Neil Young-Cortez the Killer
Jan 6, 2006 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to this song right now and I love it, I just love it. Why it's not on a best of I got a while ago I have no idea, because it's up there with 'Stairway to Heaven' for an epic song that is just brilliant. If you like soft rock and haven't heard this song, listen to it please. That's all I have to say really but I'd like to hear what you all think of Neil Young's music and this song as well. It just flows so well and there's never a dull moment, in my mind it's what soft rock should be like. Oh and if anyone has any suggestions of similar artists to Neil Young that would be great.

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 15
Umm, no offense, but Neil is soft rock the way James Brown is white. Have you ever heard Weld or Ragged Glory?

Try Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Mark Knofler. If you like a country twing, then Lyle Lovett, Lucinda Williams or Gillian Welch

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm not sure if you've heard it, but the Dave Matthews Band does a cover of this on The Central Park Concert with Warren Haynes
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 15
i think i have a live version of it ,
Great song , it has kind of a sadness in it which is IMO beautifull.

i've heard some of his songs ( heard most of the harvest album ),
the music is nice and all but his voice , his voice ...
( no offense to his fan but he just sound like an old lady to me )

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GodsMadClown
Umm, no offense, but Neil is soft rock the way James Brown is white. Have you ever heard Weld or Ragged Glory?

Try Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Mark Knofler. If you like a country twing, then Lyle Lovett, Lucinda Williams or Gillian Welch

I have to agree with the angry clown, but I think you may have a different take on the term soft rock than he or I have. I consider it to be wimpy crap, so putting Neil in that category is offensive. E.g.:

"Soft rock music isn't rock, and it ain't music. It's just soft." - George Carlin

I don't think you have to go further than Neil's early albums to find TRULY rocking songs like Sedan Delivery, Like a Hurricane, or Cinnamon Girl. And try listening to Cortez on Live Rust--it rocks up significantly. Crazy Horse concerts are blistering affairs with incredible rock and roll through and through. Like a Hurricane is aptly named because it literally blew me away at one show. I don't think that James Taylor or Seals & Croft could muster the same kind of energy.

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Best cover I've heard was by Built to Spill.

This post slipped in before my last one. If I have 20 minutes to listen to one song, that Built to Spill Live version is an awesome way to do it!
basshead.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'm not sure if you've heard it, but the Dave Matthews Band does a cover of this on The Central Park Concert with Warren Haynes
tongue.gif

Speaking of Warren Haynes... you outta to hear his band Gov't Mule play it on Live With a Little Help From My Friends.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 15
Yes...'king of obvious' award - Neil Young rocks. Cortez is an outstanding song that BTSpill do great justice to. I always esp. enjoy hearing Neil on vinyl and tend towards 'On the Beach' as my personal fave.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Ironic, I am listening to Neal Young right now myself: the bonus DVD "Live at Vicar St." that comes with the "greendale" CD. It is an excellent solo acoustic performance, and I am really liking it. If you have not heard it, you should check it out. I also highly recommend Neal's newest: "Prairie Wind". I consider that to be the best album I bought in 2005.

I will definitely try "Cortez The Killer", on the "Zuma" album I believe. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 15
Neil always brings me back home...I love listening to him when traveling, especially in the "3rd World" countries.

There recently have been some artists that are different, but Neil Young esq?!? Try Bright Eyes: "I'm Wide Awake It's Morning"; Ryan Adams: "Cold Roses"

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 15
Does anyone have the Live Rust album? I have the CD and I heard they chopped a considerable length off of Cortez The Killer for the CD release. Anyone know if this is true?

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah that Cortez by Dave Mathews/Haynes is awesome !

Live Rust rocks also, I love the Powderfinger
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back