Neumann NDH 20
May 24, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #256 of 830
I posted my subjective impressions of the Neumann NDH20 in the previous post. Following are our measurements of it:

Neumann-NDH20---FR.jpg

Fig.1 Neumann NDH20 frequency response

Neumann-NDH-20-versus-Harman-AE-OE.jpg

Fig.2 Neumann NDH20 frequency response, compared to the Harman AE/OE Target

In Fig.2 above, you can see the Neumann NDH20's frequency response compared to the Harman AE/OE Target* (to read the linked paper in full requires its purchase or AES membership).

Neumann-NDH20---THD.jpg

Fig.3 Neumann NDH20 total harmonic distortion (THD)

The Neumann NDH 20's THD is very impressive -- very low (Fig.3 above).

* S. Olive, T. Welti, and O. Khonsaripour, “A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners' Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones,” presented at the 144th Audio Eng. Convention, Milan, Italy (May 2018).

The measurements included in this post were made using:
The Harman AE/OE Target plot data was provided courtesy of Sean Olive, Harman International, Northridge, CA, USA.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #259 of 830
if only i knew how to read these graphs :beyersmile:
@jude I also have the same issue. It would be great if you could write a post or make a video on how to interpret your measurements

May 24, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #261 of 830
Correct me if I'm wrong... But it is 5db bassier than than Harman curve which itself is bass driven. Afterall the curve is a result of consumer research in a sense. We all know what is common reference for bass. Add +5db to it and we're very close to basshead headphones.

Would be cool if we could get a comparative measurements with some well known headphones such as hd650.

Nhd20 might be an excellent headphone but it measures more like something by dr.dre instead of headphones that are normally preferred by professionals.

May 24, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #262 of 830
Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #263 of 830
May 24, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #264 of 830
Graphs tell you nothing.

FR graphs tell you (or at least illustrate) the loudness of a frequency relative to a range of frequencies.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #265 of 830
I heard these an was not impressed... heard some excessive ringing and would very much like to see a CSD to confirm it what happend. There was a Pono player used at the demo site maybe was having some software problem...

Still! Frequency response was excellent when I heard an I'm happy to see the measurements behind that!

May 24, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #266 of 830
Graphs tell you nothing.
Graphs tell you something. But so do recipes. You still have to taste in order to know if you like it or not.

May 25, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #267 of 830
Graphs tell you something. But so do recipes. You still have to taste in order to know if you like it or not.

In the audio hobby - one thing is clear to me after 48 years - strict adherence to either the subjective or objective isn't a likely recipe for success (meeting to goal of audio playback at its best within constraints). The few times I have had nearly ideal set-ups it took a lot of leg work, measurements, room treatments, furniture moves, capacitor in x-over changes, etc. - to get one to the place where the experience essentially becomes subjective. It's like a gateway - but don't be surprised when you get pulled back into the world of objectives to deal with some issue or other.

May 25, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #268 of 830
Good measurements, but seems neutrality is the only highlight (the driver is small, earcups and chamber design are really commonly seen) guess it's better affordable at $300~400. Under that price range I'll give a try.

May 25, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #269 of 830
Good measurements, but seems neutrality is the only highlight (the driver is small, earcups and chamber design are really commonly seen) guess it's better affordable at $300~400. Under that price range I'll give a try.
"Seems". A common word here at Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back