Neophyte wanting to build a great portable rig
Apr 4, 2004 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tbren56

New Head-Fier
Hello All,
Thanks for a great place to come and learn.
I have been lurking and reading for two weeks now and have a few basic questions about building a a portable rig.

So far I have purchased a Rio Nitrus. Is this capable of reproducing good sound? I am concerned about the storage, as I assume one must put large file sizes (320kbps) to maximize the sound quality.

My headphone is the Ety ER4p. (should arrive tomorrow)
In order to get the most out of these I should make sure that my music is of high enough quality.
This leads me to the next question.

How do I know that the CDs that I have ( mostly bought from stores, some copied from friends, some downloaded from Walmart) are good enough quality? And...
What is the preferred method to put these on my Rio?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newcomer.
Tim.

Apr 4, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm probably not the most helpful person who will answer your thread, but I have a couple of things to say.

First, you must always remind yourself that it is a portable audio device you have, not an audiophile player
of some sort. So trying to get the 'best sound possible' out of it might be a good thing at some point, but
on a noisy bus (or train...), does it really matter? Probably not.

Next, about your need for 'good enough quality songs'. I guess the best way to find the best quality/size
ratio is to test some of them yourself. Try ripping your music in whatever format you will want to use (I'm
guessing you're going to use MP3) in VBR (192-320kbps) and then CBR 192, 256, 320kbps... See whichever
suit your ears the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I use Exact Audio Copy to record WAV files. Then I use RazorLAME as an easy way to use the LAME MP3 encoder.
biggrin.gif

tbren, you can also use EAC to help determine how your cd-r's were sourced. Tools > Process WAV / Display > Spectral View.

Use "secure mode" to rip anything you are going to be burning. But, IMO, burst would be fine for stuff you are just going to encode for your Rio--if saving time matters to you. And personally, I would just encode at 192.

Apr 6, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by MechanicalMan
tbren, you can also use EAC to help determine how your cd-r's were sourced. Tools > Process WAV / Display > Spectral View.

Use "secure mode" to rip anything you are going to be burning. But, IMO, burst would be fine for stuff you are just going to encode for your Rio--if saving time matters to you. And personally, I would just encode at 192.

I agree...nothing wrong with 192 vbr for your circumstances....probably better than you need for noisy environments...but gives you a little room to grow into (if) you become more discerning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back