Neumann NDH 20
Feb 20, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #121 of 830
Bottom line it seems like you think I will be able to monitor and mix my music with more clarity with the Neumann’s, right?

Yes.
The Neumann's are designed to be used as a "studio monitors on your head".
And, like any set of monitors or headphones......... you have to learn how to use them when making music.
There is always a learning curve.
Basically, you can use any headphone or set of speakers to mix, create music, ...... you just have to learn about their deficits, and compensate.
The Neumann's let you build your song's sound from a very flat sonic landscape, unlike most "mix" headphones that promise "flat and neutral", but are never this at all.
Take something like the AKG 812s.
This is a quite expensive set of "studio headphones" that are completely inaccurate, especially regarding their buzz-saw, ice pick in the ear drums, treble.
So, if you own them, and try to mix, you have to Eq-Compensate for their horribly etched treble.
With the Neumann's, you are starting, with a basically flat Eq, and you work from there.......you finish a mix, you go and play it on your other headphones, your other speakers, in your car, on your boom-box.
You use all these to represent your music's sound, so that you can dial in HOW to use what you are using to mix and master.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #122 of 830
I have decided to purchase two pairs of these new Neuman headphones to use for tracking vocals. Now I am using some of the usual $100 headphones for tracking. It will be interesting to see how they work in this capacity. Now to find a good price on them .......

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #123 of 830
A german headphone review site has published their opinion on the NDH20 - not sure what to think of it. It's not super positive (yet quite good) but then again it's subjective of course. To sum it up here are the key statements and their simplified frequency response graph:

• great quality and looks
  • very good isolation and comfort
  • works well on low powered devices (laptops, cellphones)
  • incredible bass extension
  • detailed mids
  • highs not overly present and ...
  • ... therefore not a very wide stereo image ...
  • ... and could have greater depth

Neumann.png

The last points still make me shy away from them for now. There is a thread on gearslutz with some interesting opinions on them. Someone claiming they are "even darker and warmer than the focal listen pro's" (that I found to be too warm and too dark as well). Someone else stated that they are "flat but accurate and fantastic". I guess it's one of those headphones that people either like or don't and everyone has hear them to build their own opinion.

EDIT: Just ordered the NDH20 to find out what i'll think about them...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #124 of 830
Hm received them today... Very interesting, but I don't really know what to say about them. But these are my first impressions:

• Boring, but in a good way
  • Great (!) built quality (even though it's made in China)
  • Very comfortable and some very light sound leakage
  • No frequency standing out
  • Less sub bass rumble than expected
  • Modest but precise sound stage
  • Detailed spacial information (reverb/decay)
  • Not upfront at all
--> If I had one word for them I'd be: humble (adj.)

Very different to the Yamaha HPH-MT8 that I currently have here as well - should have kept the K712 Pro for comparison...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #126 of 830
I received mine yesterday. The build quality is impressive. Just the right weight - metal construction - flawless finish - great design and execution. The earpads are similar to Alcantara - much better than velour. They are quite comfortable to me - plenty of ear room - good clamping force and nicely padded headband. They are very efficient - I was surprised about how efficient they are. The sound is sensational ----- er, really not sensational - lack of coloration - even - smooth - flat - revealing - simply passes along to the ears what is in the recording, which is exactly what I wanted. I will be using these for tracking vocals and as one of my mixing headphones. I am delighted with these. More later.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #127 of 830
I received mine yesterday. The build quality is impressive. Just the right weight - metal construction - flawless finish - great design and execution. The earpads are similar to Alcantara - much better than velour. They are quite comfortable to me - plenty of ear room - good clamping force and nicely padded headband. They are very efficient - I was surprised about how efficient they are. The sound is sensational ----- er, really not sensational - lack of coloration - even - smooth - flat - revealing - simply passes along to the ears what is in the recording, which is exactly what I wanted. I will be using these for tracking vocals and as one of my mixing headphones. I am delighted with these. More later.

Sounds like a perfect fit....:)

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #129 of 830
A german headphone review site has published their opinion on the NDH20 - not sure what to think of it. It's not super positive (yet quite good) but then again it's subjective of course. To sum it up here are the key statements and their simplified frequency response graph:

• great quality and looks
  • very good isolation and comfort
  • works well on low powered devices (laptops, cellphones)
  • incredible bass extension
  • detailed mids
  • highs not overly present and ...
  • ... therefore not a very wide stereo image ...
  • ... and could have greater depth

The last points still make me shy away from them for now. There is a thread on gearslutz with some interesting opinions on them. Someone claiming they are "even darker and warmer than the focal listen pro's" (that I found to be too warm and too dark as well). Someone else stated that they are "flat but accurate and fantastic". I guess it's one of those headphones that people either like or don't and everyone has heard them to build their own opinion.

EDIT: Just ordered the NDH20 to find out what i'll think about them...

