Neutral Headphones
May 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

geekysarah

New Head-Fier
Hi,
well, I'm into electronic developement and want to get into the DAC/amp toppic a bit deeper. To be able to hear what I've designed I think it makes quite some sense to use sort of a neutral headphone as a monitor.
Which one can I use best for this purpose? I had a HD540 Reference which I liked alot but never had the chance for a comparison to other headphones, so I can't tell.
Regards,
Sarah :)

May 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 8
The problem that always crops up with the word 'neutral' is that everyone seems to have there own idea of what neutral is. The HD800 do sound very transparent, but on paper they have a peaky treble and are missing information at the 2k area where there is a big dip.

AKG past flagships are actually more neutral in regards to a flatter freq response. But can sound very hard and dry because of this. A useful mixing tool none the less.

A happier medium would be the HD600 which is more of an 'ear friendly' neutral and is balanced from top to bottom. It was designed with classical producers in mind.     

May 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 8

These are as close to a flat response as I have ever heard and I have heard 100's of cans. They really don't respond to eq instructs either. I'm a basshead so I driver vented these. But +15dB at 50Hz fed to these and it did nothing. I have never experienced that. Very very frustrating. So I modded them. But like the guy on the box....for Studio monitoring...I imagine this is what is wanted. Sounds like your in a room with the sounds. Not in a good lively way just...your there. 

May 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 8
What's 'neural' is indeed a tricky question, especially when it comes to the question of 'who pays the toys?'....
The procedure I have in mind is to play the same set of tracks with every iteration of my gear, I don't trust my measurings with scope and specrum analyzer, at least I don't have the experience how things sound compared how the readings are.
On the other hand, this headphone should be nice for 'just' listening to music for pleasure.
Sounds kinda tricky, I guess.
:) Sarah

May 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 8
  What's 'neural' is indeed a tricky question, especially when it comes to the question of 'who pays the toys?'....
The procedure I have in mind is to play the same set of tracks with every iteration of my gear, I don't trust my measurings with scope and specrum analyzer, at least I don't have the experience how things sound compared how the readings are.
On the other hand, this headphone should be nice for 'just' listening to music for pleasure.
Sounds kinda tricky, I guess.
:) Sarah

I take this rig and plug everything into it playing the same hit. (I hunt for Bass) but I could not imagine being without a portable amp rig. "A">>"B" comparatives would be impossible unless i bough them. 
I listen then buy ...not buy then listen

I meant these
They were released February 28th and will be re-branded as M-Audio's new 50mm driver cans
I know nothing about neutral cans so I'll back up and shut up. These just did nothing but ignore my eq and proceeded to just deliver colorless, uninspiring stuff. It added nothing. As a basshead it was very sad. So I modded them but prior to that it was like my life through headphones if that makes any sense? Just sound. Not dull, warm,welcoming....nothing

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 8
From what I perceive from listening, both HD540 and HD560 have a significant lack of sonic colouration. Not all HD540 Reference I headphones sound as good as the consistent Ref II but some are just as great. HD560II sounds almost exactly like HD540II except that the former projects a less spatial stereo image IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back