netzero high speed
Apr 12, 2004 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I had aol 8.0 at 24.00 a month and that was the only version that I could use on aol fore my puter. 8.0 was really slow so I tried verizon high speed at 35.00 a month but didn't like it so whent back to aol and suffered with the slow web page loading. I have discovered netzero high speed at 15.00 a month and wow it is really fast loading web pages. It is 5 times faster than aol. Does anyone know about this netzero high speed service?

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 16
I have normal Netzero, I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 16
What didn't you like about Verizon?

I'm using QWest 256K DSL and I wish I were using Verizon 540K DSL.

NetZero is okay - but it doesn't download files too fast.

Don't forget to flush all the AOL caches. You'll probably free up 10G of disk space if you haven't done it in a few months.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 16
Don't know anyone who uses but I'd take a look at www.dslreports.com and search for user reviews.

I use SBC DSL and it has been great for the 2 1/2 years I've used it. Very few instances of downtime and no longer than 3 hours at it's worst.

Started off paying $49 a month but now I just renewed a 1 year contract for $29.

Good service and good rates .. I'd look into it.

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 16
wallijonn
HI: How are you? I don't like the 35.00 price and in one night the modem broke and they said that they will have to send me a new one. I said forget it. By braking I mean that the modem could not reconize its self.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Netzero is awesome. I use it just in case my dsl goes down and the free service they offer isn't too bad. you should really go for dsl or cable, LTUCCI1924. it isn't that much more expensive than netzero high speed. i know comcast has a promotion going on where you can get 3 months of service for only $20. then, after that 3 months are over, you can swtich over to SBC dsl for around $27 a month.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 16
Lou,

I used to have www.isp.com. Their basic 56K was $8.95 and their 5X was $12.95. Unfortunately when I moved I could no longer get 48K. I was lucky if I could get 28K.

So I went with QWest for $21.95 a month. It meets my needs - I can download 130M in about an hour and a half. But at least I can now do system updates.

Cox cable wanted $55 for basic 20 channel TV and cable modem. Now that is expensive. So I'm using rabbit ears and DSL.

But I still miss Verizon 540K DSL. I used to pay $40 a month. And when cable started carrying modems I went cable modem. That was $80 a month for TV & modem.

If you paid $100 for your Verizon modem you should get it replaced for free.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 16
Apr 12, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 16
Just an advisory to avoid Earthlink DSL. I liked them when I first signed up with them, but then I left and came back. It was 1.5Mbps/384Kbps originally. The second time it became 1.5Mbps/128Kbps. Both $49.99/month and a one year contract. The second time I signed up they even tried to screw me out of a new modem (they didn't send one) but still put me on a one-year contract. A few months later when I had to keep calling about problems with disconnections and they said they'd send me a new modem but I'd have to send back the old one. I told them the old one was mine, they never sent me a new one when I re-signed up for service. When the modem was sent it had a note to return the old modem with 30 days or I'd be charged $150. I fired off a not-so-nice email that told them that they'd better not charge me for the new modem, and that if they persisted I would send back the new modem, demand $150 in credits for service, and to be taken off the one-year contract or I'd go to my state attorney general. They never replied to that email, they also never charged me $150 for the new modem. Once my contract is up in June with them I am switching to another high-speed provider since Earthlink is on my manure-list.

From what I have read about those accelerated dial-up services, they simply compress the web pages before they get sent to your computer so it works well with text pages but is no faster for file downloads. Probably a good choice for most people since they just browse the web and get their emails, but real high-speed is better if you like to download lots of files. Does Netzero still have you install that software which takes up 25% of your screen real-estate for ads, or did they eliminate that with their paid service? I used Netzero ages ago when they had completely free service, and the ads annoyed me enough to find another provider.

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #11 of 16
I use Verizon DSL, I get 1.5/128 service for $35, this is the cheapest broadband plan in my area. The "hi-speed" dialup options are simply a standard v92 dialup connection with cache features and server side compression. Textfiles and most webpages load faster, but compressed images and music (most of it is compressed online) will not. Modems can be faulty. Personally I did not have any problems with mymodem, I have a few local friends who have had, they returned their modems and promptly recieved a working one. Hardware often has problems, perhaps you were simply unlucky. Internet access differs very much in different areas, a rant about one particular ISP might not hold true in a different area. But in general, once you get broadband and take full advantage of it, there is no going back to dialup. It would be like going back to coby earbuds, even before I discovered good headphones I could not stand those.

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 16
5X will also only work with Windows. It will not work with Linux.

donovan,

cable internet doesn't have any contracts. but you usually have to have at least basic TV service.

Apr 12, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 16
This is a little off topic but has to do with funnytimes' analogy:

Quote:

It would be like going back to coby earbuds, even before I discovered good headphones I could not stand those.

lol, yes. I remember the days before when I was younger (before I came here), I always kept buying cheap headphones ie. coby and comparing them to stock headphones etc. and was still never satisfied with the sound. I use to always look at the specifications too...lol. Then one day I decided to try a pair of ksc-50's and I was wowed. I never went back to stock headphones. I think its time I introduce my friends to this stuff..I mean I'm thinking how can you use those buds from the 99 cent store...I plugged those things into my denon dcp-150 and they were like the most inefficient earphones I'd ever heard. I had to max out on volume to hear any details...

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 16
wallijonn
HI: The modem was free. I got the netzero high speed because of head-fi. LOL. It was loading so slow I was going crazy. Now it and all my web pages load very fast. I don't download much and Dsl is just over kill and expensive fore what I need. And AOL 8.0 is just as slow at 24.00. Now the netzero high speed has support that cost 1.95 a min. fore the 14.95 but fore 17.00 you get 24 hour phone support so of course I got that.

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by funnytimes
I use Verizon DSL, I get 1.5/128 service for $35,................

I pay that much for 768/128 from verizon.
confused.gif

It seems that I'm taking it in the shorts here.

Lou, my verizon modem has always been a pain. For a long time I had to reboot it at least twice a day. It's better now, and I'm not sure why. I've had this service since before these high speed dial ups were available, and verizon is the only game in town here, unless I want to pay over a $100 a month to the local isp, which would route me through verizon.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back