NetMD for the Mac: Look Here
Nov 27, 2002 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
This is only for OS X, not 9.x:

http://www.sorted.org/~pete/Xmd/

So far, it only addresses titling, but Pete says he'll be getting to the audio part in a later version. Interested parties might want to post words of encouragement and appreciation on the Xmd discussion thread on minidisc.org. (Bug discussions come later.)

I was beginning to think no programmer would ever do this.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Doubtless there are programs that address (if not solve) the mp3 issue on a PC. However, that's an issue to be addressed on another thread (no offense), many of which are available in forums such as http://www.minidiscussion.com/.

For Mac users, the mere fact that someone has written NetMD software for OS X is a milestone, because Sony has no interest in supporting that platform and, until now, no one else has thought the demographic large enough to warrant the programming effort.

I'll be trying this program tomorrow morning to see if it works. For now, I'm just happy the program exists at all.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
I thought MACs were proportionally more popular in Japan so to me it is surprising that there isn't NetMD MAC support.

MAC = Media Access Control, generally referring to an Ethernet card's unique hardware address.

Mac = Macintosh

(Sorry, pet peeve
wink.gif
)

P.S. I always wondered about that, too, since Macs are so popular in Japan. But Sony's never been known for its marketing prowess
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 8
I couldn't get it to work on my iBook... if I've got my N505 plugged in, it crashes on launch... if I launch it then plug the N505 in, it'll stay up until it detects the N505, then crash.

But yeah, this is definitely very very good news
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm not terribly interested in NetMD as a downloading option (since SP mode sounds best). What I am interested in is being able to name tracks, groups and discs with my computer keyboard.

But that's just me.

Here's my second interest: the possible delivery of all NetMD features to *other* Mac users (i.e., people who actually want them).

Should Mac/MD users be deprived just because Sony is more interested in pursuing their control-freak agenda than addressing the needs of their customers? My answer would be no. If I could program well enough to build such an app, I would.

Apparently, some of us respect Sony's customers more than Sony does. I imagine wallijohn might agree with that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back