Netherlands Pre-Party Meet 18-01-09
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #32 of 43
Really sorry ya'll for the long wait BUT here are my impressions:

I was really excited about this meet, most of all because finally I had some sort of a nice setup to bring for a change, besides my portable one. The Akai was huge but I am glad I brought it. It enabled me listening to headphones on a more serious level and with equip I am familiar with so my impressions mean something to me.

AKG K272
Hmm I have never really heard any AKG besides the famous K701 and the K1000, the latter definitely something I enjoyed so I was interested in them.
They sounded a lot less boring than the K701 which was my main issue with them BUT I did only hear them from my portable setup which does not do them any justice. They went real deep which kind of got me by surprise. The only thing I really missed was their attack which is something I like. Just deep is not enough but the punch will have to be there to keep it fun ( to my ears, that is).

When listening to some classical music they kind of failed keeping in control and it started to sound messy. Too bad coz with acoustical works like the famous Eric Clapton they sounded like love to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, long story short; they are not for me.

Audio Technica W1000
Wow, putting them on was a pure pleasure alone! After being used to the seemingly flakey build of the Proline 750 this feels like a huge softness being put on your head which I enjoyed thoroughly! I don't think I have ever felt a more comfortable headphone.

Qua sound I did enjoy them too. They sounded very natural and with acoustical very lovely. When bringing in the electronical stuff they made me bored because they lack bass and speed. I did also miss that when listening to songs from Pink Floyd and when going to Pleymo kind of music it's really a great miss-out for me...but that comfort...mymy, that was quite something.
Again, not for me but I am glad I finally tried them!

Audio Technica ESW10
I was really suprised when I saw them on the meet. It' s not possible getting them here in The Netherlands from a dealer so they have to be imported from the States.
I actually thought of them as one of the possible alternatives for my Proline 750s as I am seriously thinking of replacing them. I am bothered by their hollowness and I keep hearing it so would like to have another one for on the go.

They are soooo light. They are soooo small. They are sooooo pretty.
They feel like horrible when resting on my ears.....
I am not used to that and I just do not like that feeling. They have to be circumaural. Definitely.
Qua sound they are not bad. But I did miss a "great sound" (same issue as with the iGrados for me). I am not sure how to describe this properly... With big headphones you have a bigger sound, more full, richer and more of a "soundstage". I miss that and I know one shouldn't be too demanding for on the go but I can't help myself
wink.gif

I am still trying to find a headphone which has the good characters of the 750 and looses the bad ones. The only headphone so far which does that for me is the Ed9 but to buy another one for outside-use solely is a bit too weird for my current budget and I do not trust my colleagues at work enough for leaving that there. Not that they might steal them but it are always other people who drop your stuff so no way
wink.gif

So far I haven't succeeded. Maybe the PRO900 is something more of my taste and otherwise maybe a HFI650/PRO650 or something in that direction. The next meet at Hans will hopefully give me more exclusion
wink.gif

Sennheiser HD650
Nope, I still TOTALLY dislike them. I can't help it but that bass is just too overpowering for my taste and it lacks a certain sparkle to justify /make up for that bass.
Dark and boring they remain for me even out of my system which does have balls enough to kick it
wink.gif

Sennheiser HD600 (recabled)
Un-very-fortunately this was a recabled version. I REALLY liked it! I have never ever enjoyed a Sennheiser since I married Ultrasone and this was the very first time I did.
THAT was a major surprise. I ran it out of my system, Powerbook ---> Duet ----> Akai ---> HD600, and it totally kicked ass. No more famous sennheiser veil, it was all clear, really forward (especially for what I was used to hear from them), really an exciting sound, detailed and powerful (I love my amp). A very natural sound (the HD650 is farrrr from natural to my ears) and I immediately understood why people could like them. I still do not understand you can like them out of a portable but hey, different tastes makes for difference in opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

When listening to Pleymo however, where speed and punch are very important and raw guitar sound, that's where they didn't impress me. Pleymo is music which you have to feel, literally, in your body. It's so powerful. The HD600 lacks in giving me that feeling so still, it's not my thing but boy, was I in for a surprise when I heard it. I can now say my brother is NOT a loon (well, he is, but a little bit more sane now
wink.gif
for loving these headphones so much.

Too bad they were recabled coz I do not have a clue whatsoever as to what kind of difference a / that recable made. I would really love to hear them again but then stock version. And I am more than looking forward now to hearing them balanced one day. Really really cool and by far the coolest thing I heard on that meet!

End of story - short wrap-up
I LOVE my Ed9!!!

I am sorry it took so long for me to post this. I have been working my ass off to get things done and here's part of the "issue":
affiche5smallerrt9.jpg

Opening will be March the 15th starting from 14:30. Anyone wanting to come feel free to do so! I hope it'll be great. It costs a ****load of work all the preparing and designing of the invitations,posters etc. so I hope it'll be a blast.

Final
Thank you again Rik for the hospitality and I hope we all meet again soon!

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #33 of 43
My dear Indra, thanks, I l..e y..
wink.gif

Thank you for you impressions, finally somebody get this thread to life...

How about the extra pics meid...

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #34 of 43
Finally some impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Trouwens voordat die leipe Amerikanen het vragen.. Moonen is je achternaam?

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dear Indra, thanks, I l..e y..
wink.gif

Thank you for you impressions, finally somebody get this thread to life...

How about the extra pics meid...

You are more than welcome , Sergei! I was already afraid no one would read them as it's been so long ago haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Extra pics...I don't really have that many...I was more listening to stuff and chatting than photographing ....Better next time
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally some impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Trouwens voordat die leipe Amerikanen het vragen.. Moonen is je achternaam?

Yup, dat is mijn achternaam haha! "Indra Moonen eet veel bonen" kreeg ik vroeger veel te horen
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
none of those pictures are indra

I miss you too, Dan
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are more than welcome , Sergei! I was already afraid no one would read them as it's been so long ago haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Extra pics...I don't really have that many...I was more listening to stuff and chatting than photographing ....Better next time
wink.gif

Yup, dat is mijn achternaam haha! "Indra Moonen eet veel bonen" kreeg ik vroeger veel te horen
biggrin.gif

I miss you too, Dan
wink.gif

Indra, werk uw ezel ook veel niet weg!
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Oeps.. In het engels heeft het een andere betekenis he.
wink.gif
Ach ja ik zit in het zelfde schuitje. Probeer maar eens te rijmen op Nick.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

wink.gif

Haha, dan ben ik beter af idd
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

wink.gif

Quote:

Haha, dan ben ik beter af idd
biggrin.gif

Haha!! I was thinking about moonwalking till I realized (just now) what it really meant
eek.gif
I am not sure who's better off now
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back