Neumann NDH 20
Feb 24, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #571 of 830
I usually prefer "pro" sounding audio equipment to the "fun" tuned sound signatures, so I was very excited to hear this headphones based on the reviews and decriptions on here, and recently finally got the chance. Tried them in a large German pro audio store with many other headphones to compare to, so I found a good source and threw on some stuff I'm deeply familiar with.

Sadly, I have to say NDH 20 did not live up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong, they were great neutral mixing headphones, flat but not boring. Made me immersed in the songs I was listening to, and brought out the needed details. However, I feel like that's to be expected at this price point, and to truly be worth it, the overall experience should go beyong that. With that said, I didn't feel like they were good enough for the price to be justified.

Of course, they sound better than the lower-end workhorse studio HPs like DT-770, Sony 7506 or Shure 840 / 940, would be ridiculous if they didn't.
What about higher-end pro studio headphones of a somewhat similar price/intended use? When compared to Focal Listen Pro's, Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro, Shure SRH1540, and Adam something, sound-wise the Neumanns didn't stand out as clearly superior. Even compared to the the Focal's, which are half the price. I actually preferred both the DT-1770 and the SRH1540 to the Neumanns on sound quality alone. That's not even touching the comfort and fit.

In that regard, these stand no ground to the competition. Quite heavy, huge amount of clamping force, and the earpads are smaller and shallower than most others. Even after less than half an hour it felt uncomfortable. When the Beyers and Shure are offering a pillow-fortress embrace that is so so appreciated in an extended mixing/mastering session, I honestly don't know how this can compete.

I have to say, despite how this review might sound, I didn't dislike them. The sound is still top-notch, they are built sturdy, and they look great. I would love to have these, but not for this much. I guess the Neumann name and logo is really the reason for a huge chunk of the price, and that's somewhat expected - there aren't many comapnies with that kind reputation when it comes to mics and monitor speakers. However, in the pro headphone game, seems like the old guard still stands at the top.

I'm hoping Neumann will make more headphones as it's a promising start. I remember Focal didn't really do it right at first too - the Focal Spirit suffered from pretty much the same good-sound awful-comfort issue.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #572 of 830
If you have no issue with on-ears, a better bet (maybe best bet?) is Ollo Audio's headphones.

They look enticing, but I prefer a closed back design. I would like a "do all" solution because I have limited space and would prefer not to have two different set's of cans (tracking vs. mixing), although, I realize after some research, that may not be an option.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #573 of 830
I usually prefer "pro" sounding audio equipment to the "fun" tuned sound signatures, so I was very excited to hear this headphones based on the reviews and decriptions on here, and recently finally got the chance. Tried them in a large German pro audio store with many other headphones to compare to, so I found a good source and threw on some stuff I'm deeply familiar with.

Sadly, I have to say NDH 20 did not live up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong, they were great neutral mixing headphones, flat but not boring. Made me immersed in the songs I was listening to, and brought out the needed details. However, I feel like that's to be expected at this price point, and to truly be worth it, the overall experience should go beyong that. With that said, I didn't feel like they were good enough for the price to be justified.

Of course, they sound better than the lower-end workhorse studio HPs like DT-770, Sony 7506 or Shure 840 / 940, would be ridiculous if they didn't.
What about higher-end pro studio headphones of a somewhat similar price/intended use? When compared to Focal Listen Pro's, Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro, Shure SRH1540, and Adam something, sound-wise the Neumanns didn't stand out as clearly superior. Even compared to the the Focal's, which are half the price. I actually preferred both the DT-1770 and the SRH1540 to the Neumanns on sound quality alone. That's not even touching the comfort and fit.

In that regard, these stand no ground to the competition. Quite heavy, huge amount of clamping force, and the earpads are smaller and shallower than most others. Even after less than half an hour it felt uncomfortable. When the Beyers and Shure are offering a pillow-fortress embrace that is so so appreciated in an extended mixing/mastering session, I honestly don't know how this can compete.

I have to say, despite how this review might sound, I didn't dislike them. The sound is still top-notch, they are built sturdy, and they look great. I would love to have these, but not for this much. I guess the Neumann name and logo is really the reason for a huge chunk of the price, and that's somewhat expected - there aren't many comapnies with that kind reputation when it comes to mics and monitor speakers. However, in the pro headphone game, seems like the old guard still stands at the top.

I'm hoping Neumann will make more headphones as it's a promising start. I remember Focal didn't really do it right at first too - the Focal Spirit suffered from pretty much the same good-sound awful-comfort issue.

I would have to say that I agree with 99% of what you said, although I do love my 7506's for what they are. The Neumann's are definitely different, warmer, nicer tonality but IMPO, not mind blowing. Glad to see I'm not an anomaly.

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #574 of 830
I would have to say that I agree with 99% of what you said, although I do love my 7506's for what they are. The Neumann's are definitely different, warmer, nicer tonality but IMPO, not mind blowing. Glad to see I'm not an anomaly.
Not meant to be

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #576 of 830
They look enticing, but I prefer a closed back design. I would like a "do all" solution because I have limited space and would prefer not to have two different set's of cans (tracking vs. mixing), although, I realize after some research, that may not be an option.

They have both closed and open back options i believe.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #578 of 830
So .... after almost a year since the thread started , which one of us here is still keeping ndh-20 and listening to it? and after all these months , what is your opinion about the headphones? interested to start some banters here :wink:

After a few months I still have mine and use them very often.

However, I only like them after EQ.
Without they don't match my various studio monitors (one pair is also from Neumann) at all. The bass needs to be dipped a few db and the upper mids (around 2.1 khz) need to be boosted quite a lot. Without this the mids really sound too muffled to be neutral.

