running off a good tube amp the hd800 is faaantastic. The only headphone on your list I havent owned is the arya, and yet I STILL own the hd800 for classical music listening.

Trying to find 'the one' headphone that works best with every genre is pretty much a losing battle, but finding a headphone that works with your MAIN music preference, and performs well in others is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back