Neil's Portable Rig Pictures
Oct 12, 2002 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

neil

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, while not a knock-out punch, the sound quality per pound is just about top-notch:

0009.jpg

A Pelican 1200 Case. Obviously, durable enough to handle the likes of me.

0010.jpg

The Pelican Case open. Foam padding at the top and bottom of the case.

0011.jpg

Head-Fi Spaghetti (TM)

0012.jpg

Sony Discman D-131, JMT Blue META42 Amp, 1/8" M-M patch cable, Etymotic ER-4S, Sennheiser HD-600.

Also on the table, but not mentioned, is a 6 pack of Diet Coke (which I gave up recently -- no more soda pop), a Dell Inspiron 7500 notebook with 512 MB of RAM, a fish tank, a pit bull (my dog Livvy), my wife's purse, a broken Microsoft optical mouse, and a calorie counting book.
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 28
pfff, you call that portable? I'd like to see you put that pelican in your pocket!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 28
Well, I guess if I left the HD-600s at home and just travelled with the Blue META42, my Etys, and lets say, an MP3 player -- that would be ultimately portable.

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 28
RickG...that blue thing next to the in-focus Ety case resembles what I built for you. But it's hard to tell. That thing in the picture could be almost anything.
wink.gif

Nice pics Neil! Maybe next time you can take a pic of the Ety case and get the META in focus.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 28
**looking at Neil's avatar**

No wonder the pic looks like it does.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Posted by the Samsonite Gorilla:

A zoom in of the JMT Blue META42. I wish I had a better dig cam:

Ask Jude if you can borrow his......
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 28
Neil:

What are your thoughts about the D-131 in general?

The reason why I ask is that I have the D141 which I recently purchased from EBay.

I've not listened to it extensively but my initial impression was that it's headphone out totally smoked both my Sony DE-J955 and my Panny SL-CT790.

I do have some problems with it when used portable as my main use is listening on the bus which causes lots of probs with vibration.

Straight out to my Senn MX500s I was impressed. I really must get a decent portable amp.

Sound As Ever
Listening to James Taylor - Greatest Hits
on Krell MD10/Studio Dac >-- Audiolab 8000 Pre >-- 2 x Rotel RB970s >-- Spendor SP3/1 monitors.

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Neil:

What are your thoughts about the D-131 in general?

The reason why I ask is that I have the D141 which I recently purchased from EBay.

I've not listened to it extensively but my initial impression was that it's headphone out totally smoked both my Sony DE-J955 and my Panny SL-CT790.

Oh, the headphone out on the D-131 is pretty damn powerful and I like the tone that it sends out compared to the Panasonics we have sitting around the office -- far more balanced and not too bass heavy. However, one thing I did notice the other day is that I cranked the volume to 11 (okay, its max), and it just couldn't drive the HD-600s on very mellow tunes (I was listening to The Sundays and some Chopin from the headphone out (no amp) and I knew I was lacking some detail, so I changed the batteries and cranked it). Then, I immediately compared it to the sound quality hooked into a CHA47, and it only took about a quarter-turn of the volume knob and on the amp, and the sound was full again. So, compared to other CD players I really do like the D-131 -- and indeed, I could drop a pin on it, and it will pause/skip; however, it can't drive my Senns from here to the neighbors house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back