I don't own the Neumann NDH 20 (yet), but I've owned the Focal Listen Pro's, after they've been burned in for quiet some time, and they were way, way too sibilant to my ears. Just bright, lacking sub-bass and mid-bass to some extend and they were also fatiguing - it's so strange, but this leads me to believe that everyone hears things differently indeed (maybe even vastly differnt) and I'd never ever described the Focals as dark, warm, but rather as bright and treble focused. I could not listen to them very long, no matter which source. In comparison, the Denon D7200, Fidelio X2 (maybe you owned either one of them) sound warm to me with non-fatiguing sound. :xf_eek:

Also, just as a further example, the Denon D7200 sound rather balanced to me with a really pretty much, to me, perfect signature for acoustic instruments, but there was another site which called them majorly lacking in upper frequencies, making them pretty much not a good fit for acoustic music/instruments what so ever. Some even say the miss a lot of details, which I don't think at all, not even in the slightest. :D Just so very interesting...

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #132 of 830
I don't own the Neumann NDH 20 (yet), but I've owned the Focal Listen Pro's, after they've been burned in for quiet some time, and they were way, way too sibilant to my ears. Just bright, lacking sub-bass and mid-bass to some extend and they were also fatiguing - it's so strange, but this leads me to believe that everyone hears things differently indeed (maybe even vastly differnt) and I'd never ever described the Focals as dark, warm, but rather as bright and treble focused. I could not listen to them very long, no matter which source. In comparison, the Denon D7200, Fidelio X2 (maybe you owned either one of them) sound warm to me with non-fatiguing sound. :xf_eek:

Also, just as a further example, the Denon D7200 sound rather balanced to me with a really pretty much, to me, perfect signature for acoustic instruments, but there was another site which called them majorly lacking in upper frequencies, making them pretty much not a good fit for acoustic music/instruments what so ever. Some even say the miss a lot of details, which I don't think at all, not even in the slightest. :D Just so very interesting...

According to how you are describing what you don't enjoy, regarding freq, i'd say you need to stay with Audeze.
Listen....Almost all "popular" "legendary" audiophile headphones, are bright., except for most of the Audeze products.
The reason is..... when we think about "audiophile listening", ..... this is related to clarity and resolution and micro details, being HEARD.
So, you can't have this unless you have some boosting in the 4-10kHz range, and that means, the trebles have to be a little bit hot to get you that ultra insightful analytical musical experience.
Its just the trade off that you have to accept, if you want to hear ALL the music in a way that is very dissecting.
Right now im digging the Ananda's a whole lot.
But, i dont prefer their sound sig, because it hits the slightly hot treble button to get you what it does best, and that is, incredible detail retrieval.
I still like them a lot, but, its not my favorite sound.
They are a really fine gear, but some are going to have an issue with "brightness".
They don't sizzle the treble, but they do manifest it as reasonably etched and airy.
The "airy" is related to how they dial back the mids just a bit, to get you into their world of micro detail analysis.

I'l give you an example... When you are experiencing audiophile trebles, you'll hear strings being plucked, and a breath being taken before a vocalist begins to sing.
You'll hear fingers on frets, and snares resonating.
Many audiophiles are wanting to hear "it all", so, to hear it all you have to have those trebles just a bit etched. Some would argue that insane clarity is achieved by dialing up the resolution, but i feel that its the combination of treble and higher resolution that gets you there.... as treble is related, sonically, to clarity, and clarity to resolution.
Other audiophiles, want to lay in a sweet bed of sound and be engulfed within sonic beauty, and these types cannot deal with the etched trebles that the other types will accept, for the reasons i stated.
You seem to be the "warm beauty experience" type of listener, so, Audeze is made for you.
And another completely overlooked headphone that is what you would love is the Fostex TH500RP
This is one of those warm snd lush and thick sounding headphones that just wraps you up in a smooth sonic hug., and will never even think about offering a treble that could offend anyone.
You might try it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #133 of 830
@FullBright1 do you know how they compare to the Focal Elegía?

I prefer the Quad vs the Elegia.
It satisfies me more.
If you want the Quad, but dont want to spend that much, then get the Alara.
Similar sound signature, and is a bit more resolving.
Unique soundstage.
Its selling price will create a lot of "for sale", and you might wait for a "like new".

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #134 of 830
I prefer the Quad vs the Elegia.
It satisfies me more.
If you want the Quad, but dont want to spend that much, then get the Alara.
Similar sound signature, and is a bit more resolving.
Unique soundstage.
Its selling price will create a lot of "for sale", and you might wait for a "like new".
I was referring to the Neumann, I'm looking for a closed back and I didn't like the Elegia.

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #135 of 830
@FullBright1 do you know how they compare to the Focal Elegía?

I have both headphones. The Sennheisers are more flat and better for mixing, which is my reason for buying them. I really like them. The build quality is excellent and the sound is very good for mixing. The Elegias are more elegant and have a fuller sound. They also have beautiful build quality....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back