For those who haven't tried: Oratory's EQ settings are a good starting point to find out what the NDH20 is really capable of.
Oratory EQ NDH20

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #579 of 830
After a few months I still have mine and use them very often.

However, I only like them after EQ.
Without they don't match my various studio monitors (one pair is also from Neumann) at all. The bass needs to be dipped a few db and the upper mids (around 2.1 khz) need to be boosted quite a lot. Without this the mids really sound too muffled to be neutral.

For those who haven't tried: Oratory's EQ settings are a good starting point to find out what the NDH20 is really capable of.
Oratory EQ NDH20
thanks , im gonna try to EQ this to see if the result fits me . Which software will i need to do it?

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #580 of 830
Help me to understand...

I am a little underwhelmed by the NDH20.
I feel that the sound stage is smaller than that of my DT770 Pro’s. Not as wide and little closed in. Dare I say...boxy maybe?

I am looking for a great pair of tracking, monitoring and mixing headphones. I tried the Audio Technica

@MSR74,

The main question is what are you using as source to for the NDH 20?
As this will make all the difference, NDH 20 is also 150 Ohms while not hard to drive is still 150 Ohms so like all high impedence, needs current more than anything else, more than straight power or wattage.
So you may need to turn the volume up a little more than you're used to &/or just get a better head amp if you are using a head amp.
Also, it will depend on what music you listen to, regardless of format.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #581 of 830
@MSR74,

The main question is what are you using as source to for the NDH 20?
As this will make all the difference, NDH 20 is also 150 Ohms while not hard to drive is still 150 Ohms so like all high impedence, needs current more than anything else, more than straight power or wattage.
So you may need to turn the volume up a little more than you're used to &/or just get a better head amp if you are using a head amp.
Also, it will depend on what music you listen to, regardless of format.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Thank you for your reply.

I’m using an Antelope Discrete 4 for vocal, music production, monitoring and mixing. I also have Dyn Audio BM5A’s that I don’t use a lot because of space and volume concerns.

Not using a dedicated headphone amp. Volume is fine, volume is also good when I listen through my iPhone dongle. Just not blown away by the sound. I guess I was expecting a little more from Neumann.

I am generally recording Pop and CC but I listen to most genre.I also can see the benefit in using them for classical or Opera and although I’m a classically trained singer I don’t listen to those genres that often.

Enjoy your day!

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #582 of 830
Thank you for your reply.

I’m using an Antelope Discrete 4 for vocal, music production, monitoring and mixing. I also have Dyn Audio BM5A’s that I don’t use a lot because of space and volume concerns.

Not using a dedicated headphone amp. Volume is fine, volume is also good when I listen through my iPhone dongle. Just not blown away by the sound. I guess I was expecting a little more from Neumann.

I am generally recording Pop and CC but I listen to most genre.I also can see the benefit in using them for classical or Opera and although I’m a classically trained singer I don’t listen to those genres that often.

Enjoy your day!

That's alright , my first (good) impression with neumann was how clean it sounds for a closedback , and resolution-wise it's pretty great . It certainly didn't blow my mind away or made me wow , but slowly and steadily ... it grew on me . Now i mainly use ndh-20 instead of some other closedbacks i own!

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #583 of 830
No problem @MSR74,

Ah, synergy problem then...
It's tricky if you don't like the sound of gear, especially in a pro audio setting though subjectively & personally, while I haven't tried Antelope gear in a long time, it's hard to say...
You might need to either find a different headphone more suited to your taste or get something else for your audio chain like a compressor &/or dedicated head amp to give an all round sonic lift as I have found sometimes NDH 20 doesn't have great synergy with some pro gear which can be annoying to some.
As a side note, I prefer PMC, especially the DB 1 Golds for my speaker listening though I have a few other speakers I usually have running simultaneously in pusedo array style.

It's interesting you say you don't like the NDH 20 sound & expecting a bit more since it's a Neumann product, personally & subjectively, I'm not a fan of their speaker monitors which is almost ironic given how much I like the NDH 20.

As @headphonesaddict123 stated, you might just need more time with them.

Hope you both have a great day !

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #584 of 830
@FullBright1 Thank you for the review of the Neumann NDH 20

I am wondering if you or others have compared them with the Audeze LCD-2 and the Audio Technica ATH M50x

I've owned several headphones (including HD600), but the short story is this:

• 80% of my time listening music is with analytical approach (playing, recording, producing, mixing...)
  • I currently own only two full-size headphones: LCD-2 and ATH M50x
  • I am entirely satisfied with the Audeze LCD-2. They are my holy-grail for music production when I cannot use the Studio Monitors (the results that I get with the LCD-2 perfectly translate to the Studio Monitors)
  • I needed closed cans, so I bought the ATH M50x (biased by the hundreds of positive reviews from other musicians) but I do not like how they colour the sound. Listening Heavy Rock with the ATH M50x is a pleasant experience, but they are not accurate.

So, what I would like to know is if the Neumann NDH 20 would be a fair companion of the LCD-2 on the situation where i need closed headphones, and a good replacement for the ATH M50x.

Attachments

• Audeze-LCD-2-Vs-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x.jpg
    Audeze-LCD-2-Vs-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #585 of 830
I used to own m50x and i would certainly take ndh20 over m50x any time!
This headphones has great clarity and resolution ,the sound is thicker than normal "studio" headphones , and arguably has a satisfying bass comparing to other monitor cans (AKG , old beyer maybe....)

On the bad side , sound signature is still a bit too dry for me as i prefer a more lush , natural sound and i wish this headphones had better treble extension .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back