"neutral" closed portable headphones?
Feb 25, 2006 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Scarred Taka

New Head-Fier
I know that this is hard to really achive, but I am looking for a pair of portable headphones that could be considered neutral. I own a pair of DT 880's and would like to find a pair of closed cans that sound similar to them. I am looking for phones that are quick, detailed, neutralish or natural and not bass heavy. A little bit of extra treble is ok though. I cannot wear in ear monitors.

I have looked at Sennheiser HD 25-1's Beyerdynamic DT 250's, Sony V6's and Audio Technica ATH M40's.

The ATH M40's seem like what I'm looking for, does anyone have any experience with these phones?

Are there any other closed portable headphones out there worth considering?

Thank You

S.T.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 15
Based on their frequency response measurements, as well as quite a lot of time listening to them, Beyerdynamic DT 250 seems the closest to neutral. Sony CD3000 would appear to be another good candidate, but they're hard to find.

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Sony MDR-D66SL is worth looking into, also Sennheiser HD280

I'm not so sure about these recommendations. I wouldn't call the Eggos neutral at all, and the HD280 is 1) a whole boatload of extra treble and 2) one of the least portable cans I've tried, even though they collapse.

The MDR-V6's sound somewhat aggressive, so I don't think they fit the "neutral" qualification. Never heard the other ones.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 15
If you can find one, one that someone is attempting to sell, get an ATH-A900LTD. I think you would be surprised with the balance of this one.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 15
If you want neutrality, I'm sure you won't be happy with the HD25-1. Its bass-heavy presentation really colors the music. Pianists acquire outsized left hands; vocalist accompanied by trio becomes trio accompanied by vocalist.

I'll briefly mention the HD25-SP since it is a much more neutral can, but unfortunately it is pretty dark, not quick at all, and the treble is nothing like the DT880's.

Feb 26, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't think you'll find what your looking for in a closed portable headphone. First of all, there aren't too many closed portable cans to begin with, and from what I've read of them, none of them would be characterized as neutral. The HD25-1 mentioned by episiarch is widely considered to be one of the best portable closed headphones, but as you can see from his comments, it doesn't match your criteria.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 15
If your music is classical or jazz, I recommend AKG 271S. The phones are are very neutral. If you upgrade a cable, it is much better, too.
580smile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 15
I love my HD280s, wouldn't call them portable, unless you consider a softball made out of glass portable.
580smile.gif
271s are absoluted great and well balanced can, also not portable. 250s pretty well balanced, but hey, it's a darth beyer. PX200s, bass light IMO, but cheap and portable. Boy, with IEMs out of the equation, it gets pretty tough. Have you tried the UE SF series? It really is a completely different fit from other IEMs.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddroit2005
If your music is classical or jazz, I recommend AKG 271S. The phones are are very neutral. If you upgrade a cable, it is much better, too.
580smile.gif

I take it you would need a headamp to get the best out of them though? Its quite possible he may just want some cans to plug in and enjoy....

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RP2X
I take it you would need a headamp to get the best out of them though? =

Yes. If he wants to get best out of 271S, he needs a head amp. Many people say the 271S are a hungy-power can. But with a decent setup, it will bring a synergy effect.
580smile.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 15
Are 271's portable? I was under the impression that they were a bit large for portable use- i.e. in public, on a bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back